+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What’s happened to Miggy?

What’s happened to Miggy?

Before the World Cup we were seeing Grealish memes every match, but since the World Cup there’s been none.

Yeah his link up play is good, but with Tripps and Bruno around then that’s not that surprising… Murphy has looked better coming into that spot when brought on recently.

The midfield has changed, he’s got Longstaff supporting instead of Willock… could it be that?

Most worrying part is that he is looking more like the player we have seen the rest of his time here other than ‘this season before the WC’… will we see that form again?

In some ways, it shouldn't be a surprise given the way he'd played for most of his career here previously.

It must be a mental thing-confidence, self-belief, whatever and I guess the more things he tries that don't come off, the less inclined he'll be to try them.

The psycology of players is a funny thing. People inside the club will tell you that the best finisher in training by far is Joelinton yet, when it comes to an actual game, his finishing is often shocking and that has to be down to what is going on in his head, you'd think? It's the same with golfers, going through practice rounds under par then hitting bogey after bogey once the pressure hits.

I suppose that's what separates the top players from the rest-the ability to reproduce what their natural ability allows them to do when training when it matters.

I know one thing, though-the crowd need to stay with him and, if they do, I'm sure he'll find that form again. Just hope it's sooner rather than later-for his and the team's sake.

teams are just defending deeper against us. They watch our games and prepare, realise Miggy is our threat down the right and tactically prepare to stop him having an impact.

Its now time we unleash a left sided attack or through the middle to get the opposition to focus on other areas, then Miggy will get his form back.

Got to remember we are only 1 year into undoing the damage that fat **** did to us for over a decade

Oh, aye...our progress in just over a year has been incredible. Teams are doing what we used to under Bruce and Rafa...and McClaren and often Pardew-sit deep and try to catch us on the break.

We have to find a way round it...and with Howe, we have the manager to do it.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Miggy score on Tuesday. Not concerned

Quote Originally Posted by TANYA_ View Post
    teams are just defending deeper against us. They watch our games and prepare, realise Miggy is our threat down the right and tactically prepare to stop him having an impact.

Its now time we unleash a left sided attack or through the middle to get the opposition to focus on other areas, then Miggy will get his form back.

Got to remember we are only 1 year into undoing the damage that fat **** did to us for over a decade
    Miggy really burst onto the scene from the start of last October… by end end of October it was clear he was a real threat and he still scoring until the WC started.l toward the end of Nov… I just don’t think it is teams only starting to plan for Miggy after the WC.

Even when he is on the ball he is a lot more shot shy and looking to get rid of the ball rather than run with it, that’s how it’s looked to me at least.

Edit: Completely agree that we are only 1 year in, and we’re ahead of where we could realistically expected… but we have performed far better earlier in the season with the same players, in fact we have more options available now we have Isak and ASM fit and available.
    Last edited by Nufcian; 22-01-2023 at 03:37 PM.

So, in summary, everyone agrees that we’ve had an incredible turnaround and doing extremely well compared to where we were recently…. but are still complaining.
    Which one is it?

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    So, in summary, everyone agrees that we’ve had an incredible turnaround and doing extremely well compared to where we were recently…. but are still complaining.
    Which one is it?
    We’re doing poorly in comparison to how we have done recently, but a lot better than how we were doing just over a year ago.

I’ve asked this question elsewhere… but if we perform as we have against Palace and Leeds, and mostly Fulham… and we get beat over 2 legs by Soton… is that fine then?

In fairness, TT, I don't think folk are complaining.

For me, it's about discussing why, at the minute, we're not doing quite as well as we were before.

Quote Originally Posted by Nufcian View Post
    We’re doing poorly in comparison to how we have done recently, but a lot better than how we were doing just over a year ago.

I’ve asked this question elsewhere… but if we perform as we have against Palace and Leeds, and mostly Fulham… and we get beat over 2 legs by Soton… is that fine then?
    Yes, it’s fine. I say this because I fully appreciate the job done by Howe with the quality of player at his disposal. When you look at Joelinton, for example, it’s nothing short of miraculous.
    Anyone expecting an easy ride against Soton could be in for a big surprise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)