+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 15 games in 8 weeks

15 games in 8 weeks

After this 'free' weekend the Alex have a punishing 15 games in 8 weeks. Quite apart from the strain this will place on the small squad, many will wonder whether the Alex will perform any better in that time. It will definitely be make or break and will end up defining the season. Either some people's dire prognostications will come to bear; the team will rally and develop a run of form or they will continue to plod along and grind out the odd positive result that will see them safe but unconvincing by the end of March.
    I know there are definite camps out there but let's just go along with the idea of a competitive prediction, including a surprise forecast amongst the overall picture.
    I'm in the 'plodding' group and I forecast that we'll scrape 21 points from the following 15 games (which will see us safe by the end of March). I also see us completing the double over Sutton. We will continue to draw a lot.
    Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    After this 'free' weekend the Alex have a punishing 15 games in 8 weeks. Quite apart from the strain this will place on the small squad, many will wonder whether the Alex will perform any better in that time. It will definitely be make or break and will end up defining the season. Either some people's dire prognostications will come to bear; the team will rally and develop a run of form or they will continue to plod along and grind out the odd positive result that will see them safe but unconvincing by the end of March.
    I know there are definite camps out there but let's just go along with the idea of a competitive prediction, including a surprise forecast amongst the overall picture.
    I'm in the 'plodding' group and I forecast that we'll scrape 21 points from the following 15 games (which will see us safe by the end of March). I also see us completing the double over Sutton. We will continue to draw a lot.
    Any takers?

The fact we have not had a competitive game for a few weeks is a concern as any slight momentum we had has been lost add to the fact the new players will need competitive game time to get up to speed could mean we gain the art of losing by circumstance our squad is painfully small and we are going to end up relying on players we would rather not play because we have no choice. All that being said fortunately and amazingly there are enough teams not as good as us this season so I predict 16th place in what will be a very disappointing season.

Interesting! So you think we'll gain a place by the end of the season. I think some would be happy to take that. What do you think will happen in this run of 15 games in 8 weeks?

Two points..

Are people ignorant or stupid? ie WTF is football being played in dire winter months when the chance of postponements is very high and then take almost three months off when fans could be sitting in their shirt sleeves? OK its always been like this but we need people with brains and intelligence to run this game. The ONLY reason we played in the winter was because cricket was almost as popular as football and they started playing when football ceased in early summer. Cricket is a non entity now.

2. Modern footballers with all their fitness regimes should be able to play 90 minutes twice a week if needed as they almost train every day and so football matches should be easy. Of course playing children in games will result in injuries and a poor squad means bottom 6.. If coaches allowed players to attack instead of playing the ball sideways and backwards would help a lot but they have all been trained like that and know little different..Its well known that intelligence and brains are the last thing footballers and those that run the game have but they are well overpaid for kicking a bladder about and thousands of coaches are on the gravy train and swear coaching and academies are essential....Referees seem a good job to have and you don't need to know much! Oh yes!
    Last edited by MikeSB; 27-01-2023 at 04:33 PM.

I would recommend having a close season in Jan/Feb/March and start the season on first Sat in April and last day on new years day the following year...Or Dec/Jan/Feb and start a bit earlier. Either way playing football in the winter on poor pitches is crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Two points..

Are people ignorant or stupid? ie WTF is football being played in dire winter months when the chance of postponements is very high and then take almost three months off when fans could be sitting in their shirt sleeves? OK its always been like this but we need people with brains and intelligence to run this game. The ONLY reason we played in the winter was because cricket was almost as popular as football and they started playing when football ceased in early summer. Cricket is a non entity now.
    Cricket a non entity? Never heard such tripe in all my life. Test cricket in this country in particular is on the up right now. Grounds full and rich entertainment. Give me cricket over football any day. Don't get me wrong, I will always want to watch my team but in the grand scheme of things, football comes a poor second to cricket.

Football, in the good old days as you never tire of telling us, was always a winter game starting towards the end of August and finishing towards the end of April. It starts earlier and finishes later now because of all the various additional cup matches (purely designed to generate income rather than entertainment) squeezed into the season. I would never support a winter break for the very reason there are a wealth of summer sports to enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Cricket a non entity? Never heard such tripe in all my life. Test cricket in this country in particular is on the up right now. Grounds full and rich entertainment. Give me cricket over football any day. Don't get me wrong, I will always want to watch my team but in the grand scheme of things, football comes a poor second to cricket.

Football, in the good old days as you never tire of telling us, was always a winter game starting towards the end of August and finishing towards the end of April. It starts earlier and finishes later now because of all the various additional cup matches (purely designed to generate income rather than entertainment) squeezed into the season. I would never support a winter break for the very reason there are a wealth of summer sports to enjoy
    Well said. Tripe.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    Well said. Tripe.

Well here is possibly a first I 1 million percent agree with you Timmy and Jimmyboldon utter TRIPE cricket is an excellent sport and agree football is a poor second to cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    Well here is possibly a first I 1 million percent agree with you Timmy and Jimmyboldon utter TRIPE cricket is an excellent sport and agree football is a poor second to cricket.
    A first for me too!
    Watched an excellent ladies under 19 victory yesterday, followed by the men…nuff said.

Cricket SECOND to football?

You lads live in a different world to most, that is for sure.

Actually I can say I was at old trafford when England were playing Australia and Laker took all those wickets..In the sixties that was..

Not many people can say that. I have never been so bored in my whole life and that was the only cricket match I saw live. And there were far more famous cricketers in those days than there are now...Bit like football.

I see the famous 3 or 4 are the only ones posting here...Possibly the rest are all cricket fans...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast