+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. Solihull Moors 31.01.23 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by KintoreMagpie View Post
    :

Presumably that is to shore up the defence that suffered the loss of two players in the game v Sheffield Utd.

I would have thought that this amazing undefeated run would mean I would be as cool as a cucumber watching the Notts’ stream but, instead, I suffer all manner of agony. It’s as if I know they are one loose pass away from a concession. The two goals given away in both the Oldham and Maidstone games were self inflicted. The Moor’s goal last night was and I am pretty sure the one v BHW had an error from the defence somewhere in its lead up. Hoping for a game where Notts have the ball for a full 90 minutes and restrict the opposition to shots from the half way line whilst Notts score at will. Is it too much to ask we get that sort of performance v Chesterfield

Seriously, a huge win last night and all we can ask is that the lads continue to keep the pressure up on Wrexham.
    KM, the only way a team can score a goal is if the other side makes a mistake but not all mistakes lead to goals.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    I've been a critic of Bostock based on what I've seen of him but I'm pleased he's coming good. I wasn't being nasty to the man, I've never met him, so we'll see if he continues to improve or if my first thoughts of him were accurate, I hope it's the former.

As for Langstaff, I saw him against Halifax and how he was dodging left and right and waving for the ball to come over the top from our defence, it never did so I suppose our defenders were playing to orders and the ball had to go through midfield and wing first. That's OK if it's producing the goods but it does make us readable.

You can see Slocombe's just dying to hoof it straight into attack occasionally, but Sir sez no. You can see on MOTD even Premiership defenders make a balls-up of "playing it out of defence" so just imagine how more likely it is that non-league defenders will do the same but more often.
    Sure we need to be a little unpredictable though, surely even LW knows that. Hopefully he'll give the players some control of what they do if they feel it'll work or are they too scrared to try it?

Our defence is still a big worry for me even though we have one of the lowest goals against. However considering how much possession we have this should really be lower. Every time Solihull went forward I feared the worst last night....I never used to be this grey on top
    Last edited by SwalePie; 01-02-2023 at 11:14 AM.

We have improved at the back every season since relegation, but for some reason I'm never 100% confident in the defence.
    Thought Nemane was lucky last night to stay on the pitch, the ref didn't even pull him up for a foul on their player.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 01-02-2023 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Watching that it looks clear (to me) that their keeper saves the Langstaff 1 on 1 rather than Macca putting it wide. Am I imagining it?

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Sure we need to be a little unpredictable though, surely even LW knows that. Hopefully he'll give the players some control of what they do if they feel it'll work or are they too scrared to try it?

Our defence is still a big worry for me even though we have one of the lowest goals against. However considering how much possession we have this should really be lower. Every time Solihull went forward I feared the worst last night....I never used to be this grey on top
    We were very sloppy at times giving the ball away in dangerous areas. I thought both Baldwin and Cameron were well below their best. But if you can come away with 3 points those mistakes are soon forgotten..

Both were pens.
    Scott would've scored. But pause the highlights when Palmer gets knocked over for the 2nd, there were about 8 Moors players blocking any pass. It would've come to nothing. Ardley and the rest of the team should be annoyed with that player - a Jayden Richardson-type foul!

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    We have improved at the back every season since relegation.

Burch didn't improve the defence in terms of goals, we were way down in 9th for conceding the least in the division in his full season.

Average goals against per game and position in defence league table
    2018/19 - Nolan-Kewell-Ardley 1.83 (24th)
    2019/20 - Ardley 1.00 (2nd)
    2020/21 - Ardley-Burch 0.98 (5th)
    2021/22 - Burch 1.18 (9th)
    2022/23 - LW 0.90 (2nd)

I know we have played the high line all season and is a V.I.T.A.L. part of the pressing game but I was particularly nervous last night especially with the dodgy linesman in the first half .. he was just as dodgy 2nd half but he was doing our attackers.
    In fairness the referee seemed better last night but perhaps I'm biased with him giving us two penalties although I thought they both were.
    BTW does the 2nd goal count as a goal from a corner

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast