+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home grown players

MT,

thanks. You are very good at finding stuff on the net that I can't. I must not put the right Bolo key words in.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    I'll get my head in my hands as usual, accusation of xenophobia will fly, but........

As I've said a week or so ago, our 1st team squad is now indistinguishable from just about every other PL squad, in terms of players who have anything but the slightest of connections with the club. Cast your eye over the starting line-up against Accrington, Sam Greenwood arrived at Leeds courtesy of the Arsenal academy and spent 6 months in U23s (?), appearing for the 1st team on 7 occasions in the 21/22 season and 10 so far this. Harrison and Bamford are the only other English players in the starting 11, and obviously weren't home grown in the sense of being youth "graduates" on arrival at Leeds.

Recall is always possible, but as per another comment on the good or bad of the transfer window, all the clubs can find ways of fielding players they want to field, irrespective of "the rules". I suspect LUFC will be no different.

NB. Hope and I are working on different definitions of "home grown", and the comment he makes about us signing a bunch of 17/18yr olds makes the point regarding how "rules were meant for fools and the guidance of wise men"
    WTF, understand the desire to have a "pure" team of UK based players as well as academy developed. However, as someone the gets to experience an almost "pure" league of home grown players (The MLS) it's not all what it's cracked up to be. I also watch some Mexican and Argetina games on the tube and they aren't all they are cracked up to be either. Not intended as a slam but the reality is that any time you limit a pool of players to one country you won't be the best. Still good to watch but not the best football in the world. The reason the prem has such as world wide following is that it is the best quality of football in the world.

I do like they they have a clause that requires some homegrown players and it's to every teams advantage to have a good academy to develop players, if for no other reason than economics, but at the end of the day I want to see the best football in the world and the Prem has it. The prem also has that death league punishment known as the championship. Nothing harder on the planet to get out of promotion wise than that league. It's truly an incentive not to get relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    WTF, understand the desire to have a "pure" team of UK based players as well as academy developed. However, as someone the gets to experience an almost "pure" league of home grown players (The MLS) it's not all what it's cracked up to be. I also watch some Mexican and Argetina games on the tube and they aren't all they are cracked up to be either. Not intended as a slam but the reality is that any time you limit a pool of players to one country you won't be the best. Still good to watch but not the best football in the world. The reason the prem has such as world wide following is that it is the best quality of football in the world.

I do like they they have a clause that requires some homegrown players and it's to every teams advantage to have a good academy to develop players, if for no other reason than economics, but at the end of the day I want to see the best football in the world and the Prem has it. The prem also has that death league punishment known as the championship. Nothing harder on the planet to get out of promotion wise than that league. It's truly an incentive not to get relegated.
    Not wanting something "pure" in that sense. After all, the great Don Revie constructed a squad from a variety of nations, and from what existed before the concept of the "Academy" was born. Different times, obviously, players often made careers at one club in those days. Not expecting that, but to look at the starting line up and apart from knowing they are Leeds players by virtue of being told as much, the connection that has existed (not that long ago) between club, player and supporters is sadly lacking.

You and I have disagreed on the subject of Patrick Bamford, but I'd suggest that at the moment he, possibly Harrison, Meslier (nice quote from him that MT provided) are the only ones that remain "competitive" as 1st team regulars (please stay fit Patrick!) and who really do seem to "get" LUFC). Just a shame that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Not wanting something "pure" in that sense. After all, the great Don Revie constructed a squad from a variety of nations, and from what existed before the concept of the "Academy" was born. Different times, obviously, players often made careers at one club in those days. Not expecting that, but to look at the starting line up and apart from knowing they are Leeds players by virtue of being told as much, the connection that has existed (not that long ago) between club, player and supporters is sadly lacking.

You and I have disagreed on the subject of Patrick Bamford, but I'd suggest that at the moment he, possibly Harrison, Meslier (nice quote from him that MT provided) are the only ones that remain "competitive" as 1st team regulars (please stay fit Patrick!) and who really do seem to "get" LUFC). Just a shame that's all.
    Although not "home grown" by your definition, I think Luke Ayling is also English along with Barndoor Bamford and Harrison. Now that Ayling is back from injury I dont think Bamford and Harrison will be the only ones who remain "competitive" as 1st team regulars.

You are correct on Harrison. he seems to relish playing for us. Meslier wants to be France's #1 as his lifetime goal. If we can stay relevant to that goal he'll also be Leeds through and through. However, I do worry that if the right team came along (scum, citeh, chelski or a PSG) he'd go in a flash. Not because of Leeds but his chance to get front and center to be Loris's replacement. Personally, I think playing for us gives him a chance to shine every game. Keepers don't get bored on our team. Bamford's a little tougher. with his injury issues I'm not sure how many chances he's had to go elsewhere. Cooper and Ayling do seem very loyal as well and almost all of their development occurred while wearing our kit.
    I'm not sure Adams won't be the same way. He seems very intense and driven to represent us well. This is his first taste of English football. It may imprint on him and he'll want to stick with us for his career.

I will admit that I'm still a little surprised on KP. I really thought he might be a lifer for Leeds. I'm sure the extra money he makes is nice but wonder if he had it to do all over again that he wouldn't have stayed with us. Hard to feel sorry for someone that's indpendently wealthy but is he really happy with the way things turned out?

Sure KP would want more game time but for his transfer fee we got two players so not a bad piece of business all in all however much we miss him

Ah for the days when you had the likes of the "Lisbon Lions" and a pint of beer for 2 and 6

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post

The quality of those leagues is bad because the European clubs rape there clubs. When only 2 foreigners were allowed per team there leagues were brilliant dare to say better than pre premier league.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)