+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 51 of 91 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Careless Tories!

It seemed pretty popular to me, I was in London coronation weekend and it was a really good atmosphere with streets packed with people.

I think there are 4 groups of people, those totally pro monarchy, those who sort of like it (I'd say I fall into that category), those who have few feelings either way, and those that are anti monarchy.

Personally I don't think I know anyone who is anti, I'd say most fall in the middle two categories.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    It seemed pretty popular to me, I was in London coronation weekend and it was a really good atmosphere with streets packed with people.

I think there are 4 groups of people, those totally pro monarchy, those who sort of like it (I'd say I fall into that category), those who have few feelings either way, and those that are anti monarchy.

Personally I don't think I know anyone who is anti, I'd say most fall in the middle two categories.
    I can think of at least three on here.

More seriously though...it would have been a good atmosphere wouldn’t it? Largely because those who were there were monarchists and those who were actively anti were threatened with arrest.
    Fact is...in 1953 about 20 million folk watched the Coronation out of a population of about 50 million...and in 2023 about 20 million folk watched the Coronation...out of a population of 67 million.
    I guess there was less to do in 1953 but then television is infinitely more accessible in 2023 so you have to make of it what you will...either way it doesn’t suggest that the monarchy is anything like universally popular.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I can think of at least three on here.

More seriously though...it would have been a good atmosphere wouldn’t it? Largely because those who were there were monarchists and those who were actively anti were threatened with arrest.
    Fact is...in 1953 about 20 million folk watched the Coronation out of a population of about 50 million...and in 2023 about 20 million folk watched the Coronation...out of a population of 67 million.
    I guess there was less to do in 1953 but then television is infinitely more accessible in 2023 so you have to make of it what you will...either way it doesn’t suggest that the monarchy is anything like universally popular.
    Ah but Derby are not universally popular but you still are supportive of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    That sounds dangerously like an anecdote GP, I thought we weren’t allowed them - if we were I’d concur that my tiny sample was the same
    Your allowed them, but to draw any definitive conclusions from them is likely to lead to a misrepresentation of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Ah but Derby are not universally popular but you still are supportive of the club.
    Mm are Man U universally popular?

Probably not to the extent of 40% of the global population...

I’m cat 2 edging to cat 1, this forum seems unrepresentative of the country as a whole on this subject as it has done with others over time

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Was it 20.4m viewers or households? Not sure how they can assess viewers given all the street parties etc. Does that include overseas viewers?

As one of the non 20.4m who watched zero seconds of it, I feel almost unique amongst people I spoke to about it, so I'd say it would be more than 40% watching based on my tiny sample
    Sorry GP...missed that. It is a question that occurred to me too, but I assumed when they said ‘viewers’ that’s what they meant and not sets.
    Sure it referred to domestic UK viewers only.
    Don’t think ‘street parties’ come into it as none of these were held during the actual Coronation.

Anyway...back on topic...so now we know why Johnson went so abruptly. Talk about ‘damning’ reports. Apparently he now thinks the report is a ‘deranged charade’, but then as he’s now been exposed as the serial liar he is who cares what he thinks?
    Careless with the truth doesn’t begin to cover it. Hopefully he’s gone for good but shouldn’t he, in the light of this report, be stripped of both his entitlements as an ex PM and his right to ‘honour’ others?

I'd add a 5th group of people and they are those who love a good pi55 up, no matter what the reason. Quite a sizeable group too, I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Sorry GP...missed that. It is a question that occurred to me too, but I assumed when they said ‘viewers’ that’s what they meant and not sets.
    Sure it referred to domestic UK viewers only.
    Don’t think ‘street parties’ come into it as none of these were held during the actual Coronation.

Anyway...back on topic...so now we know why Johnson went so abruptly. Talk about ‘damning’ reports. Apparently he now thinks the report is a ‘deranged charade’, but then as he’s now been exposed as the serial liar he is who cares what he thinks?
    Careless with the truth doesn’t begin to cover it. Hopefully he’s gone for good but shouldn’t he, in the light of this report, be stripped of both his entitlements as an ex PM and his right to ‘honour’ others?
    Was he actually doing some self reflection when he said the words in bold ?

Just a personal view on this but, if there was a way he could be banned from ever standing for public office again, I'd back it to the hilt.

Page 51 of 91 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)