+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Match ratings and reflections V Halifax

Match ratings and reflections V Halifax

Having had our last two games postponed, and the previous couple of instalments not exactly filling us all with a sense of optimism, I was concerned and interested to see how the team would respond when they finally took to the pitch again. Thankfully the boys came out with that sense of urgency and aggression that we have become accustomed to this season.

Halifax, without ever really posing a meaningful attacking threat, were still very well organised and their press from midfield was aggressive and energetic. Had our passing and mentality been of the standard of the previous few outings then yesterday could well have seen us throw away more points.

Although the scoreline suggests it was a tight game, it was anything but. We thoroughly deserved at least two more goals. The marginal offside (I wasn’t in a great position to see it), what looked like a stonewall penalty not given, a ball bouncing off Austin safely into the goalkeepers arms, Ruben not passing to Scott when in a great position, and countless dangerous balls going into the box, it is a wonder as to how we only scored the one goal…but thankfully we did.

It did strike me that Halifax, although one goal down, continued to time waste and looked intent on accepting a 1-0 defeat. What a strange and disgraceful way to treat their following fans, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it and if it were roles reversed id be letting my feelings known towards the team/management.

One negative for me from yesterday was the volume, or lack of it, from our fans. There were over 7k of us there yesterday but at times it felt like a reserve game and you could hear the players shouting to each other. It’s very odd considering how well we’re doing, I don’t understand it and I imagine the players and staff don’t either. The tannoy in the DP even tried playing some chants before the game to get us going, but for whatever reason we’re just not very boisterous!

Then finally, the officials, what a bizarre performance from all three of them. So inconsistent, so blatantly wrong on so many decisions, the NL really must be scraping the barrel now to find people to officiate these games. I know, without them we wouldn’t have a game to play in the first place, but how have they got so bad?

Slocombe - Not a single save to make but what he did do was confident and assured. He isn’t the greatest GK we’ve had but I really like him and he’s been on this NL journey with us from the start - 7

Rawlo - Really good showing. Was up against a bit of a mountain in their attack but he was physical and I don’t think he lost a battle all game. Good positioning and he even showed up in more advanced positions to offer crosses and interchanges down that side. Better than Brindley has been lately. I love Rawlo! - 7

Baldwin - Played like he has for the majority of the season. Calm and able to twist and turn out of trouble on the rare occasion Halifax decided to offer the slightest threat. Didn’t drive forward with the ball as much, but he didn’t have to. Much bigger threats to come - 7

Cameron - Did what he always does best. Didn’t have much to do defensively but what he did have was dealt with so comfortably. Showed up as LWB once or twice and delivered a delicious cross in the first half which Scott must have been wishing he was on the pitch to convert - 7.5

Nemane - Maybe not a popular opinion but I thought that was one of his best all round performances for us. A constant threat. Receiving the ball in tight places, playing in behind, pace, composure….but most of all, a defensive ability that he hasn’t shown very well so far. He dealt with some difficult (though rare) situations wonderfully. Should have had a penalty too from where I was sitting. Late on he was left exposed by Jones, who got positiionally caught out, but Nemane covered and helped rescue what was a dangerous situation. I’d have given him MOTM - 8

Chicksen - A performance much more reflective of his season so far and perhaps this few weeks has given him time to just recover, mentally and physically. He’ll never be a one to constantly beat his man but his link up play with Austin and Cameron was clever and effective. It was evident that LW wanted to use both sides of the pitch more effectively and Chicksen saw much more of the ball than he has recently. I loved it late on when he tracked back, got in a bit of a tussle and then waved his arms int he air to the kop to try and stir us up a bit - 7.5

Palmer - What is he doing playing in this league? Why doesn’t he have a song sung, serenading his brilliance before the start of every game? He just glides around the pitch, tick-tocking the game along. Never flustered in possession, always has the right touch or finds the right pass with either his head, right foot or left foot. We’re so lucky to have him. Heaven forbid him leaving or getting injured. The best signing FR have made. Could be MOTM every game - 8

O’Brien - Great to see him back….and maybe no coincidence that the tempo and general slickness of our passing was back to ‘normal’ with him back in the team? Possession wise he didn’t have a vast amount of touches but it’s that work off the ball that does the damage. Forward runs, pulling players out of position for Ruben to move into, it is natural to him and offers something we don’t have an abundance of. He also loves a tackle which the fans appreciate! Blowing out of his @rse by time he was subbed. Welcome back Jimbo! - 7.5

Ruben - Opposition always understandably target Ruben now but I think he played really well yesterday. He got caught in possession a few times but he never hides and always wants the ball again. His touch and vision is exquisite at times. He was moved the left hand side when Jones came on and he caused havoc at that time…he was too greedy when Scott was in a great position to score but overall a good showing from the Portuguese - 7.5

Austin - I’ll admit to not being a massive admirer of Austin so far since he arrived, but yesterday was his best performance of the season and could well have been awarded MOTM. He played a bit like JOB actually, making forward runs and attacking the space down that side which also brought Chicksen into the game a lot more. He delivered one or two great balls into the box which we didn’t convert. Unlucky(?) not to have scored when the ball bounced off him in the second half into the GK’s arms - 8.0

Langstaff - Don’t think he deserved MOTM but he still had a decent game. His pressing from the front was excellent and he was more involved in the all round game than what he normally is, but apart from his goals we rarely get to see what he is capable of, which is crazy really! Unlucky with the offside goal I think but his poachers instincts to get on that loose back pass and finish it off (I thought he was taking too long) was great to see - 7.5

Subs

Scott - The unluckiest player at Notts? Has played so well every game and scored some important goals but it is still a struggle to get him game time with Langstaffs form. I do wonder if he is actually better than Langstaff though. He can drop deep, hold the play up better and still arrive in the box offering a better ariel threat. He played well when he came on and should have been played in by Ruben to score - 7 (I love Macca by the way!)

Jones - Thought it was a brave decision by LW to bring Jones on considering JOB had already gone off. We didn’t need to score another goal and I wonder if LW just wanted to give the lad some minutes after going through some tough times lately? Either way, he looked class. The two or three balls he clipped into the box and the way he showed his desire to go forward, whilst not being reckless with it, suggests we have a very good player on our hands. Only negative was he got caught out of position late on in a Cal Roberts kind of way which left Nemane exposed in a dangerous situation. Having read the article on Jones yesterday and what he has been through I am desperate for him to do well, it’s funny how some players just endear themselves to you - 6.5

Spot on assessment
    Austin brings the best out of Chicksen in my opinion
    He's more of a threat on the ball than Scott so defenders are more occupied leaving chicksen open with more options
    I thought Ruben wasn't great yesterday, i know he is heavily marked but he made 3 selfishly bad decisions when he should have passed instead of being greedy
    He looks lethargic to me
    Palmer is an absolute gem of a player and should be playing leagues above
    Thought JOB and Cameron played well and Rawlinson had an excellent game. Didn't slow down play like Brindley has been doing

I think there was one occasion when the Pavis joined in with the Kop and the noise was fantastic. It would be great if this were to happen far more often as I am sure it would lift the players.
    Austin and Chicksen do work well as a combination and allow us to have threats on both wings. This is good on two counts, first it means we have to be watched on both flanks and second it gives Nemane a breather, i.e. less workload/pressure.

Great assessment and agree with the ratings.
    I’ve always considered Notts to be a quiet set of fans comparatively.

Bang on, the fact Scott isn’t a shoe in shows we have quality in depth. I really like Austin, he’s industrious, carries the ball well, picks up good spaces and when you think we’ve now signed Jones, we have a lot creative quality. If we signed a decent LWB and striker I would say it’s the complete squad.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    One negative for me from yesterday was the volume, or lack of it, from our fans. There were over 7k of us there yesterday but at times it felt like a reserve game and you could hear the players shouting to each other. It’s very odd considering how well we’re doing, I don’t understand it and I imagine the players and staff don’t either.
    I think that's been partly explained on here before, to me at least. One reason for the lack of noise is our style of play, and although it's successful and shouldn't be changed, it's not exactly edge of the seat stuff. Keeping the ball is good because the opposition can't score, but sideways and backwards passes don't really get the crowd going. A few years back people were raving about Barcelona's tiki-taka style, but it bored me senseless. In fact, it was probably what turned me from being a football fan into just a Notts fan.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Great assessment and agree with the ratings.
    I’ve always considered Notts to be a quiet set of fans comparatively.
    Historically I agree, predominantly away from home has always been disappointing. The move to the Kop certainly improved the atmosphere at Meadow Lane, and when a decent crowd can be decent.

This season appears to be the opposite, I strongly suspect that's down to our very impressive away form and performances and the fact so many sides are cautious and conservative when they visit Meadow Lane by parking the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I think that's been partly explained on here before, to me at least. One reason for the lack of noise is our style of play, and although it's successful and shouldn't be changed, it's not exactly edge of the seat stuff. Keeping the ball is good because the opposition can't score, but sideways and backwards passes don't really get the crowd going. A few years back people were raving about Barcelona's tiki-taka style, but it bored me senseless. In fact, it was probably what turned me from being a football fan into just a Notts fan.
    I don't agree with that. Halifax, amongst others, barely get a kick against us - never mind playing tippy tap football - yet still easily out sing 2-3k in the kop.

Lost my stream for 10mins so won't do ratings!

What impressed me most from what I saw...

Baldwin, wow! I'm really starting to appreciate his performances. Now we know why LW dabbled in the recruitment game to get him - a player like that is key to what he's trying to do. It's nuts that we have to sink to L5 to see a 'Libero' style player like him at the Lane. Obviously, he needs to stay healthy and also to eliminate the occasional mistakes...if he does, he'd turn into the most scouted player from teams higher up

I thought Rodrigues was the pick of the midfield (always putting a premium on the most difficult thing to do in football - be creative). JOB is in the best sustained form of his time at Notts?

My concern is that the overall performance is still on that downward curve we've seen over the last month. I connect this to the increasing commitment to the midfield box. Unlike a few others, I wasn't sold on Austin's game yesterday. We need that extra attacking threat that Scott provides IMO. The formation we use now sends the possession stats thru the roof, but we seem to be one short of the attacking options that Ruben, Matty and Baldwin need to make the most of their fantastic passing skills.

Anyone else have to look up the word "libero"?? I had absolutely no idea and my guess was way off.

Any explanation for the lost stream AC? And which 10 mins?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast