+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If I was Dons Manager I would ...

If I was Dons Manager I would ...

OK, for a fun ...

We are aa quick at downin oor boss' selections, tactics, etc ... usually in hindsight ... but .. let's get creative here

Ah'll start.

First priority ... sign some solid 'no-nonsense' central defenders.

Next ... punt Polvara, Watkins, Richardson, Morris.

Assess out on loan players progress,

In training, assess how the team perform, in an attacking sense, without Duk, Hayes, Kennedy and Besuijen .... Do we have an option in physical strength rather than pace and skill?

In training ... work on 'snapshots' .... first priority? How to keep shots lower than the crossbar. (aided by videos of many Lewis Ferguson 'rugby goals' )

In training ... Defence. How to 'blooter' a ball over the stands if necessary, if a positive pass is too much of a gamble.

In training ... compare Duk and Bezuijen's skills re. ball retention, with that of Johnny Hayes' physical strength re. same

Throw ins. ... yes ... fkn throw ins! ... How to retain possession from throw ins and use these to advantage. Strategies re. using a throw in as a 'move starter' rather than a way to get the ball back to our keeper ... or lose possession (cringe).
    The idea o 'winning' a throw in should play out in being an advantage ... it is only an advantage if the 'win' is taken advantage of.

Fitness. !!! ... Jim Goodwin's first big statement as AFC team manager was that he wanted a team of athletes. Darvel showed themselves more than a match re. stamina.

.... so ...

In training .... ensure all players likely to start are capable of being full fkn 'duracell' for 90 minutes, ... and all on bench proven similar. Any player replaced will be due to injury, or tactical .... never fatigue/tiredness unless said 'time called player has given 90 minutes in 50

Free kicks ... stop having two guys lined up to take a fkn free kick ... the non-kicker might be better employed going to where the 'kicker' is aiming to flight the ball .... or ... going some place the kicker wil NOT be flighting the ball.

Man-marking v zonal .... the former works well as long as our man is as good as their man... contingency required ... it's easy really, in a 4-2-3-1system ....

Right and left backs/wing backs/wing backs stay close, and goal side of advancing opposition wingers. centre backs fall back only as far as offside trap. A-mids fall back to intercept opposition back/diagonal passes, whilst def-mids fall back to support central defenders zonally.

Regaining possession, one good forward pass is enough to make opposition retreat ... accommodating a series of quick back/sideways passes in order to id a route beyond a retreating opposition

...............Well, that's what Ah'd dae

I would talk a good game, suffer some abuse then pocket my redundancy money.

Sorry lads.

2 new centre halves. Terminate Coulson loan. Play players in their right position(including meaning right footed players on the right side of the pitch no more of this inverted wingers pysh). No more farting about at the back. If we ever get a free kick anywhere on the pitch then play pointless passes which ultimately lead to the ball being passed back to the goalie, then a £1,000 fine for every player that touched the ball (goalie excluded)If Joe keeps on failing to stop shots on goal, play another goalie. If no suitable changes were able to be made defensively , just sod it and play 253 in the hope we can score more. Then, like Donsdaft, I'll accept the life changing pay off and not mention that it was the ineptitude of those wage thieving players that resulted in my sacking.
    COYR although today I appear to have 1% interest in bothering about the 3pm kick off

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I would talk a good game, suffer some abuse then pocket my redundancy money.

Sorry lads.
    That would be about my level as well.
    I'd try and have some good coaches around me who can take care of the fitba stuff and hope tae **** the FMC can monitor up some decent defenders.

Piss myself laughing at the unbelievably low expectations and standards of the club, put my feet up, and spark up another cigar…

Largely as per neeps - certainly on the hiring and firing.

I’d keep Coulson, but play him higher up the pitch - never in a position where he didn’t have a defender behind him.

But I dinnae pretend to understand all the coaching stuff and that’s what I’d simplify. I’d talk to each player individually each week about the 2-3 things I wanted them to focus on. But I’d basically strip the tactics right back - footballers on the whole are nae rocket scientists and it’s a simple game. So have a simple game plan and execute it. Attitude and application go a long way.

I’d hire a defensive coach. We’ve plenty of ex-Dandies who could help.

I’d make Shinnie captain.

I’d speak to every single member of staff from the cleaners and stewards on up and ask their opinions, and assess their attitude.

I’d double down on the Eastern European/non-UK scouting. Footballers are generally young and want to trade up on their current lifestyle. Aberdeen isn’t an upgrade on many places for young British footballers so pick leagues where it is. Or pick more mature players for whom Aberdeen fits - like it seems to for Jonny Hayes.

But basically weed out the dross on and off the park, simplify things and create a competitive, winning mentality. No f’ing lying down in front of the gruesome twosome.

Oh, and then wait to get fired.

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    OK, for a fun ...

We are aa quick at downin oor boss' selections, tactics, etc ... usually in hindsight ... but .. let's get creative here

Ah'll start.

First priority ... sign some solid 'no-nonsense' central defenders.

Next ... punt Polvara, Watkins, Richardson, Morris.

Assess out on loan players progress,

In training, assess how the team perform, in an attacking sense, without Duk, Hayes, Kennedy and Besuijen .... Do we have an option in physical strength rather than pace and skill?

In training ... work on 'snapshots' .... first priority? How to keep shots lower than the crossbar. (aided by videos of many Lewis Ferguson 'rugby goals' )

In training ... Defence. How to 'blooter' a ball over the stands if necessary, if a positive pass is too much of a gamble.

In training ... compare Duk and Bezuijen's skills re. ball retention, with that of Johnny Hayes' physical strength re. same

Throw ins. ... yes ... fkn throw ins! ... How to retain possession from throw ins and use these to advantage. Strategies re. using a throw in as a 'move starter' rather than a way to get the ball back to our keeper ... or lose possession (cringe).
    The idea o 'winning' a throw in should play out in being an advantage ... it is only an advantage if the 'win' is taken advantage of.

Fitness. !!! ... Jim Goodwin's first big statement as AFC team manager was that he wanted a team of athletes. Darvel showed themselves more than a match re. stamina.

.... so ...

In training .... ensure all players likely to start are capable of being full fkn 'duracell' for 90 minutes, ... and all on bench proven similar. Any player replaced will be due to injury, or tactical .... never fatigue/tiredness unless said 'time called player has given 90 minutes in 50

Free kicks ... stop having two guys lined up to take a fkn free kick ... the non-kicker might be better employed going to where the 'kicker' is aiming to flight the ball .... or ... going some place the kicker wil NOT be flighting the ball.

Man-marking v zonal .... the former works well as long as our man is as good as their man... contingency required ... it's easy really, in a 4-2-3-1system ....

Right and left backs/wing backs/wing backs stay close, and goal side of advancing opposition wingers. centre backs fall back only as far as offside trap. A-mids fall back to intercept opposition back/diagonal passes, whilst def-mids fall back to support central defenders zonally.

Regaining possession, one good forward pass is enough to make opposition retreat ... accommodating a series of quick back/sideways passes in order to id a route beyond a retreating opposition

...............Well, that's what Ah'd dae
    I’d say, after yet another defeat, that “it’s embarrassing, pathetic and unacceptable”, that we will “have a meeting with the players with a view to putting it right in the next game” (knowing full well that even three points in the next game won’t earn us any points from the preceding one), I’d then say almost exactly the same thing every week thereafter that we lose or draw, then, if we get an occasional win, I’d say “we’ll take the plaudits, we played some really great stuff, we were on the front foot from start to finish …”, then I’d go through exactly the same monotonous routine till I’m sacked, then I’d take my severance package home and try to invest it to the best of my ability in the full knowledge that this was the biggest gig I’d EVER get in football, and I’d phone up that delivery company to see if they still had a driving job for me. No, sorry, that strategy doesn’t work … I’m not sure to be frank but I’ll have a think ….

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    Oh, and then wait to get fired.
    You think Aberdeen is an upgrade from most Eastern European cities???

I always think the most important part of management is overlooked when the gormless ****s on the board are hiring managers.
    Every supporter, player & coach will have a working knowledge of the Scottish game. You can go and get your badges and learn something useful on top of that, which makes you qualified to take a training session. Unless you can actually manage the players though, you’ll never get anywhere.
    Fergie would’ve been a great manager if he was running a supermarket. Goodwin just doesn’t have it. He showed that when he turned up and said the whole squad were sh1t, how Considine & Ramirez were handled, dropping Shinnie on Monday night, then refusing to bring him on, the fact he’s still willing to turn up to work under these conditions knowing nobody in the game has any respect for him.
    The board and coaching team are just wasting everyone’s time. He’s not good enough & never will be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast