+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: League 1 Player Salaries

League 1 Player Salaries

Now I know it’s only The Peterborough Telegraph, but there’s a report on the top League 1 earners, and there’s some interesting entries. Barry Bannon is tops at a reported £21,000 a week which on balance may be good value but not judging by his efforts at the 0-0 Pride Park game recently imo, Connor Hourihane is 12th and top Derby player at 12k, Jason Knight supposedly on 10k and James Collins on just over £8k. Most of those listed are on-loan players so salaries dictated a bit by parent clubs I guess

Might be a load of old *******s but here’s the link if you’re interested

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/...kMgM6XXHesKNuA

Yes interesting, obviously some of those salaries relate to contracts when clubs were in the championship and as you say loan salaries, where the club might not be paying the full whack. Even at £5k a week which seems about average for the "bigger" clubs, thats in excess of 20K per month, or over £250K a year! Hardly surprising then that clubs have trouble paying their way.

Then you have Sibs on a massive 1800-ish a week, about 95K a year.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Then you have Sibs on a massive 1800-ish a week, about 95K a year.
    Mm sources on tinternet reckon its 8K a week?

It was back end of last season that I saw that figure on tinterweb thingy. Might have changed since then...

Surely if Sibs was on a salary anything like £8k per week it would be a long standing arrangement and he would have been one of the first to be sold by Quantuma. Find it hard to believe the internet on this one.

all I can say is type salary sport Derby County wages into google and I'd say the figures given are realistic, though whether they are accurate who knows? There may well have been a contract extension or a renegotiation after the takeover.

Quantuma were selling only when required, they did after all have to keep the club functioning, plus a player either agrees to a transfer or doesn't and I doubt Sibley was one of the higher earners in the championship.

Yep...seen that. If true it’s a real eye opener in all sorts of ways and makes Sibley our 4th highest earner...or fifth if you include Bielik who the same source suggests is on £20k per week.

As I think you initially suggested it gives us a weekly playing staff wages bill of around 150k and raises questions about the sustainability of all football clubs.

The reason I mentioned Quantuma is that they more or less gave Shinnie away about a year ago so the ‘sense’ behind it must have been to save on wages and seeing the figures you’ve quoted I’m now even more surprised we’ve hung onto Knight and Sibley for whom there was no shortage of suitors this time last year.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

As I think you initially suggested it gives us a weekly playing staff wages bill of around 150k and raises questions about the sustainability of all football clubs.
    An average of 150K a week pans out to £7.8M a year. Average gates of 25000 at an average £20 a pop over 23 games is £11.5M. Add merchandising, sponsorships, advertising on top of that and we seem to be doing well, financially. In the few years prior to Covid I'm sure we were reported as having an annual income of somewhere between £25M and £30M. Even doubling wages looks about break even with income probably being down to £20M ish at the moment.

Not a lot of sponsorship money from NSPCC and TV revenue down a lot I imagine. Be surprised if it's as much as 20m turnover and don't forget we have to pay ERNI on top of your wages figures now we have rejoined the tax payers alliance which we had left for the past 2cyears!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)