+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 34 years too late

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    There’s usually only one disaster discussed when it comes to Liverpool fans. When you talk to them, when you hear about them, when you talk about them.
    It’s right that the Police apologise, but we shouldn’t forget the other tragedy either. A story that too often gets forgotten and hidden
    The difference between the two tragedies is that in the case of Heysal the Inquiry came about relatively quickly and the Liverpool fans were blamed for causing the tragedy .

Subsequently 14 fans were charged with manslaughter and were sentenced to three years imprisonment .

In other words justice was served and they weren't waiting over 30 years to see it administered .

Neither were the families of the deceased at Heysal subjected to police cover ups and the Establishment protecting their own to deny justice .

The Sun so called newspaper didn't print a pack of lies either to place the blame on innocent people .

It's the polar opposite of the Hillsborough disaster .

It is, exactly the Opposite in terms of the cover ups, news reporting and indeed the enquiry, and prosecutions/imprisonment really did come around very sharp, both for Liverpool fans involved and the local Authority figures involved in Belgium.
    Swift justice did , as you say occur.

My point is still the same though. one tragedy is forgotten and never mentioned.

My own thoughts on the “great fans of Liverpool” are best kept in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    It is, exactly the Opposite in terms of the cover ups, news reporting and indeed the enquiry, and prosecutions/imprisonment really did come around very sharp, both for Liverpool fans involved and the local Authority figures involved in Belgium.
    Swift justice did , as you say occur.

My point is still the same though. one tragedy is forgotten and never mentioned.

My own thoughts on the “great fans of Liverpool” are best kept in my head.
    Jules I'm not suggesting for one minute Liverpool fans are angels and their behaviour at Heysal was shameful .

When you say Heysal is forgotten that's fair enough but I suppose it's not something you'd want to mention too much if you are a Liverpool fan because it's a shameful episode in their history .

You don't hear the Germans talk about the holocaust too much either for much the same reason I guess .

[QUOTE=animallittle3;40207947]Jules I'm not suggesting for one minute Liverpool fans are angels and their behaviour at Heysal was shameful .

When you say Heysal is forgotten that's fair enough but I suppose it's not something you'd want to mention too much if you are a Liverpool fan because it's a shameful episode in their history .

You don't hear the Germans talk about the holocaust too much either for much the same reason I guess .[/QUOTE

“Germans fawlty!…. Bad eggs” ….

[QUOTE=Jules88;40207971]
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Jules I'm not suggesting for one minute Liverpool fans are angels and their behaviour at Heysal was shameful .

You don't hear the Germans talk about the holocaust too much either for much the same reason I guess .[/QUOTE

“Germans fawlty!…. Bad eggs” ….
    It also goes much deeper than Liverpool fans shamed by what happened at Heysal Jules .

The media very rarely say anything about Heysal if anything at all .

The reason in my opinion is that to do so would be detrimental to the PL brand given Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in England and have millions of fans worldwide and money talks in today's football world and Liverpool bring in millions of pounds of it in broadcasting and advertising revenue , don't bite the hand that feeds Jules is my point .

Certainly following Heysal the media were extremely hostile towards the Liverpool club and The Mirror identified those Liverpool fans who were involved in the violence that led to the tragedy .

This in turn made it extremely easy for those responsible for the deaths of the 96 at Hillsborough to pin the blame on Liverpool supporters because Heysal was still fresh in the country and Tory government's minds .

Get the “Brand damaging” point…. Probably right there. They will have looked at the damage suffered by the “S.n” newspaper and won’t be wanting to upset the customer base

It was right that the Mirror did that. If they had the evidence.

As you say, Had there not been the earlier tragedy, the fingers wouldn’t have been pointed so quickly, or as easily.

Over 130 deaths. Two incidents. Horrible

Knife wielding nazi collaborators
    Always will be jules

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12