+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: FGR have had enough

No mention of whether Doyle has also gone being his "assistant" Maybe they forgot they'd employed him

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I'm sure multiple sackings and a relegation are common with many a new managerial appointment. It's the way football and trigger happy chairmen are.

FGR in L1 was always going to be a stretch for IB, in fact it looked tough for anyone to keep them up. That is quite the leap for the club. I doubt that one (unsurprising) failure will keep him out of a job, however much you hope and pray Durham
    He is a lovely man and i hope some day soon he gets the job as Rushcliffe's head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    He is a lovely man and i hope some day soon he gets the job as Rushcliffe's head coach.

Leisure centre or the Red Dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Leisure centre or the Red Dogs?
    Red dogs.

I can't say I delight in IB's demise at FGR. The manner of his departure was a bit ham-fisted, but FGR paid the compensation money and we got another manager who has taken us further. IB did a decent job for us and was probably correct in saying he had left the next manager some good foundations on which to build.

The surprising thing for me was that IB took that particular job and didn't wait for something better. It was fairly obvious FGR's promotion from League Two took them as high as they can go, so it's difficult to understand why IB was so keen to condemn himself to a virtually certain relegation battle, where patience with any manager tends to run out eventually. It was a worse move for him than for us.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Contrary to most on here I would have been pleased for him if he had done a decent job at FGR. I'm not buying into the whole "we lost the play-off game to Grimesby because he knew he was leaving" rhetoric. he did a decent job for us and was literally just 1 stupid foul away from us having two more play-off games against clubs we had already had some success against during the regular season.

If we had won the play-offs and he still left then people would still be calling him. I'm disappointed it didn't work out for him, a thoroughly decent guy and I hope it's not too long before he's back coaching again.
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The surprising thing for me was that IB took that particular job and didn't wait for something better.
    This is what sticks in my throat about his departure more than anything else. Notts plucked the guy from total obscurity and gave him a platform to build up his career, backing him up with a four-year contract and supplying him with a group of players that on paper were capable of getting promotion from this league.

He repaid the club's faith in him by jumping ship at the very first opportunity he got to move up a couple of divisions - not to Sheffield Wednesday, or Portsmouth, or Derby, or Ipswich (jobs I would not have complained about him taking) but to effin Forest effin Green effin Rovers, a tinpot club that would have had no chance of ever getting into the EFL it was not some multi-millionaire's vanity project. This to me demonstrates how little he cared about his job at Notts, he was just waiting all along for the chance - any chance - to move on.

And to rub salt in the wounds of course this was all negotiated and arranged right as we were going into the critical play-off series. It probably didn't cause our defeat to Grimsby, but it certainly didn't do much to help matters either.

I'm surprised some fans don't seem to have been left with the same bitter taste over this, but then everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally I wasn't wishing for him to get the sack at FGR but now the inevitable has happened I'm totally consolable about it.

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    This is what sticks in my throat about his departure more than anything else. Notts plucked the guy from total obscurity and gave him a platform to build up his career, backing him up with a four-year contract and supplying him with a group of players that on paper were capable of getting promotion from this league.

He repaid the club's faith in him by jumping ship at the very first opportunity he got to move up a couple of divisions - not to Sheffield Wednesday, or Portsmouth, or Derby, or Ipswich (jobs I would not have complained about him taking) but to effin Forest effin Green effin Rovers, a tinpot club that would have had no chance of ever getting into the EFL it was not some multi-millionaire's vanity project. This to me demonstrates how little he cared about his job at Notts, he was just waiting all along for the chance - any chance - to move on.

And to rub salt in the wounds of course this was all negotiated and arranged right as we were going into the critical play-off series. It probably didn't cause our defeat to Grimsby, but it certainly didn't do much to help matters either.

I'm surprised some fans don't seem to have been left with the same bitter taste over this, but then everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally I wasn't wishing for him to get the sack at FGR but now the inevitable has happened I'm totally consolable about it.
    Serves the Tw@t right, well out of his depth.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Contrary to most on here I would have been pleased for him if he had done a decent job at FGR. I'm not buying into the whole "we lost the play-off game to Grimesby because he knew he was leaving" rhetoric. he did a decent job for us and was literally just 1 stupid foul away from us having two more play-off games against clubs we had already had some success against during the regular season.

If we had won the play-offs and he still left then people would still be calling him. I'm disappointed it didn't work out for him, a thoroughly decent guy and I hope it's not too long before he's back coaching again.
    i echo this , he got us playing some exciting football after inheriting the Ardley ball ineffective style. He wasn't the finished item and i think he left too soon. He went too high too soon and probably needed another season with us to perfect his style and learn from his errors (for his own good). I'm surprised he didn't take Woots with him as from what i have read on their board they didn't seem to have a centre forward that could cope with his style of play, and a holding centre forward is pivotal to how his style works.
    i don't think he will have trouble finding a club even if it is back in the NL , possibly Solihull after they yank Ardley !!?
    Last edited by SwalePie; 26-01-2023 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Fixed typos for clarity

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast