+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Andy Murray

Andy Murray

Just won his second round match at the Australian Open in a match that lasted 5 hours and 45 minutes .

He was two sets down and a break down in the third set against a much younger and Australian player , the match finished at 4.45am Melbourne time .

The thing is he's 35 years old with a metal hip and his first round match went to five sets too and lasted 5 hours .

The man is a phenomenon , a true competitor and one of the finest sportsman Scotland and the UK has ever produced , he's right up there with Redgrave in my opinion .

What kind of shape he will be in for Saturday's third round match is debatable but what a performance from Andy .

“Bionic Man” absolutely superb, a credit to the sport and his country.

Fair play to him for getting back to a very good standard of tennis. I thought he might call it a day with the hip issue but the man is a phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Fair play to him for getting back to a very good standard of tennis. I thought he might call it a day with the hip issue but the man is a phenomenon.
    After losing in five finals at this slam in Melbourne it's obviously a dream that he could finally win it .

Wouldn't that be something to round off a brilliant career .

Saying that if he can even walk this morning it would be an achievement .

Av nivva tekken to his mam Judy Murray screaming, howling and wailing like a banshee in the crowd.

And I have to tut tut when Andy's face is contortrd with rage smashing his racket if he loses. Bad example to kids regarding sportsmanship.
    But I agree he has done well.

Alas a step too many this morning and Murray was beaten in four sets .

However for the first two sets Andy could hardly put one foot in front of the other until he dug deep in the third and won the tie breaker , he was 4-6 down in the tie break with his opponent with two match points .

If his opponent thought he'd won it at that point he was seriously mistaken because Andy rattled off four straight points with some breathtaking winners including a couple of sublime drop shots with his Spanish opponent rooted to the base line .

Cracking stuff .

The fourth set went to serve but at 4-4 Andy's fatigue finally caught up with him and he lost his own serve to love , he looked absolutely knackered .

But wait .

With his opponent serving for the match Andy knocks two crushing forehands past the Spaniard this after getting back two thunderous first serves that he'd no right to get back 10 years ago never mind now and it's love - 30 .

Unfortunately that was that and the Spanish lad won four on the bounce to take the match and to be fair a deserved victory overall .

Cracking stuff though and thoroughly enjoyable .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Didn’t watch the game but “WOW”
    Great stuff.