+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home grown players

Home grown players

I know there is a requirement for this but not familiar with the rule.

How do we stack up on this currently and can we recall someone on loan based on that requirement.

We stack up fairly well apart from …..

A lot of them as you say are on loan and most loan agreements have a recall clause. Good explanation on the Premier League web site

Squad of 25 of whom at least 8 must be home grown (‘it’s have been with the club for 3 seasons before the season they turn 21). If you only have 17 over 21s none of them need to be home grown though.

Under 21s don’t count towards that squad limit of 25.

Of our current squad - Meslier would count as home grown and Struijk too I think. Hjelde and Cresswell will id we keep them etc.

That in part will be the reason we are signing lots of good 17 and 18 year olds.

I'll get my head in my hands as usual, accusation of xenophobia will fly, but........

As I've said a week or so ago, our 1st team squad is now indistinguishable from just about every other PL squad, in terms of players who have anything but the slightest of connections with the club. Cast your eye over the starting line-up against Accrington, Sam Greenwood arrived at Leeds courtesy of the Arsenal academy and spent 6 months in U23s (?), appearing for the 1st team on 7 occasions in the 21/22 season and 10 so far this. Harrison and Bamford are the only other English players in the starting 11, and obviously weren't home grown in the sense of being youth "graduates" on arrival at Leeds.

Recall is always possible, but as per another comment on the good or bad of the transfer window, all the clubs can find ways of fielding players they want to field, irrespective of "the rules". I suspect LUFC will be no different.

NB. Hope and I are working on different definitions of "home grown", and the comment he makes about us signing a bunch of 17/18yr olds makes the point regarding how "rules were meant for fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Last edited by WTF11; 30-01-2023 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    We stack up fairly well apart from …..

A lot of them as you say are on loan and most loan agreements have a recall clause. Good explanation on the Premier League web site

Squad of 25 of whom at least 8 must be home grown (‘it’s have been with the club for 3 seasons before the season they turn 21). If you only have 17 over 21s none of them need to be home grown though.

Under 21s don’t count towards that squad limit of 25.

Of our current squad - Meslier would count as home grown and Struijk too I think. Hjelde and Cresswell will id we keep them etc.

That in part will be the reason we are signing lots of good 17 and 18 year olds.
    We will see if the young players being signed atm are "good" in due course. Our record on such things is not good

Our record is good as we are supplying other clubs with players. We will change from dirty leeds to kind leeds.

Loaners not Loiners.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    I know there is a requirement for this but not familiar with the rule.

How do we stack up on this currently and can we recall someone on loan based on that requirement.
    This may help you Spaldy.

Premier League definition of Home grown player.
    https://www.premierleague.com/news/102383

Simple is it not but then look at this below list. 🤔

2022/23 Premier League squad lists including U21's.
    https://www.premierleague.com/news/2786707
    🤣

Leeds submitted a squad of 21 at the start of season 2022/23 by the way but I'm not even sure of the situation now.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    We will see if the young players being signed atm are "good" in due course. Our record on such things is not good
    Agreed time will tell - point being they are good at this age group but no guarantee how they will develop and also requires a set up that promotes youth to the first time and gives them enough game time.

Problem with the rule if that there is no absolute you must have 8 home grown players but each player beyond having 17 non home grown players must be home grown.

If they tightened the rule it would place more emphasis on academy progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post
    Loaners not Loiners.
    I see what you did there - Orgs the king of one liners 🙃

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    I see what you did there - Orgs the king of one liners 🙃
    I was quite pleased with it.

That said, I’m often the only one (especially in the US) chuckling at them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)