+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Isak / ASM break into first team starting line up soon?

Will Isak / ASM break into first team starting line up soon?

We were obviously better going forward with the introduction of both players last night.

As a team we have struggled to score, obviously Howe is well aware of that… and the current line up might be more defensively solid, but even a win and a loss is better than 2 draws… so…

1. Do you think Howe is looking to start starting one or both players?
    2. Who makes way to bring them in?

For me, I’d like to see both players starting games. If they are still building fitness then I can understand them not starting while other teams are fresh, but given they have both been on the bench for a long time now you have to assume they are in full training and it is only matched that will give them match fitness… getting 20 minutes isn’t going to cut it.

I’d take out Wilson and Longstaff… move Big Joe back to left side of midfield, Willock over to the right, and slot Maxi and Isak up front.

As it stands it could be either Willock or Longstaff dropped, neither are exactly the finished article yet… and my preference would be to bring in Maddison to play that right side of the 3 and have Jo / Bruno / Maddison in the middle with Maxi / Isak / Miggy up front.

Isak has to come in Wilson has really struggled since the world cup and The Saint in for Longstaff and put Joelinton back into Midfield.

They have both had long term injuries and recovery time has been gentle.

I think EH is easing them in and is just being careful not to aggrevate old injuries.

Although squad depth is tight, fortunately in their two positions at the moment we have choices.

Quote Originally Posted by MidsMagpie View Post
    Isak has to come in Wilson has really struggled since the world cup and The Saint in for Longstaff and put Joelinton back into Midfield.
    Isak absolutely gets the starts for me going forward but I frankly love our world class defensive record atm and I don’t think The Saint provides enough going forward to make up for what he could diminish negatively going backward in coverage.

Cardinal rule of experimentation—change one variable at a time. Wilson isn’t in the right positions presently and we are delivering a huge amount of service into the box. Isak up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by marathoningmagpie View Post
    Isak absolutely gets the starts for me going forward but I frankly love our world class defensive record atm and I don’t think The Saint provides enough going forward to make up for what he could diminish negatively going backward in coverage.

Cardinal rule of experimentation—change one variable at a time. Wilson isn’t in the right positions presently and we are delivering a huge amount of service into the box. Isak up for me.
    I get what you are saying defensively, but I think that Big Jo moved back does provide better cover… since the change to move him into a forward role it looks like Dan Burn is getting targeted more.

Also… it looks like Maxi is working harder defensively in what we have seen from him recently.. maybe the penny has dropped, and if nothing else maybe it is just he recognises the work others are doing and how it has paid off and knows that he withers does it or he gets dropped.

I would replace Wilson with Isak and Willock for ASM with Joe dropping back into midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Nufcian View Post
    I get what you are saying defensively, but I think that Big Jo moved back does provide better cover… since the change to move him into a forward role it looks like Dan Burn is getting targeted more.

Also… it looks like Maxi is working harder defensively in what we have seen from him recently.. maybe the penny has dropped, and if nothing else maybe it is just he recognises the work others are doing and how it has paid off and knows that he withers does it or he gets dropped.
    Maybe. But given Jo’s remarkable turnaround, I wouldn’t tinker there yet either. Wilson I’d the weakest link and gets the swap. If we are still struggling to get two goals a game, only then would I tinker with the midfield.

As for Max, he works harder than he needs to for me. His flair takes him out of position, as it does with that style. But his end product—goals and tempting crosses, is not a certainty.

Heady damn times though—we are debating how to get the 3rd place team, more goals, as go into February. And maybe the cherry on top—whatever Eddie chooses to do—I believe it is the right course.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    I would replace Wilson with Isak and Willock for ASM with Joe dropping back into midfield.
    Agree with this. And bring Willock in for ASM when he dont track back anymore.

Isak in now for (off form) Wilson - that’s why we have a squad!
    A left side of Burn, Joe and ASM would work but if Joe wasn’t there you’d worry, defensively.
    Interesting to read on this thread that most want ASM and Isak in but noone has suggested dropping Longstaff!
    For me that goes to show that Longstaff’s position is the one that needs strengthening in the window.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Isak in now for (off form) Wilson - that’s why we have a squad!
    A left side of Burn, Joe and ASM would work but if Joe wasn’t there you’d worry, defensively.
    Interesting to read on this thread that most want ASM and Isak in but noone has suggested dropping Longstaff!
    For me that goes to show that Longstaff’s position is the one that needs strengthening in the window.
    Fair point. You could say ASM to replace Willock OR Longstaff and put Joelinton back into midfield.

However, for me Willock is better in attack and Longstaff is better defensively. With ASM in the team you can compensate for lost defending quality with keeping Longstaff ahead of Willock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)