+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caolan Lavery

Caolan Lavery

His contract expired at S****horpe today.

Would anyone take him on a deal until the end of the season, he's certainly proved himself as capable at this level in a very poor s****horpe side.

Quote Originally Posted by BCnotts18 View Post
    His contract expired at S****horpe today.

Would anyone take him on a deal until the end of the season, he's certainly proved himself as capable at this level in a very poor s****horpe side.
    Not for me. We need something different, not another sub 6ft forward. IMO I’d like a Matt Rhead type. A battering ram when plan A isn’t working.

It's a no from me, he is not the Plan B replacement for Mitchell that I think might help is occassionally. If there is no Plan B then maybe as a ready made replacement for Langstaff or Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Not for me. We need something different, not another sub 6ft forward. IMO I’d like a Matt Rhead type. A battering ram when plan A isn’t working.

Absolutely this ^^^.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    It's a no from me, he is not the Plan B replacement for Mitchell that I think might help is occassionally. If there is no Plan B then maybe as a ready made replacement for Langstaff or Scott.
    I understand that, we do look one dimensional at times, especially late in games and a quality striker who can do what Mitchell is supposed to do regularly would certainly be helpful.

But, if the unfortunate does happen and either Langstaff or Scott were to leave this month, I wouldn't mind Lavery coming in as an immediate replacement to allow us to get cover until the end of the season and find a really good replacement in the summer.

We do definitely need another striker though, sooner rather than later.

No thanks he's a Mitchell no 2

Prolific…. not

It's not really the way we do things now. I think John Bostock was an exception, in terms of signing an established name dropping down the leagues, but our blueprint for recruitment success in recent times has been signing relatively unknown young (18-25) and improving players often from the leagues below, and it's worked, with the likes of Roberts, Langstaff, Scott, Austin, TAR and Bajrami.

I agree we need a better 'old-style' centre-forward option than Mitchell, to give us an extra tactical option, but I'd be quite happy for this to be someone I'd never heard of until he arrives, as long as Football Radar know who he is!

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    The days of a plan B have gone, in terms of going from on the deck to route one. For coaches/managers nowadays 'plan B' is actually making plan A better. You look at the top 3 in our league and none have a plan B. All of us have our basic principles/style of play and we stick to them no matter what. Not having a different style to go to has led us being unbeaten in 18, top of the league with 1 league loss all season. For me any player coming in needs to be similar to what we have, instead of a player better suited to Paul Cox type football.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 23-01-2023 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Fixed typos for clarity

I would definitely get Lavery in. Different/much better option off the bench than Mitchell, and on the little I’ve seen of him could fit into our style of play. I really can’t see us signing an Ollie Palmer type of player, particularly not one who was good enough and still happy to only play every now and again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast