+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FGR have had enough

Obviously the fact he'd clearly decided to leave before our play-off game against Grimsby irks me like it does many others. But personally I think he was a decent coach (although lacked a plan B ).

I was always hoping he'd mature and get that 10-20% more out of the players to take us to the top of the league, but Luke Williams just came in and did it straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Obviously the fact he'd clearly decided to leave before our play-off game against Grimsby irks me like it does many others. But personally I think he was a decent coach (although lacked a plan B ).

I was always hoping he'd mature and get that 10-20% more out of the players to take us to the top of the league, but Luke Williams just came in and did it straight away.
    He only did what many of our supporters would have done in that he had an opportunity to move up and went for it.

Disappointed for him to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    This^^^

But at least we saw a bit of compo out of the deal.

I knew this news back at the end of August

Notts got compensation from FGR £££
    Burchnall gets compensation from FGR £££
    The only one who really loses out here is Mr Vince and FGR.

[QUOTE=magpie_mania;40201147]He only did what many of our supporters would have done in that he had an opportunity to move up and went for it.

Whilst this is true in many ways, most people on here have not signed a fixed term contract so it is not exactly comparing like for like.

I think IB did a decent job for us and played football in the style the Brothers want for the club .LW's style is a tweek on this but make no mistake neither have/had a plan B(different style lump it forward etc).
    The modern coach as he is taught during his badges is to continue in the same vein and eventually you will wear the opposition out either physically or mentally aka Manchester City(their plan B is to bring like for like players on)
    I certainly don't begrudge IB going for ambition and financial gain(wouldn't we do the same) yes the timing could have been better but he didn't choose the timing.(Once upon a time I signed a 2 year contract and left after 3 months for another job because I thought at the time it was best for me and the family)
    With hindsight we now have a coach who has improved us and we are financially better off so its win win for both parties.
    Good luck to him in his next position
    Last edited by Proactive not Reactive; 25-01-2023 at 02:58 PM.

[QUOTE=bule1;40201184]
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    He only did what many of our supporters would have done in that he had an opportunity to move up and went for it.

Whilst this is true in many ways, most people on here have not signed a fixed term contract so it is not exactly comparing like for like.
    True but in the footballing world it is what managers do. Just as owners, far more often than not and far more than managers leaving, screw up the fixed term contract that they offered and signed the manager to and throw it in the bin. Both scenarios involve compensation rightly being paid.

Surprised he lasted so long to be honest. He obviously thought he was better than Notts and the National League so no sympathy from me. He needs to forget about the head coach side of the game and just become a coach...or P.E teacher again. Dale did us a favour in the end, cheers
    Last edited by OP67; 25-01-2023 at 03:30 PM.

"I like to give people the chance especially when it doesn't look like they've got the tools to do the job. That's certainly how it looked for Ian," chairman Dale Vince told BBC Radio Gloucestershire.

Contrary to most on here I would have been pleased for him if he had done a decent job at FGR. I'm not buying into the whole "we lost the play-off game to Grimesby because he knew he was leaving" rhetoric. he did a decent job for us and was literally just 1 stupid foul away from us having two more play-off games against clubs we had already had some success against during the regular season.

If we had won the play-offs and he still left then people would still be calling him. I'm disappointed it didn't work out for him, a thoroughly decent guy and I hope it's not too long before he's back coaching again.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast