+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Of Attorney

Power Of Attorney

Anyone gone down ,or in the process of going down this road, as their twilight years approach ? I am told you can download the forms yourself and do it that way. Or, failing that, go and see someone in the legal fraternity to sort it out for you. It’s something we’ve been thinking about, and maybe should have actioned it by now. It would probably make things a lot simpler in the future for other dependants in our family, once it’s all in place.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

My wife had power of attorney for her parents,it was so simple in those days,going back 30yrs or so.Went to the solicitors with her parents who were asked if they agreed to it and signed a form saying so,then the solicitor went to another solicitor to witness and sign the form and that was it then. Really easy,but most probably a nightmare in these times Mal..Good luck mate..

My missus got power of attorney for her mum a few years ago, she was getting forgetful, couldn't get out to the bank etc, so it made it much easier to sort her finances out for her. The process was fairly straightforward and mum in law was all for it as well, so there were no problems.

Mrs S, who knows more about these things than I do, reckons it's not necessary while two of you are in reasonable health and still compos mentis. One of you can always look after the other's affairs, I think she's waiting for me to pop my clogs, or lose my marbles before getting our son involved.

I would highly recommend it malwayne.

It's a fairly straight forward process to do it yourself online.

If you have aging parents still alive it's must.

There are TWO sides of it medical and financial.

For the cost and piece of mind it's a MUST DO.

My father-in-law passed last March without putting the Power of Attorney in place.

Result = NIGHTMARE.

Agree. Took out the Financial and Health ones for the Mother in Law using the online government website https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney It is £82 for each one which is a damn site cheaper than going to a solicitor.
    Be aware that the LPA (Legal Power of Attorney) is only valid if the individual is still alive. Once past then they rely on a will which is another must otherwise it goes to probate.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Matelot View Post
    Agree. Took out the Financial and Health ones for the Mother in Law using the online government website https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney It is £82 for each one which is a damn site cheaper than going to a solicitor.
    Be aware that the LPA (Legal Power of Attorney) is only valid if the individual is still alive. Once past then they rely on a will which is another must otherwise it goes to probate.
    It took me almost a full 7 months to sort out the Certificate of Probate, I just wish now I had persuaded "Old Bob" to give us LPA but he honestly thought he would live forever.

We are already offering the option to our two oldest kids just in case.

My Mum passed away last year but I had POA for her for the last 30 years,it made life a whole lot easier.Any problems and Mum just used to
    say "See my son".Towards the end she was in hospital but had a private apartment.Covid intervened and we had to get her into care,without
    POA it would have been extremely difficult.My daughter now has POA for both myself and my wife.

I did Probate for Mum which was difficult due to Covid with everywhere and everyone working from home.A Solicitor friend gave me a tip.
    "Don't send the application to Harrow,ask for it bi-lingual and take it into the Probate office in Cardiff.It isn't open to the public but just knock the door and explain to the security guard who answers why you want to deliver it there,Harrow would only send it to Cardiff anyway".Result I had a bi-lingual Probate back in 5 working days.

Well...Has any of this helped you Malwayne?

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Well...Has any of this helped you Malwayne?
    Yes it has Alf. I thought it would be a good idea to put the subject on here, as I knew I would get a constructive response. It’s is something that needs addressing, sometimes it slips under the radar as you get older. We have already spoken to our daughter, and downloaded the forms ready to be filled in. Thanks to everyone concerned.

Good..Its nice to see that we can help each other amongst all the banter 😎

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)