+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In credit with your energy bills.

Quote Originally Posted by BARBaggies82 View Post
    Never understood the opposition to Smart Meters.
    They record what you use and you get charged for it! Whether or not they might over estimate what you use is irrelevant as it will just go towards a credit on your bill....which you may or may not wish to reclaim?

We are about a £1k in credit for the dual fuel bill but I'm quite happy for it to sit with them should anything untoward happen in my life.

I genuinely don't think the energy companies are "out to get you" by asking you to have a smart meter. It just saves them having to send someone round to check your meter every few months, and you from having to poke around in whatever god awful spider pit you have your meter to read it.

Don’t like the big brother approach that energy companies can see all your data at source and they could turn you off. Didn’t have my meters read for over 5 years! Last meter reader turned up and refused to take his shoes off ( health and safety ) and the useless t wat did not have shoe covers! Got offended when I told him to do one - nobody coming in my house with shoes on! Needless to say - not much usage in five years without meters being read 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by SCOOP115 View Post
    I'm also in credit (Gas & Leccy) My supplier wanted me to increse my DD quite a bit but I resisted and picked my own amount - Just about evening itself out now. I do have a smart meter, but I find I get quite neurotic about watching what I'm using.

I opted to join this energy saving buisness at peak time - so far I've been awarded £0.68p !!
    Hi my Brother in law drives his wife mad by keep looking at the smart meter.
    Di you know that in the hour when they pay you to save energy.
    They have exporting the excess to N and S Ireland during this hour, should imagine at a profit.

We haven’t had the meter read in over seven years! Living in the sticks means we have no signal so smart meters wouldn’t work anyway. Doesn’t stop the energy company from pestering me with e-mails to have one! Like all utility companies they’re charlatans. Wouldn’t trust them at any price!

Quote Originally Posted by Pugmitch View Post
    We haven’t had the meter read in over seven years! Living in the sticks means we have no signal so smart meters wouldn’t work anyway. Doesn’t stop the energy company from pestering me with e-mails to have one! Like all utility companies they’re charlatans. Wouldn’t trust them at any price!

Let the meter go around the clock as starts again at zero and they would never know!

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Hi, I used to work BT.
    Our house is fed UG for BT, although we are with Virgin media which has up to now a faster broadband.
    BT are now rolling out fibre straight to the house, but are doing it the cheap way of erecting telegraph poles.
    Company has gone downhill since I left.
    Yes, from what I've heard, some people have had the offer of being serviced via telegraph poles but apparently it's not always an option. A work colleague told me that the BT engineer he spoke to reckoned about 70% of customers he had dealt with were unwilling for them to proceed at the moment because of the disruption involved.

Smart meters are part of the wider big brother society. Why would anyone think smart meters are foisted on you because its more convenient to you? The energy companies will easily switch you off at the click of a mouse when energy consumption is high.

Banks are closing at a pace because the vast majority are now using cards to pay for goods instead of cash. Would a cashless society be for your convenience? The Government will dress it up as such but I fear a total loss of personal freedom will be gone when a digitised currency finally arrives. And smart meters and apps and self serving tills at supermarkets are all setting us up for this to take place.

Unless I have been living under a stone for the last couple of years, my understanding is that a smart meter is exactly the same as the previous meters but with the ability of the energy company to read the meter remotely. A lot of people have the misconception that the display unit is actually the smart meter which it isn't. The display unit only gives you an indication of the usage of appliances.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Smart meters are part of the wider big brother society. Why would anyone think smart meters are foisted on you because its more convenient to you? The energy companies will easily switch you off at the click of a mouse when energy consumption is high.

Banks are closing at a pace because the vast majority are now using cards to pay for goods instead of cash. Would a cashless society be for your convenience? The Government will dress it up as such but I fear a total loss of personal freedom will be gone when a digitised currency finally arrives. And smart meters and apps and self serving tills at supermarkets are all setting us up for this to take place.
    Good grief Phil

It's called moving on and accepting a certain level of monitoring for a product that we use. And quite frankly, if I were supplying a product that is as volatile in price as it is now, I wouldn't be comfortable in just guessing how much my customers were using!!

No one said it was soley convenient for us for the energy companies to use smart meters. It is convenient for THEM because they don't have to employ a fleet of grey boring twonks to come and knock our doors and search for a dusty cupboard with our meter in, and to remove their shoes and/or wear bl00dy shoe protectors into the bargain!

Anyhow, up the baggies! 😃

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Glad we haven't got a water meter, we have just had the drive dug up for a leak.
    Can’t you use the loo like the rest of us😉😉😉

Quote Originally Posted by Bombers right foot View Post
    Can’t you use the loo like the rest of us������

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)