+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Everton - a basket case

O/T:- Everton - a basket case

Throughout the postwar years, Everton have been a club to be admired - solid reliable performers, brilliant fan base, producers of fine youth talent;a Scouse counter to those who find the national obsession with 'the other lot' a bit cloying.
    Now look at them, they are collapsing spectacularly under an owner who is about as popular with the fans as Hardy became with us. And now they look to Bielsa - who failed big-time with Leeds in the Premier - as their saviour. A far better choice would be Dyche but no, English managers are not the fashion in the Premier.
    The times - they certainly are a-changing with clubs like Everton in sharp decline and Brighton who we outplayed at Wembley just over 30 years ago in the ascendancy.
    I can't help but feel that if Notts do not move upwards this season, it may be asking a lot for us to reverse our own decline.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 27-01-2023 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Fixed off topic prefix

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Throughout the postwar years, Everton have been a club to be admired - solid reliable performers, brilliant fan base, producers of fine youth talent;a Scouse counter to those who find the national obsession with 'the other lot' a bit cloying.
    Now look at them, they are collapsing spectacularly under an owner who is about as popular with the fans as Hardy became with us. And now they look to Bielsa - who failed big-time with Leeds in the Premier - as their saviour. A far better choice would be Dyche but no, English managers are not the fashion in the Premier.
    The times - they certainly are a-changing with clubs like Everton in sharp decline and Brighton who we outplayed at Wembley just over 30 years ago in the ascendancy.
    I can't help but feel that if Notts do not move upwards this season, it may be asking a lot for us to reverse our own decline.
    They could have Pep, but it wouldn’t matter. The club is rotten to the core and a big part of that is the ownership.
    You only have to look at some clubs who have issues of fans v owners to see that clubs fail in the league. Blackpool is one. Oldham recently. Charlton has issues and dropped to L1. Don’t underestimate negativity impacting the players. Everton will be relegated

I expect them to go with Dyche. He's exactly what's called for. A steady hand who can get the best out of what they've got without any major signings.
    Bielsa would be wholesale change for them and they haven't got the funds or the time more importantly to do that.

Fully agree with you about Everton, who are the polar opposite of Brighton. One club has a DNA, a strategy, a blueprint; the other lurches from one crisis to the next, mistakenly believing that money will solve their problems (our neighbours had a similar philosophy for many years too).

Of course, it wasn't that long ago that Brighton were one game away from going out of the league and were playing home games 80-odd miles away at Gillingham. Shows you what happens when you get smart owners with a plan. Oh, and money always helps there too when you're sensible with it.

I'd disagree about Notts being in decline, though. I think the Reedtz brothers have definitely stabilised us and we are on the up in so many areas - attendance; football philosophy; training facilities; management. Of course, the only thing that truly matters is getting back into the EFL and staying there, but all the pieces are now in place for that to happen - hopefully this spring.

As a born and bred Red I view Everton as many here view Forest. When I was a lad Everton were the team in ascendancy. I chose the underdog, as I did when I moved to Nottingham 40 years ago.

Everton were a competent club until the ex-Coronation Street actor took over. They've made many bad decisions since, especially owner-wise, and Bielsa would be cherry on the cake. I hope that's the decision they make but surely the job has Dyche written all over it. Unless they fancy Burch!

Not sure where the pessimism comes from if we don't get promoted this season, sidders. If that were to be the case, there would be no Wrexham or Chesterfield, more than likely in this division next season. So unless the owners, LW or both do a runner I cannot see why we wouldn't be favourites to get back into the EFL next season.

Everton were our first ever opponents in a league fixture, at Anfield!
    Goodison the scene of our greatest triumph, winning the FA Cup there. Will be sad when they leave.

Currently 10th highest average gates in the PL, 39,225, so I'm sure they'll be fine in the long term.

Liverpool's population is not much bigger than Nottingham's* and yet they have managed to maintain two top flight clubs and both very successful until relatively recently.

*Nottingham's official population being smaller than what it actually is due to council boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Not sure where the pessimism comes from if we don't get promoted this season, sidders. If that were to be the case, there would be no Wrexham or Chesterfield, more than likely in this division next season. So unless the owners, LW or both do a runner I cannot see why we wouldn't be favourites to get back into the EFL next season.
    Probably the next “massive” club to come down… then we can convince ourselves all over again that they’re a freak team and we’re doing well to compete with them… ad infinitum.

Quote Originally Posted by GranthamPie View Post
    Probably the next “massive” club to come down… then we can convince ourselves all over again that they’re a freak team and we’re doing well to compete with them… ad infinitum.
    Thing is we are doing well to compete with Wrexham its clear they are not top because of great skillsets but plenty of £££££.

They have been in NL for 16/17 years and done nowt until the money rolls in.

Look at Newcastle too Eddie Howe being praised like mad ok he has done well but its oil money that has got them at the top end.

If you have plenty of money and have decent data analyst / manager you are on the right path.

Yes Grantham there are some really 'massive' clubs looking likely to get relegated this season.,but even if there was, I am confident we will be in a stronger place to gain promotion. Maybe some people like to wallow in negativity. And no I am not a happy fu*cking clapper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast