+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schooldays

Largely enjoyed it. Went to a boys only grammar school until 16 … then they merged us with the Girls High School up the road …. Teaching went downhill after that … but the education improved ….

Rose tinted specs and all that but I look back fondly on all of it

Had a not so nice period towards the end of my time at primary school when I was bullied. I was quite a quiet and soft kid then but when I eventually lost it with him and smacked him in the mouth resulting in a bit of blood and a lost tooth that thankfully stopped. It also however earnt me a canning from the new headmaster (which then earnt him a b ollocking from my Dad!)

The PE teacher (who else) at Middle School was a bit of a bully (a bit like the Brian Glover character in "Kes") but I must have been fortunate because I always had a couple of really good teachers in all the schools I went to who were both supportive and encouraging. Overall, I enjoyed my time at school and, whilst I worked various part time jobs as a ****ager that I liked to think kept me a bit more grounded, I also enjoyed the academic side.

I went to boarding school until O levels, aged 16, I really didn’t like it and didn’t do well, although did have some fun, would have gone mad otherwise! Looking back, I should have made a lot more of it, a missed opportunity in some respects. I went to Halesowen Grammar School for my A levels, Co-ed, girls……..! Heaven! Had a much better time but again, could have done much better academically; in my defence, though, there were other distractions! I wonder how my life would have been different had I made the most of the education on offer.

Infants and Junior school was ok. Passed the 11 plus somehow. I think it was because my dad promised me a bike if I passed. Absolutely detested grammar school. Full of bullies and total w**kers. I was lucky enough for some reason not to be a target for them but some of the kids must have considered suicide they were tormented so much. The day I walked out of that school for the last time was one of the best days of my life. I put it on a par with attending the 1968 FA Cup final, passing my driving test and divorcing my first missus.

I deliberately failed my eleven plus. We lived across the road from a junior and senior school but it was the Birmingham New Road and my parents who both worked didn't fancy me crossing it. So for six years I had to walk a mile and back four times a day in all weather's.
    If I had passed my eleven plus I would have gone to Bilston Grammar which was two bus rides and a walk away.
    So I deliberately failed it and walked across the road every day instead.
    I think I ended up in the headmasters office every morning.lol.
    I once won ten shillings from my classmates by betting them I could get the geography teacher to eat dog biscuits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)