+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Careless Tories!

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    You do wonder yes why they do go into politics.
    Ego...opportunity...and in a minority of cases...a genuine desire to improve things?

Anyway...Johnson says it’s all ‘absolute nonsense’. Now where have we heard that before?

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    You do wonder yes why they do go into politics.
    IMNPO? There are two types who want to go into politics, those humble types who want to make a difference, and those who want to oil the wheels for their own benefit. Giving current examples here will just cause the usual outrage but it’s a slam-dunk that Zahawi falls into the latter

Of the 650 current incumbents I'd wager 649 gall into the latter category and I'm not sure about the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    IMNPO? There are two types who want to go into politics, those humble types who want to make a difference, and those who want to oil the wheels for their own benefit. Giving current examples here will just cause the usual outrage but it’s a slam-dunk that Zahawi falls into the latter
    Pretty much, and it doesn't matter which colour rosette they wear either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    Pretty much, and it doesn't matter which colour rosette they wear either.
    You say that...and, to an extent I agree, but the list I produced in post #6 would suggest otherwise...and support the notion that corruption and a tendency towards self serving opportunism is endemic within the current Tory Party.

Piggott and Becker both got jailed for what appears to be the same or a similar "offence". It also appears that Zahawi isn't the object of a police investigation. I wonder why...

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    You say that...and, to an extent I agree, but the list I produced in post #6 would suggest otherwise...and support the notion that corruption and a tendency towards self serving opportunism is endemic within the current Tory Party.
    Two arguments against that. 1. You’re clearly biased, and bias versus balance or bias versus non-opinion will always produce bias, and 2. Using a football analogy (not mine but it’s a good one) people only find fault with the referee. They don’t find fault with people who aren’t the referee

Two arguments against that. 1. You’re clearly biased, and bias versus balance or bias versus non-opinion will always produce bias, and 2. Using a football analogy (not mine but it’s a good one) people only find fault with the referee. They don’t find fault with people who aren’t the referee
    A bit like nobody has slated the assistant for missing the ball being out of play for the Bolton goal. I do find fault with referees. As one myself, I feel I can reasonably judge whether a ref has had a good un or a stinker. Stephanie Frappart was likely the best of them at the World Cup. World Cup referees Wilton Pereira Sampaio and Antonio Mateu Lahoz were 2 of the worst referees I've seen at a professional game. I've criticised a fair few who have refereed Derby this season but by no means all of them. I don't expect them to be perfect. Just to be consistent in the way they apply (or don't apply) the Laws of the game and to get the big calls right.

Bit of a non argument that, imo. I’ve produced, off the top of my head (didn’t even mention Williamson), an objective list of Tory ‘wrongdoers’ and or scandals that have arisen over the last two or three years.

There’s little, if anything, to argue with on that list - it’s completely factual - and it was offered up, as I said at the time, in the interests of ‘balance’ to counter the, imo no longer relevant, Corbyn claims. If you don’t agree about my examples then challenge them by all means, don’t just accuse me of ‘bias’. So far nobody has.

Am I biased? Well I’m certainly opposed to the Tory Party in it’s current form and I’m most definitely biased against the sleaze, corruption and back stabbing which currently appears, imo, to be endemic within the Party of Government.

Are you biased? Well you certainly appear to jump to the defence of the Tories at every opportunity, albeit not very effectively.

As for the ‘football analogy’...it doesn’t really work imo. People don’t only find fault with the referee...they also find fault with others...the opposition, their own players, the manager, VAR etc.
    In any case I’m not sure who, in your ‘analogy’, you’re identifying as the political equivalent of the ‘referee’.

P.S. Ironically my ‘bias’ as you call it might yet see me voting for an Independent Conservative at the next General Election...words I thought I’d never say.
    There is a rumour, nothing more at this stage, in the Derbyshire Dales that Sarah Dines is considering giving up her very safe Tory seat to her mate Boris Johnson at the next election. If that happens former (and decent) Tory MP, Matthew Parris has said he will stand against him. He’ll have my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not that you'd carry any petty allegiance bias into your analysis of course!!

But more to the point MPs in opposition don't quite get the opportunities to get their snouts in the trough than those in power do.

I'm sure both sides of the spectrum would equally get their snouts in were they all to have the same chance. But its easy when an opposition backbencher to claim the memorial high ground as noone wants to "buy you"

Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)