+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Creeping Americanisation of British English usage.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Does this annoy anyone else or am I the only dinosaur on here?

My latest pet peeve is the use of 'likely' as an adverb, even on the BBC. For example, the American-style 'Chesterfield will likely cheat at some point' rather than the English 'Chesterfield will probably cheat at some point'. (They could, of course, say 'Chesterfield are likely to cheat at some point' and that would be fine, but they don't.)

Of course there are dozens of other creeping Americanisations in this era of globalised entertainment and media but this one is all over the place at the moment. It grates every time I hear or read it. Does anyone else find it annoying?
    Won't take it personally Swale! I know I often write like this and it's because it fits in with the narrative, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Another one for me, not necessarily an Americanisation, is when people say, so and so, off of the tele or so and so off of the radio. It is surely just 'off the tele/television/radio' or 'from the tele/television/radio'. I first heard Scott Mills off of Radio1 first say this, lol.
    'Gotten'....grrrrrrr
    Yes, that superfluous 'of' really grates!

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Won't take it personally Swale! I know I often write like this and it's because it fits in with the narrative, sorry.
    Haha nothing to do with your writing I assure you, it really annoyed me on BBC News this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Easily solved by them saying 'Chesterfield will definitely cheat at some point'.
    Ha Ha Ha

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Haha nothing to do with your writing I assure you, it really annoyed me on BBC News this morning
    I know mate, but i know I do tend to slip the odd Americanism in now and then.

Another one is the use of 'different than' instead of 'different from'. Grrr.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    That made me chuckle

Not the same but I absolutely hate people starting a sentence with "Yeah, No" That really grinds my gears!!!
    Kyle Wootton in practically every interview.

Does anyone say Dinner and not Lunch, that peeves me and won't say it, growing up we had breakfast, dinner, tea, supper. Where did Lunch come from

Nothing can ever be as annoying as the "High rising terminal" (statements inflected to sound like a question). Fine if it's those from down under or Northern Ireland, that's their accent, but Americans and English people using it sound like total divs.

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Does anyone say Dinner and not Lunch, that peeves me and won't say it, growing up we had breakfast, dinner, tea, supper. Where did Lunch come from
    Personally I have dinner at dinner time (in the evening) and lunch at lunchtime.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast