+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrexham v Sheff Utd

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    Ideal result of the replay would be a Wrectum win on pens after extra time.
    Just what I was going to post, but you beat me to it!"

Stating the obvious we simply have to win on Tuesday vs Solihul and on Saturday vs Torquay.

As Jackal points out Wrexham have put an awful lot into this cup run physically and emotionally while potentially losing 2 of their more influential players with injuries today, Hayden especially would be a huge loss.

If, and it's a big if - we can go 6 points clear, the pressure psychologically could really start to creep in for them especially while their owners are clearly focussed on progressing in a bid to obtain an FA cup glamour tie and getting more media coverage. This could really end up meaning they take their eye off the ball and the real prize.

Today's events might shake things up a bit or may end up being entirely insignificant but either way it has to be seen as a positive for us when small margins look like they will be the difference.
    Last edited by CheezyNCFC; 29-01-2023 at 06:57 PM.

It's the 1st time I have bothered to watch Wrexham this season & a few things spring to mind. They are a polar opposite to us as a club & a team both in the way they play & the behaviour of the team, staff & fans, very much a gerrit up, no messing about, long throw set up, Mullins is obviously their main threat & I can see why, but I'm sure he would be a much better player if he tried to stay on his feet, especially in the 1st half the game plan seemed to be, get into the area & fall over, a tactic that the fans backed in a big way. The result suits us fine & at the end of the day, apart from the diving they didn't let non league down, so let's hope for a bruising replay.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I'm surprised teams playing Wrexham haven't changed where their advertising boards are on the pitch. Pop it close in to the pitch and you nullify the long throw
    I thought the same!

Another fixture for them. Suits me

So they'll have to re-arrange the game against Yeovil on the 7th to play the replay. They may struggle on a pitch that doesn't resemble a ploughed field.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    It's the 1st time I have bothered to watch Wrexham this season & a few things spring to mind. They are a polar opposite to us as a club & a team both in the way they play & the behaviour of the team, staff & fans, very much a gerrit up, no messing about, long throw set up, Mullins is obviously their main threat & I can see why, but I'm sure he would be a much better player if he tried to stay on his feet, especially in the 1st half the game plan seemed to be, get into the area & fall over, a tactic that the fans backed in a big way. The result suits us fine & at the end of the day, apart from the diving they didn't let non league down, so let's hope for a bruising replay.
    First time I've had chance to study Wrexham. As I saw it:

1. The are much more direct than Notts.

2. The relentless long throw tactic is tedious in the extreme but probably effective in wearing teams down.

3. They are skilled in the "dark arts" of football. (Profitable combination of multiple appeals and gullible NL refs.)

4. Mullin was excellent. (Keep him quiet & you're half way there?)

I thought Wrexham played really well actually. Yes they’re direct, but they also mixed it up and played some good stuff when they needed to. Mullins is a quality player, could easily play league one and maybe above. Perhaps he will look back on his career and have a few regrets about playing in this league at the height of his career. The pitch scared me, I can’t see how we could go there and play our passing game without the ball flying off everywhere.

That we’ve kept up with Wrexham when they are performing like that illustrates just how well LW and everyone at the club has done this season….but I can’t help but see us in the playoffs, Wrexham seem to be riding a wave at the minute.

They did concede from two corners today though, shame our corners are woeful!

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    Ideal result of the replay would be a Wrectum win on pens after extra time.
    Not a win.
    If they do then they are starting to earn really serious money - both from the FA for the win (the further you do you get much more) and from the TV money.
    This money could be used to pay the wages of some very expensive players on loan. Or even buying outright.
    So yes another game with the mental stress, one or two knocks to the players and four or five bookings would do very nicely.
    But I want them to lose heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    First time I've had chance to study Wrexham. As I saw it:

1. The are much more direct than Notts.

2. The relentless long throw tactic is tedious in the extreme but probably effective in wearing teams down.

3. They are skilled in the "dark arts" of football. (Profitable combination of multiple appeals and gullible NL refs.)

4. Mullin was excellent. (Keep him quiet & you're half way there?)
    We've just watched a team that's trying to get into the EFL v a team trying to get out of the EFL. Wrexham look tough and put lots of pressure on defences. It's alright keeping possession but we are playing NL teams and at home teams that pack the box. Look for deflections, blocked shots that rebound to one of our players, goalies who drop or mis-punch. We have poachers, we have players who can shoot from a distance, we have players who can draw a foul in the penalty box.

Can't help feel we are too pretty to beat Wrexham out of this league. Maybe we can wear them out with keeping the ball away from them but they look as though they are always going to create an ugly chance.

Good result for us though. They're up for the fight but do they have the stamina for the extra games?
    Last edited by SwalePie; 30-01-2023 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast