+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Update from Michael Duff

Update from Michael Duff

From Yorkshire Post.

BARNSLEY boss Michael Duff has issued a positive update on the fitness of Slobodan Tedic and Luke Thomas, who are likely to be back in the fray for the club at some time in February - all being well.

Manchester City loanee Tedic has been out since injuring his ankle in the game at Shrewsbury Town in mid-November and has been back at his parent club for treatment.

The Serbian forward, 22, was at Barnsley's weekend game with Accrington and should start full training again early next month.

Thomas has been sidelined since breaking his leg in a freak incident in training in early October. But he is now training on his own and likely to join up with his team-mates at the end of January.

Duff, who says that Jack Walton is 50-50 for Tuesday's game at Exeter City, said: "He (Tedic) is another one who will come into the club in the early part of February. He was unfortunate as he'd just got into the team and was actually playing well.

"Hopefully he will come back knowing a little bit more about us in terms of what is required. It took him a little bit of time for the penny to drop in terms of what I wanted and what is expected of him. But he got his head down and got himself in the team with some good performances and then got injured.

"Hopefully, when he comes back, he will be a little bit more mentally ready for what is to come.

"We are looking at the end of the month with Luke. We have got a 'bounce' in-house game on Saturday that he might be allowed to take a little bit of a part in.

"He is just conditioning now and his injury is fine. And hopefully he does not break down when he does come back in."

Meanwhile, Duff says that he is not expecting any incoming transfer activity this month.

The Reds head coach said: "I am not expecting anything this week. Although you never know what happens. But I am not expecting anything."

So there you have it Tedic the other striker signing !
    Mads, Colin’s and Williams all have their contracts extended by one year as per the option in their contracts to 2024.

Williams, Collins and Anderson the spine of our defence so important to get their contracts extended.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnsley Chop View Post
    Williams, Collins and Anderson the spine of our defence so important to get their contracts extended.
    Excellent news , although the extensions were written into their contracts the fact that this has been exercised early gives us continuity going into the close season & depending on what league we are in next season gives the club time to offer further deals or decent fees if sales are required .

The Official Website's claim that Andersen, Collins and Williams are "now tied to the club until the summer of 2024" is, perhaps a little misleading in raising hopes that they will stay until then.

All three had contracts due to end in summer 2023 which meant they could have gone to other clubs for nothing at that point. The club have done the business-like thing in exercising the option the club had to extend the contracts a further year. The players had no choice in the matter as the option to extend was on the club's side.

What it does mean, of course, is that the club can seek a higher transfer fee should they go this January or in the summer as there will be longer left on their contracts.

Call me a seasoned cynic but I find it convenient timing that the clubs three most saleable assets have had their contract extensions announced this week eight days before the transfer window closes. The announcement has worried me more than pleased me but I may well be wrong of course.

Spectemur Agendo.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 23-01-2023 at 01:49 PM.

Yeah good news that those 3 have extended.
    But negative news that he’s not expecting another player in this week.
    If we don’t get a target striker in then we won’t be giving ourselves the best chance possible of getting promoted.

I’m thinking the directors don’t believe we have much of a chance of promotion this season.
    I think we definitely have !!!
    Especially if we get that target striker in.
    And especially if Luke Thomas returns and is as good as he was before he got injured.

We are a smidge away from being the best team in this league.

The shrewd Ahmad may well be using Duff as a front to put out the word to other clubs that we have finished our business when all along he is working 24 hours a day under the radar, backed by Parekh, to bring in a striker late in the window that will make the difference.

Not many will go along with the notion that a returning Tedic is the answer.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 24-01-2023 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post

Not many will go along with the notion that a returning Tedic is the answer.

Looks like we ent gorra choice mi owd. Either Tedic comes good or it probably costs us a top 6 spot. Shrewd.