+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 20 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Careless Tories!

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Don't see why it's a poor analogy. p.
    Because it analogises an outcome of 100% death with an actual outcome of virtually nil death (and I will grant you that it wouldn’t be actually nil). So, no argument with the setup, just the outcome
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 01-02-2023 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Is it though

when there is actual documented evidence ( as distinct from anecdotal) of people dying!

I !
    A yes it is

B because your anecdote says everyone dies

Personally I can roll with the inaccuracy, but when evangelising ‘idiots’ (from either side of our perpetual arguments) offer exaggerations like this it impacts on the impressionable ‘idiots’ you constantly refer to. Note again I say from either side

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    A yes it is

B because your anecdote says everyone dies

Personally I can roll with the inaccuracy, but when evangelising ‘idiots’ (from either side of our perpetual arguments) offer exaggerations like this it impacts on the impressionable ‘idiots’ you constantly refer to. Note again I say from either side
    Its either an analogy or anecdote, please make your mind up! You are being a tad pedantic here, which is kind of par for the course, rather than addressing the main point, which is that your comment about remainers being poor losers wasn't an accurate description. Puts in mind of scenarios where at work I would be overruled on adopting a certain course of action, which I had a pretty good idea would turn out to be the wrong choice. When the inevitable happened, I would then be accused of being prejudiced because it wasn't what I wanted to do, to which my response was twofold. 1. No its because hasn't worked. 2. Even if I was prejudiced, it still hasn't worked.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    He isn’t. He’s simply pointing out the ‘negative effects of Brexit’. You yourself concede ‘Brexit will be contributary’ so are you really suggesting that people knowingly voted for something that now falls into the same category as Covid and Putin in terms of harming the UK economy?
    what happened to your mantra of letting Swale fight his own corner? Do I dare, yes I do, rat-a-tat-tat

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Lol. Post of the day!
    this is where you need a like button.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Its either an analogy or anecdote, please make your mind up! You are being a tad pedantic here, which is kind of par for the course, rather than addressing the main point, which is that your comment about remainers being poor losers wasn't an accurate description. Puts in mind of scenarios where at work I would be overruled on adopting a certain course of action, which I had a pretty good idea would turn out to be the wrong choice. When the inevitable happened, I would then be accused of being prejudiced because it wasn't what I wanted to do, to which my response was twofold. 1. No its because hasn't worked. 2. Even if I was prejudiced, it still hasn't worked.
    A ‘tad pedantic’! Understatement of the day.
    Analogies are not meant to be taken literally they are a comparison of the partial similarity between objects or scenarios. Hence one might describe Claude Davis as being as much use as a chocolate teapot...or the futility of trying to sort the current Cabinet as being like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. No one actually tried to rearrange any deckchairs as the Titanic went down and there are no such things as chocolate teapots. That is kind of the point.
    A car being driven over a cliff edge, because no one will shout ‘stop and think about it’, is IMO, a perfectly valid comparison/analogy with the stupidity and stubbornness of Brexit as our economy plummets.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    what happened to your mantra of letting Swale fight his own corner? Do I dare, yes I do, rat-a-tat-tat

Oh ffs...firstly there is no such mantra...secondly I’m sure he’s more than capable...thirdly why didn’t you say the same thing to MA when he defended Swale’s analogy earlier today...fourthly why don’t you defend the stupidity of your earlier statement when you tried to defend Brexit by inadvertently comparing it with Covid and War, instead of repeatedly reusing your infantile ‘rat-a-tat-tat’.
    If you have nothing sensible to add...you know the rest!
    Last edited by ramAnag; 01-02-2023 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    I think its a terrible analogy....you needed to add that no one in the car could give you a valid reason why you should turn right, and that even when you were plummeting to your death they were saying 'everything is fine don't worry, in 50 years there will be a bridge here to cross'
    Love it

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Whilst the scenario you paint may be more or less accurate, is it fair to blame it all on Brexit. Yes Brexit will be contributory, but so too was/is COVID and now is the energy crisis sparked by war.

So don't blame the whole sorry state of affairs in one thing, just because it suits your agenda.
    Oh my, I haven't blamed it all on Brexit and yes the war in Ukraine has had an impact, though that doesn't explain why energy prices are much higher in the Uk than the rest of the EU. Nor does it explain why UK's growth is behind most of the EU.

Furthermore, staff shortages have nothing to do with Covid/war - other than it seems a large number of over 50's have decided not to return to work and who can blame them?

In any case its not my agenda, its the reality of Brexit!! There is enough clear documented evidence as to the downsides of Brexit, there is little to support the assertion currently being made by many Tories that it is working and the UK is enjoying its many benefits!

I mean I am open to somebody somewhere showing me a benefit, just one will do.

The UK energy crisis, is down to piss poor managment/ green policies/ giving in to green industires.

Gas- We produce more than enough through the year. In fact we spend all summer exporting it to the continent.
    We have bugger all storage facllities past a few days. Goverment lack of funding(That is in large part because of a decision taken in 2017 to close Centrica’s Rough storage facility, in the North Sea, which provided 70 per cent of the UK’s gas storage capacity for more than 30 years. It was shuttered after the Government refused to subsidise costly repairs.) , plus the green lobby screaming about gas. Instead, the UK has since relied mainly on a mix of domestic gas sourced from the North Sea, pipeline imports from Europe, and liquified natural gas (LNG) shipments from the likes of Qatar.

It is a diverse set-up that means the country will almost always be able to source enough gas for its needs – but during uncertain times it will have to pay a high price.
    Brilliant. The continentals store it and in fact export the bloody stuff back to us in winter? Bonkers.

Leccy-We have scrimped on Nuclear/ abandoned coal, so the impact demands cannot be met without importing electricity.

Bugger about being an EU member. Its poor organisation, when in fact this country is now free to do what the bloody hell it wants without satisfying Brussels.

Page 20 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)