+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jesse Marsch Pros and Cons

Jesse Marsch Pros and Cons

Was thinking about this last night after the game.

Positives

He kept us up last year
    He seems like a nice bloke
    The players he seems to have asked for have generally looked decent
    The players still seem to be on board

Negatives

Is he that experienced in top flight leagues - he didn’t last long at Leipzig
    His tactical acumen - the RB system is not his but someone else’s - does he understand it enough to adapt it to the PL ( the architect of it struggled at Man U last year) - can he read and prepare for opponents tactically
    His reading of the game
    His use of subs
    Spotting and promoting young talent - Gnonto he said wasn’t ready and only played him through injury - Joffy hasn’t had game time and can mention a lot of others too
    Picking certain players when they look to be struggling or out of form - playing then in the wrong place
    His press conferences have become annoying

Really likeable bloke but just seems woefully out of his depth on many fronts for me

He's problematic to say the least. You can't help but look at some of the great coaches in the prem and realize that almost all of them had very tough "freshman" years their first year in the league. Ferguson, Wenger, Arteta and Klopp are just some of them. I know the board is looking at it and hoping the same for Leeds.

However, I think he's more like a Lampard, Garrard and many others that failed. He's also too loyal to some players such as Cooper, Rodrigo and Aaronson. we have the depth to sub when someone's not on their game that match. He does not do that. Subs at 75 minutes plus are too late to help.

it's a business decision now. Plain and simple. They have more than enough talent to stay up. They need someone to get us through without some sort of divine intervention like what happened last year. I really hope they are looking for someone like a Cooper or Howe that can do it. The league seems stronger this year so It's going to be hard.

I support Jesse. He has done well with what by premier League standards is a very moderate bunch of players.
    It's clear he has drilled the players in training and is getting a fair return on the talent he has.
    I still believe the board are to blame for not bringing in quality, proven players.
    We seem to bring in endless youngsters or untried foreigners. I accept the good examples such as Gnonto.
    I know I'm in a large minority but it's just clear to me that Jesse is working hard with what he has and maybe should be higher up the table if not for bad luck and VAR and officials.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer999 View Post
    I support Jesse. He has done well with what by premier League standards is a very moderate bunch of players.
    It's clear he has drilled the players in training and is getting a fair return on the talent he has.
    I still believe the board are to blame for not bringing in quality, proven players.
    We seem to bring in endless youngsters or untried foreigners. I accept the good examples such as Gnonto.
    I know I'm in a large minority but it's just clear to me that Jesse is working hard with what he has and maybe should be higher up the table if not for bad luck and VAR and officials.
    So all the players brought in aren't his picks! Are you sure about that? All the money spend and we are no better off than the great MB yet some find excuses for him unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer999 View Post
    I think he has better players available than we sometimes think.

Meslier - one of the best in the league
    Ayling - adequate
    Koch - good and a German international - just needs decent players around him
    Cooper - adequate
    Wober - looks good and possible future captain albeit a little early to call
    Struijk - good CB if allowed to play there

LB - problem spot if Wober not to be played there

Adams - good and USA captain
    Roca - big upgrade on a clear lacking depth area

Aaronson - looks good a promising - probably needs a break but not getting one
    Sinisterra - top quality - was ranked by many as the best player last year in the Dutch league
    Gnonto - already a fan favourite (even though Jesse said he wasn’t ready)
    Harrison - decent but shouldn’t be starting given what else we have
    Ritter - looks incredibly promising
    Summerville - really developed into a quality player

Bamford - fully fit - one of the better strikers in the league (problem is injury prone)
    Rodrigo - when played properly quality and scored regularly this season - movement off the ball very good and understands space

We also have lots of good young players Drameh, Joffy, Greenwood, Gyabi, Perkins, Matteo Joseph, Cresswell, Hjelde

Jesse’s tactics are often crap and his reading of the game and what to change just as bad.

Okay we didn’t lose yesterday but we should have been looking to win. He keeps talking about progress but we have sunk from early season top half to the relegation battle.

Time and again we make the same mistakes and he doesn’t seem to have the answers or be able to spot the problem in the first place.

When you hear the talks he does about creating chaos it’s no wonder we are so unpredictable and poor as it’s all about creating random chances which doesn’t seem to lend itself to proper planning and tactics.

He seems to like adjectives beginning with C and the ones that come to mind are chaos, confused, calamity and at times crap.

He has had nearly a year now we have signed 12 players and it isn’t clearly any better objectively as opposed to not being quite so crap.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    I think he has better players available than we sometimes think.

Meslier - one of the best in the league
    Ayling - adequate
    Koch - good and a German international - just needs decent players around him
    Cooper - adequate
    Wober - looks good and possible future captain albeit a little early to call
    Struijk - good CB if allowed to play there

LB - problem spot if Wober not to be played there

Adams - good and USA captain
    Roca - big upgrade on a clear lacking depth area

Aaronson - looks good a promising - probably needs a break but not getting one
    Sinisterra - top quality - was ranked by many as the best player last year in the Dutch league
    Gnonto - already a fan favourite (even though Jesse said he wasn’t ready)
    Harrison - decent but shouldn’t be starting given what else we have
    Ritter - looks incredibly promising
    Summerville - really developed into a quality player

Bamford - fully fit - one of the better strikers in the league (problem is injury prone)
    Rodrigo - when played properly quality and scored regularly this season - movement off the ball very good and understands space

We also have lots of good young players Drameh, Joffy, Greenwood, Gyabi, Perkins, Matteo Joseph, Cresswell, Hjelde

Jesse’s tactics are often crap and his reading of the game and what to change just as bad.

Okay we didn’t lose yesterday but we should have been looking to win. He keeps talking about progress but we have sunk from early season top half to the relegation battle.

Time and again we make the same mistakes and he doesn’t seem to have the answers or be able to spot the problem in the first place.

When you hear the talks he does about creating chaos it’s no wonder we are so unpredictable and poor as it’s all about creating random chances which doesn’t seem to lend itself to proper planning and tactics.

He seems to like adjectives beginning with C and the ones that come to mind are chaos, confused, calamity and at times crap.

He has had nearly a year now we have signed 12 players and it isn’t clearly any better objectively as opposed to not being quite so crap.
    With you on most of what you have posted there, just a couple of points worth bearing in mind (and which highlight some the concerns in pretty stark terms)

Of the youngsters you mention, Gelhardt, Cresswell and Hjelde are either on loan or loan with a view to sell. You've made another absolutely spot on observation in another post that Marsch has used the youngsters out of necessity, not planning, when his "favoured" players pick up an injury. I suspect his willingness to play the young "home grown(ish)" players will continue to be limited.

Ignoring those players who were on the books when Marsch was appointed, the club has spent £125m on the players who have arrived since the summer transfer window opened (that's a conservative estimate given that the transfer fees for some e.g Wober & Gnonto weren't published). There is no way that anyone, pro or anti Marsch, can honestly describe the 1st team squad that hasn't won a league game in the last six as delivering value for money, so just what do the Board expect Marsch to do with what has been acquired during a spending spree like no other at Leeds?

I just read he praised Aaronson as his finest game that he has seen from him. FMD This Cant got really no idea.

WTF. £125,000,000 spent on players. Which if those are proven players ? It's an ongoing gamble trying a ' business plan' by people who don't completely understand football
    We have sold players to provide that spend.
    Why can't we just buy quality proven players? I'll answer my own question...they cost too much...but do they ?
    Trossard wasn't particularly expensive.
    We are taking unnecessary risks with a business ideology that has too many misses than hits. I'd like to see Pep or Klopp etc manage our current squad any better.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Was thinking about this last night after the game.

Positives

He kept us up last year
    He seems like a nice bloke
    The players he seems to have asked for have generally looked decent
    The players still seem to be on board

Negatives

Is he that experienced in top flight leagues - he didn’t last long at Leipzig
    His tactical acumen - the RB system is not his but someone else’s - does he understand it enough to adapt it to the PL ( the architect of it struggled at Man U last year) - can he read and prepare for opponents tactically
    His reading of the game
    His use of subs
    Spotting and promoting young talent - Gnonto he said wasn’t ready and only played him through injury - Joffy hasn’t had game time and can mention a lot of others too
    Picking certain players when they look to be struggling or out of form - playing then in the wrong place
    His press conferences have become annoying

Really likeable bloke but just seems woefully out of his depth on many fronts for me
    The miracle at molineux and the implosion at bumley kept us up.

Meslier - one of the best in the league Because of age would be second fiddle at a big club.
    Ayling - adequate Finished 2 old one of a few great servants.
    Koch - good and a German international - just needs decent players around him Overrated lightweight too many mistakes.
    Cooper - adequate Total garbage. Him been garbage shows how great our squad really is.
    Wober - looks good and possible future captain albeit a little early to call Looks well above the other garbage to be brought in keeper for me.
    Struijk - good CB if allowed to play there Too overrated very slow. Defensive player need to have speed perhaps back to midfield might be more suited.

LB - problem spot if Wober not to be played there Surprised your mate doesn't get a mention Hopy Remember the great Firpo?No problem once our great captain is back Wober will be great.

Adams - good and USA captain Good find
    Roca - big upgrade on a clear lacking depth area Hummm Garbage bag for me

Aaronson - looks good a promising - probably needs a break but not getting one As Above
    Sinisterra - top quality - was ranked by many as the best player last year in the Dutch league Looks promising time will tell.
    Gnonto - already a fan favourite (even though Jesse said he wasn’t ready) Brilliant one out of the box.
    Harrison - decent but shouldn’t be starting given what else we have Humm good trier but terrible at it.
    Ritter - looks incredibly promising Jury is out un known.
    Summerville - really developed into a quality player. Great young player should had been established long ago. Only down side is his frame and punishment he will get.

Bamford - fully fit - one of the better strikers in the league (problem is injury prone) Has always been my fav but i gave up like the rest due to his problems. But the last couple games he looks like he may be back. And boy do we need him.
    Rodrigo - when played properly quality and scored regularly this season - movement off the ball very good and understands space Best season so far for amount we paid but still not one of my likes. Fit Bamford and firing He should be looking on from the bench.

We also have lots of good young players Drameh, Joffy, Greenwood, Gyabi, Perkins, Matteo Joseph, Cresswell, Hjelde All this guys will be gone some already on the way Cresswell gone Drameh JG Hjedje to move on. Greenwood i feel will be let go also. Gyabi Perkins Joseph will hardly get a look in now so by next season i feel will go like the others. So much for assembling a great team.
    Some will read this and say doomsayer don't know what his on.
    I just like to point at the standings.
    Last edited by ozleeds; 23-01-2023 at 06:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)