+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. Solihull Moors 31.01.23 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    We were very sloppy at times giving the ball away in dangerous areas. I thought both Baldwin and Cameron were well below their best. But if you can come away with 3 points those mistakes are soon forgotten..
    Were you anymore impressed with Bostock? I didn’t see the game but heard he did well.

There's no denying that Bostock impacted the game in a positive way last night. Him for Baj was what the game was screaming out for and I wanted Austin on for Scott but LW obviously felt obliged to give Jones more minutes, and in his defence Jones scared the living daylights out of the Solihull players down our right side and appeared to link up nicely with Nemane.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Were you anymore impressed with Bostock? I didn’t see the game but heard he did well.
    He did ok apart from giving the ball away near the dugout, which very nearly cost us. Other than that he does what he always does, apart from the odd forward pass. But overall, a slight improvement on previous games.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    He seemed a lot sharper somehow, just quicker response in receiving and distributing the ball I felt…makes sense I suppose having had some game time and the familiarity he will be building with the rest of the squad.

I agree with KillTheDrum regarding Langstaff and Scott. Reversing the roles, even if only for 10-15 minutes per match would be interesting to see.

I’m desperate for Jones to do well. It’s a bit of a contradiction but he looks sharp but also maybe wanted a bit too much time on the ball at times. I’m not convinced he is a CM but he still clearly has some quality.

What an important win!

COYP

Glad JB and JJ did well, we’re going to need them with so many games coming.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    We were very sloppy at times giving the ball away in dangerous areas. I thought both Baldwin and Cameron were well below their best. But if you can come away with 3 points those mistakes are soon forgotten..
    I think it was Barry Davies at the Mexico 86 World Cup who uttered the phrase "England cannot afford to make crass errors like that!"

I think "crass error" aptly describes Cameron's mistake last night, and one or two other defensive calamities recently.

You're right that it's easier to overlook them when the team has won in the end, but if we are going to beat Wrexham to first place by what is likely to be a fine margin, then it might well be decided by whether we learn recent lessons and stop goals like that. Being "brave on the ball" is one thing, but that's just being brainless on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I think it was Barry Davies at the Mexico 86 World Cup who uttered the phrase "England cannot afford to make crass errors like that!"

I think "crass error" aptly describes Cameron's mistake last night, and one or two other defensive calamities recently.

You're right that it's easier to overlook them when the team has won in the end, but if we are going to beat Wrexham to first place by what is likely to be a fine margin, then it might well be decided by whether we learn recent lessons and stop goals like that. Being "brave on the ball" is one thing, but that's just being brainless on the ball.
    I guess it’s just weighing it up which is virtually impossible. He never kicks the ball out, same with Brindley, so by keeping possession all the time how does that effect the team positively over a season compared to maybe him causing say 3 or 4 goals a season from overplaying?

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

Cameron contrived to make two mistakes in the goal - giving the ball away carelessly, and then failing to intercept the through ball because he couldn't sort his feet out (just needed whacking behind for a corner, so maybe he was overthinking it and trying to retain possession). Luckily, it wasn't a match-losing mistake.

We'll need the defence on form this weekend at another ground where we have a poor record since dropping down to non-league - last year's 5-1 drubbing was the low point of our National League life for me. Let's hope the tables are turned on Saturday, especially with so many tough games coming up this month.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112