+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Simpson’s record this time.

Simpson’s record this time.

I’m consigning history to the bin for this one, what went before is for the archaeologists. Paul has had a number of previous Clubs and there have been highs (winning a lower-age World Cup) and lows (debateable) All that matters is that he fits our current needs and we fit his. I can’t imagine what he went through battling cancer but he’s come out the other side a stronger person. Before his appointment we were on our way out of the league with barely a whimper. So how has he done since last February?

I’m only looking at the league and we’ve played 41 games and achieved 70 points. That translates to 78.5 points over a season, enough for the playoffs last term. That is a statement to the BoD about making the right decisions, to the supporters about faith and trust that matters can come right on the pitch and to other Clubs about getting the fit right. Strong links to the Club, footballing nouse and engendering the right spirit seem to be a formula for success. They certainly brought the crowds back which improved the income stream which helped the Club which helped with recruitment which helped with improved league positions. Looking forward continuing success should bring more interest and investment, bigger crowds and so the circle may continue.

Of course, there are no guarantees, but even short or medium term success is better than a continuing downward spiral, and we’ve been on one for some years. In fact you could argue that we are still on a financial bananaslide - and the discarded skin could lead to a fatal slip.

Who knows where this season will end. Let’s enjoy it, but let’s also learn from it because, in football, every day’s a school day.

Quite

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Before his appointment we were on our way out of the league with barely a whimper. So how has he done since last February?
    This is a very good question for those of us who don't know the ins and outs of the club,things was looking very dire before he came and yet the following season you are playing for automatic promotion,what inspired the owners to approach him,was it because he's a local boy and had success before,has he brought in better players and got rid of the ones that wasn't pulling their weight or did he getting more out of the ones that you had?
    What's his contract,other clubs in trouble will be looking at him and eyeing him up for up a quick fix,silly money tempting him could get them out of trouble

Last time he was here he left to join Preston and a lot of our fans were calling him "Judas" they thought because he was Carlisle born and bred he should be happy to stay forever with our unambitious board.

I think he’s come full circle and I doubt he and his family will want another move. He has a 3 year contract and I reckon that his illness has reminded him that there’s more to life than football so I can’t see him moving on for some time, if ever, and not to another Club. He’s a calmer and more rounded individuaL and he seems to handle management in his sleep. Basically, he says the right things and does the right things and he’s the right fit.

Now 43 league games and 76 points, that’s an equivalent of 81 points over a season. That would have been 3rd or 4th last season.

Last season 81 points would have been 1 point more than 4th. In fact it would have been 1 point more than 3rd. Both 3rd and 4th finished on 80 points.

81 points would therefore have been sufficient to get 3rd place.

Notts have played 29 games with 17 left and are on 68 points,with Wrexham almost certainly going up as champions it's possible that that we have 100+ points at the end of the season and still not go up,I don't fancy our chances in the lottery of the playoffs,look at Grimsby last year,underdogs in all three of their games yet it was them that went up

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)