+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Cal Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    I wasn’t sad to see Roberts leave. There wasn’t really a place in the team for him with the system we play. As others have said, he didn’t work hard enough (or know how to tackle) to be a wing back or a centre mid (can’t believe we played him there). His positional sense for both of those positions was really poor actually and left us open no end of times.

He could’ve played as a CAM, but not very well and certainly not as well as Ruben has done. The only position I thought suited him would be on the right of a front three in a 4-3-3, or maybe as a number ten to play alongside Wootton but we went away from a back four fairly long ago.

The guy was a luxury player who had some stand out games, especially early on, but I felt his attitude and injury record were poor. We did well to move him on when we did I think.
    Roberts was no good in this formation mostly because his discipline was none existent
    Last edited by SwalePie; 25-01-2023 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Fixed typo for clarity

This guy knows his stuff.

Echo what TSHANO stated regarding suitable positions/systems that Roberts can play in and shine. That is indeed some time ago that we've played a formation that suits his game and talents.

I often find myself in total agreement with his (and a few others) views on all things Notts

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    This guy knows his stuff.

Echo what TSHANO stated regarding suitable positions/systems that Roberts can play in and shine. That is indeed some time ago that we've played a formation that suits his game and talents.

I often find myself in total agreement with his (and a few others) views on all things Notts
    I think we all have our favourite posters on the board me laddo. It's not exclusive to you! There are some posters who I agree with everything they say about Notts but their political stuff is certainly interesting. Looking forward to getting to a few games in March and April anyway. COYP>

Where the hell did you get the idea that I thought it was exclusive to me??!?!? I've read it back a couple of times but still can't see how you came to that conclusion QLD

I'm not interested in discussing politics on here, but who are your favourites on here when it comes to all things Notts?

The irony is that Roberts would be more suited in LW setup where wingbacks are 80% attack 20% defend
    Roberts and Nemane swapping positions on each flank would terrorize defences at this level IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbowpie View Post
    The irony is that Roberts would be more suited in LW setup where wingbacks are 80% attack 20% defend
    Roberts and Nemane swapping positions on each flank would terrorize defences at this level IMO
    Exactly. People focus too much on the defensive element, just like with Nemane.
    The thing with Cal is he could have played the Scott role of basically being a free spirit. He could also have played in a central midfield 3 with Palmer anchoring and Ruben buzzing about. Our system doesn’t require us to have typical ball winning players, but players that are good in the ball. Cal was good on the ball.

Where the hell did you get the idea that I thought it was exclusive to me??!?!? I've read it back a couple of times but still can't see how you came to that conclusion QLD

I'm not interested in discussing politics on here, but who are your favourites on here when it comes to all things Notts?
    The tone in which you write gave me that conclusion. It comes across as very singular. Maybe its just me. I don't think its appropriate for any poster to divulge that information but there is some quality content on the board and has been for a long long time.

Hmmmmm interesting. I can assure you it wasn't meant in that was in the slightest. That would be an absurd claim, so the strong conclusion you came to I'm happy to report is incorrect.

I suggest always be careful when deciphering 'tone' when it's just words on a page on in this case message board. Interpretation can vary hugely and accuracy is fraught with danger.

Personally I don't see it as inappropriate in any way, shape or form. It was just a simple statement, I could have said the same about another 4 or 5 regulars who I often (but not always) share very similar opinions and enjoy reading their posts on all things Notts.

Agree lots of rip quality wheat among the chaff on here.

I also think we got the best out of him as a player and the best out of him when we sold him on. i hope he does well where ever he goes but I honestly think is skills as a player are over shadowed by those areas he lacks skills. When playing on his stonger foot he was hard to play against, get him on the weaker foot and he was easily beaten.

Hmmmmm interesting. I can assure you it wasn't meant in that was in the slightest. That would be an absurd claim, so the strong conclusion you came to I'm happy to report is incorrect.

I suggest always be careful when deciphering 'tone' when it's just words on a page on in this case message board. Interpretation can vary hugely and accuracy is fraught with danger.

Personally I don't see it as inappropriate in any way, shape or form. It was just a simple statement, I could have said the same about another 4 or 5 regulars who I often (but not always) share very similar opinions and enjoy reading their posts on all things Notts.

Agree lots of rip quality wheat among the chaff on here.
    No problem me laddo thanks for the non condescending reply

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast