+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who Was The Last Wow Signing In Your Opinion ?

The last buzz I had was when we signed Hignett and I wasn’t disappointed.

I’ll never forget way back walking out of the market and on one of those Star bulletin boards that we’d signed Allan Clarke as player/manager,
    That was my biggest buzz.

When we got John hendrie over the line too
    Remember his performance at wolves away 96/97
    The final piece of Wilson’s jigsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle council View Post
    When we got John hendrie over the line too
    Remember his performance at wolves away 96/97
    The final piece of Wilson’s jigsaw
    Same here agree.

I was a bit young at the time but I did see him play for us none the less but they say Jimmy Robson was a bit of a coup for a fourth division club .

Jimmy won the league title with Burnley in the early 60's .

Hendrie, Hignett we’re wow factors for me, but I also got a buzz when we signed Ward and Fjortoft.

I'm with Doggs on this one.

We were a run of the mill Fourth Division club in 1978 when we signed England international Allan Clarke as player manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Yeah the Jan Molby loan deal was huge at the time, just like Molby himself was lol.
    And although it wasn't a wow signing, I was impressed when we signed Andy Payton. But it was a shame to lose Wayne Biggins as part of the swap deal.
    Agree Payton was a proven goalscorer and a great acquisition. It was a shame to lose Biggins who, despite ageing, was one of my boyhood heroes at Oakwell. However, that deal was a no brainer and a great bit of business by the club.

Viv Anderson was a huge name and injected a lot of interest but as we saw, he weren't cut art for management. He did however perhaps sow the seeds for what happened 4 years later by bringing in Eric Winstanley from working with the kids to being first team coach and introducing the passing football that got the squad heading in the right direction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12