+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6equ35

6equ35

Will you be keeping an eye on that asteroid (2023 BU) that's heading over South America this weekend?

At just 22,000 miles above us it seems a bit close to me,what if the calculations are out and it hits us,something the size of a minibus hitting Earth can cause some damage if you ask me and how come it wasn't noticed until last weekend, surely it should have been spotted before now?

You deffo need that hearing aid, it's 2200 miles, not 22,000 and it's a potential threat to many satellites which orbit earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
    Will you be keeping an eye on that asteroid (2023 BU) that's heading over South America this weekend?

At just 22,000 miles above us it seems a bit close to me,what if the calculations are out and it hits us,something the size of a minibus hitting Earth can cause some damage if you ask me and how come it wasn't noticed until last weekend, surely it should have been spotted before now?
    Indeed Chalky I am somewhat surprised that it was not noticed until last week-end, particularly because at least in America there are several different organisations monitoring the risk of an asteroid of significant size hitting the Earth. NASA is constantly doing this.

This asteroid was eventually spotted by a complete amateur.

Human beings are here today only because the dinosaurs who had been ruling the Earth for 250 million years were wiped out by the results of an asteroid impact. It impacted in shallow sea water near to land and it spread debris over land, sea and most v­itally as far as the atmosphere, causing darkness for years. No vegetation could grow, only very small animals were able to survive. When the atmosphere cleared a new evolution began and that is why we are here. If the asteroid had not hit it is quite possible that the dinosaurs would still be ruling the Earth much as then. The hit was 65 million years ago.

Nothing could argue with a dinosaur, it could simply put its foot down.

The Yanks, especially NASA should be well embarrassed by the fact that they did not spot the current asteroid and that an amateur did spot it.

Quote Originally Posted by yoonited View Post
    You deffo need that hearing aid, it's 2200 miles, not 22,000 and it's a potential threat to many satellites which orbit earth.
    2.200; miles!

Why the chuff did you tell me that!

That's practically skipping over the roof tops in space terms,I'm hiding under the bed this weekend

That's a fascinating post 6EQ,it's staggeringly that it was spotted by an amater rather than NASA or whoever,how high up are satellites,if it hits one would it just smash it to pieces and keep on going on it's way and my Skys gone or could it be deflected and my house has gone?

How big was the asteroid that took on the dinosaurs,are we talking mini bus size or bigger? (Please say it was massive 🤞 )

I have seen estimates that it was between 6 and 9 miles in diameter.

Maybe if the current asteroid causes worldwide conditions similar to those that saw off the dinosaurs and anything else bigger than a rabbit it could be seen as a cleansing act. The Earth would not be damaged and eventually the unpleasant conditions would clear and a pleasant future would be the result. Starting with nothing bigger than a rabbit existing there could then be another 65 million years of evolution resulting in a
    very advanced and better civilisation than the current one. Maybe that civilisation could then detect approaching asteroids more competently.

Quote Originally Posted by 6EQUJ5 View Post
    Maybe that civilisation could then detect approaching asteroids more competently.
    Maybe it may be best if God chose this opportunity to let another species be the dominant force on the Earth,we seem to have made a mess of the time that humankind has ran the show

I do find it fascinating that you can pick up fossils from millions of years ago for a relatively small price,you are looking at something that lived 100 million years ago or whatever,what's even more amazing is that we've only been studying fossils for a mere 150 years,what else will be discovered in future years?

Is the impact of the original asteroid visible to the human eye or is it just guess work? Will you be looking online at this asteroid when it passes?

There are massive asteroids out there of course but if one did come our way,say 5 miles across,could we actually do anything about it or do NASA keep quite and get pissed up waiting for the bang,it seems a bit of waste of time taking notes and observations under the circumstances

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)