+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Careless Tories!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    He was...but only flippantly because this seems to be the only comeback the current regime, and its supporters seem to have.... ‘think how bad it might have been under Corbyn!’

Well, I was never a fan, and it might have been bad...but would it really have been any worse than the state we find ourselves in today where virtually all the public sector is taking industrial action and we are governed by a Party that is virtually devoid of integrity, leadership and decency?
    Yes, we wouldn't even have needed global pandemic and warfare to help, but I was being flippant too. I agree with the main point Swale posted.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    Ultimately the Rich seem to get away with it. people should be punished for being 'careless', but everybody equally and not let off because of wealth or status.
    But those with wealth and status choose the game played and deal the cards, and for all the bleatings of those who bleat the only 'action' most take is to tick a box once every five years to swap from one set of goons to another, who would still IMO remain in thrall to the powerful.

Changing to a more competent administration would be great but doesn't mean changing to one moreable to balance the inequities you seek. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    Yes, we wouldn't even have needed global pandemic and warfare to help, but I was being flippant too. I agree with the main point Swale posted.
    I was reacting more to Sunak, and others, who start gleefully bleating about Corbyn whenever Starmer criticises the Tory performance.
    He’s yesterday’s news...a well intentioned mistake at best and, imo, completely irrelevant to all that has happened since the last election.
    It’s interesting though that both you and GP who I, maybe wrongly, identify as both being relatively right wing and better informed about economic matters than most on here, both seem to agree that Zahawi needs to be held to account. Indeed, there seems to be virtually universal agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    He was...but only flippantly because this seems to be the only comeback the current regime, and its supporters seem to have.... ‘think how bad it might have been under Corbyn!’

Well, I was never a fan, and it might have been bad...but would it really have been any worse than the state we find ourselves in today where virtually all the public sector is taking industrial action and we are governed by a Party that is virtually devoid of integrity, leadership and decency?
    That was the rather flippant point I was making - though lets be clear, a lot of the criticism aimed at him was by people absolutely terrified he might actually make the rich and powerful accountable and help out the less well off in society, but hey ho.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    But those with wealth and status choose the game played and deal the cards, and for all the bleatings of those who bleat the only 'action' most take is to tick a box once every five years to swap from one set of goons to another, who would still IMO remain in thrall to the powerful.

Changing to a more competent administration would be great but doesn't mean changing to one moreable to balance the inequities you seek. IMO
    Yes indeed my fingers slipped - £3.7 million I believe was the figure - or an unaccounted sum of £27 million not taxed!

Cant argue with that, I was talking to someone who used to be a friend of mine not so long ago, but when they started eulogising about farage and his GB news show, we quickly fell out - I was able to factually counter most of what was claimed, but they didn't care, I shrugged my shoulders and said I feel for you, but there we go.

The avoidance of jail isn't that strange, HMRC, rarely prosecute unless they have a cast iron case, they much prefer to reach an agreed settlement plus a penalty surcharge (30% by the way is at the higher end so more than just careless!) its cheaper in terms of legal and manpower costs and secures the payment of tax.

Becker by the way was jailed in the UK for lying about assets in a bankruptcy case, he was jailed in Germany for tax avoidance, but thats another matter.

For me, irrespective of whether he intentionally or accidentally omitted to pay the tax required, being an MP should mean more demanding standards than on the average citizen and this sort of "error" should result in resignation as a minister, at the very least, but also resignation as an MP. Neither of course will happen as Johnson set the bar very low and this set of incompetents will just brazen it out.

However, there is more to run on this story and it may be he will have to resign as a minister.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    For me, irrespective of whether he intentionally or accidentally omitted to pay the tax required, being an MP should mean more demanding standards than on the average citizen and this sort of "error" should result in resignation as a minister, at the very least, but also resignation as an MP. Neither of course will happen as Johnson set the bar very low and this set of incompetents will just brazen it out.

However, there is more to run on this story and it may be he will have to resign as a minister.
    He may lose his ministers job, he’ll probably lose his seat at the next election even if selected, but, going back to Sith’s wider point, none of that will make him any less wealthy (or at most only marginally so).

100% agree with all that. Broadening the topic a little...is it any wonder that there is little sign of any settlement with some of the most responsible and valued members of society - ambulance drivers, nurses, junior doctors, train drivers - when we look at the level of incompetence and dishonesty which currently typifies our ‘rulers’?

You know the story, never trust a Tory.

Windfall Tax. Sounds good until you realise they've "given back" tax credits down the road that will repay more than the windfall tax has delivered.

These extra, accidental, profits should be highly taxed. On the other hand, if the energy or other sector should have an "accidental bad year" then a reverse should apply in which they pay less than the going rate. If the poor year is down to bad management then that's tough 5h1t. Firms should neither win nor lose from external, uncontrollable influences, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    He may lose his ministers job, he’ll probably lose his seat at the next election even if selected, but, going back to Sith’s wider point, none of that will make him any less wealthy (or at most only marginally so).
    Oh absolutely, money equals power and thats a dynamic that is well understood. Though maybe not by many voters, or is it that they believe the Tories will enable them to achieve the same? One does wonder why wealthy people like him and Sunak go into politics though?

He will not lose his seat in Stratford upon Avon! I used to live there and its solid Tory, they have had some dodgy characters, Profumo being one, I vaguely remember that scandal at the time, didn't stop them voting another Tory in. Kind of place where a donkey with a blue rosette would get elected!

Oh absolutely, money equals power and thats a dynamic that is well understood. Though maybe not by many voters, or is it that they believe the Tories will enable them to achieve the same? One does wonder why wealthy people like him and Sunak go into politics though?

He will not lose his seat in Stratford upon Avon! I used to live there and its solid Tory, they have had some dodgy characters, Profumo being one, I vaguely remember that scandal at the time, didn't stop them voting another Tory in. Kind of place where a donkey with a blue rosette would get elected!
    You do wonder yes why they do go into politics. Even Starmer is a multi millionaire and while he probably has the easiest job in politics right now if he gets in that wont always be easy.

If i had money like that the last thing id want to do is put my neck above the parapet because at some point its probably going to go south. They probably believe they can make changes for the better and have a lasting legacy, but in reality history say different, few PM's that i can remember are fondly remembered after their time in office is up.

Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)