+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxford United v Barnsley Match Thoughts

Poor performance good result not sure Bolton & Ipswich will be hearing our “thundering hoaves” just yet !! lol.
    I’d take a very good point on Saturday after that.

I am delighted we got the three points but as the match went on our performance deteriorated & in the end it was awful & if anyone wonders why I preferred Walton to Collins his performance tonight made it clear , he frightened the living daylights out of me from the first whistle to the last but hey ho we move on to Fratton park & hopefully another good result but we will have to play better than that .

Weren't we comfortable though for 60 odd minutes.
    Then all of a sudden its time wasting and spoiling tactics and hanging on, for the last 25 minutes. And where did he get nearly 10 minutes of stoppages from!!.

If anyone wonders why I preferred Walton to Collins his performance tonight made it clear , he frightened the living daylights out of me from the first whistle to the last.

Collins carrying injury and is a doubt for the game at Portsmouth.

Doug O'Kane
    @dougokane88
    Duff says Collins is now a doubt for Saturday after picking up an injury second half, has been struggling with his quad. Could be early debut for Isted but not definite
    10:15 PM · Feb 1, 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Weren't we comfortable though for 60 odd minutes.
    Then all of a sudden its time wasting and spoiling tactics and hanging on, for the last 25 minutes. And where did he get nearly 10 minutes of stoppages from!!.
    I think you may have answered the question in your last sentence in your second sentence.

I recall you heaping praise on Big Val for time wasting tactics (especially Collins) and sh1thousery. The term to use now is "game management".

The three points gained tonight could well prove important to secure a Play Off spot

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Absolute tripe in that second half , defensively a shambles at times .

I'll take the win but that wasn't anywhere near good enough .
    Yep agreed.
    Absolutely battered Oxford in the 1st Half.
    On 12 minutes we should have been 3 nil up.
    We are still not clicking in the final third.
    Then 2nd Half - if Oxford were half decent they could have easily won it.

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    If anyone wonders why I preferred Walton to Collins his performance tonight made it clear , he frightened the living daylights out of me from the first whistle to the last.

Collins carrying injury and is a doubt for the game at Portsmouth.

Doug O'Kane
    @dougokane88
    Duff says Collins is now a doubt for Saturday after picking up an injury second half, has been struggling with his quad. Could be early debut for Isted but not definite
    10:15 PM · Feb 1, 2023
    Thanks Poggy. I wasn't having a go at Collins; he was just unusually poor all game last night. The quad injury explains it. I thought Walton was equally as good as Collins but, as Animal said, Collins has the advantage in the sweeper keeper role.
    Good 3 points and we were easily the best team for the first hour but shocking for the last half hour. We move on with 3 points in the bag.

It's a bit like that horse racing game at the front of the pier at Blackpool. We have rolled a ball into the three hole and our hoss has moved to create a gap but the players down the row could easily be past us with a couple of throws.

As an aside, would Duff travel back with the team arriving in Barnsley early Thursday morning only to board the bus again Friday morning to travel down to Portsmouth ? Or would he leave it to his Assistants while he has a couple of days with the family in Cheltenham, a bit like Norman Stanley Fletcher in the compassionate leave episode of Porridge ?
    Last edited by SBRed48; 02-02-2023 at 08:28 AM.

The whole squad are still in Cheltenham SB

They travel down to Portsmouth tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Arblasterfromthepast View Post
    Thanks Poggy. I wasn't having a go at Collins; he was just unusually poor all game last night. The quad injury explains it. I thought Walton was equally as good as Collins but, as Animal said, Collins has the advantage in the sweeper keeper role.
    Good 3 points and we were easily the best team for the first hour but shocking for the last half hour. We move on with 3 points in the bag.
    I agree with you, Collins may have ended up injured but he was off it from the start , he somehow managed to step over the line twice inside a minute to give them 2 corners & that seemed to set his performance for the night , poor kicking, getting closed down with the ball missed punches etc etc , but hopefully it was a one off & we still managed to get the 3 points so no harm done but I wish he would give over with his excessive time wasting , he is getting away with yellows at the moment but a red is not far away me thinks .

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast