+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Now the dust has settled...

Now the dust has settled...

There is much current euphoria amongst Clarets fans following the January transfer window which has seen Vincent Kompany bring in four additions to the first-team squad and three more youngsters into the Burnley Football Club Development programme.

Without trying to dampen down the fans' present joyousness it occurred to me that we have only 5 midfielders in the squad. That problem seriously needed addressing in my opinion, but Kompany has failed to do so. The lack of numbers in that area could really come back and bite us in the rear end in the demanding February match schedule overload. For instance, Jack Cork is suspended for Saturday’s visit to Norwich leaving Kompany with only Josh Brownhill, Josh Cullen, Samuel Bastien and if fit, Johann Berg Gudmundsson to fill the midfield berths.

Just to remind ourselves, the imminent challenging February schedule begins on Saturday when we play Norwich away on the 4th, Ipswich at home in the FA Cup replay on the 7th, Preston at home on the 11th, Watford at home on the 14th, Luton away on the 18th, Millwall away on the 21st then Huddersfield at home away on the 25th! That's 7 games in 25 days (about 3 and a half weeks), and we are going to need some serious contributions from deep within our newly embellished squad. The paucity in midfield options for Kompany to choose from is alarming to say the very least!

Now the dust has settled and the ‘phone has stopped ringing on Vincent Kompany’s agent hotline, here is the revised current player options from the Clarets’ 25 man playing squad:

Goalkeepers: Arijanet Muric, Bailey Peacock-Farrell, Denis Franchi.

Defenders: Charlie Taylor, Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Connor Roberts, Hjalmar Ekdal, Ameen Al-Dakhil, Vitinho, Ian Maatsen, Jordan Beyer.

Midfield: Jack Cork, Johann Berg Gudmundsson, Josh Brownhill, Josh Cullen, Samuel Bastien.

Attack: Jay Rodriguez, Ashley Barnes, Scott Twine, Lyle Foster, Manuel Benson, Anass Zaroury, Nathan Tella, Darko Churlinov, Michael Obafemi - assuming Halil Dervisoglu is returning to Brentford from his loan period.

It appears to me that Vincent Kompany may be about to adopt Kevin Keegan’s “Score more goals than the opposition” strategy, because injuries and suspensions to our midfielders might leave the Burnley gaffer with no other options.

Vincent Kompany has worked wonders so far for the Clarets, but I am still scratching my head as to why he did not strengthen the midfield area in what is an obvious shortage of numbers.

We kick off a demanding February schedule in Norwich on Saturday, fingers crossed our midfield five do not become our midfield one over the next 3 and a half weeks.

Attachment 23401

I reckon Jay and Ash could drop back if needed.

It's a fair point BT, but it's not one I'm losing any sleep over. We have an adaptable squad, it's almost Johan Cruyff's Total Football, Maatsen, Jay and Twine to name just three, seem to spend as much time in midfield as they do in their advertised positions.

Remember Sean's first season in the PL, we had just two CMs, Marney and Jones, failed to sign another one in January, first game in February Marney limped off, was out for the season and down we went. I don't think the current situation is anything like as serious as that. I'm sure Vinni will find a way to cope if he needs to.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    It's a fair point BT, but it's not one I'm losing any sleep over. We have an adaptable squad, it's almost Johan Cruyff's Total Football, Maatsen, Jay and Twine to name just three, seem to spend as much time in midfield as they do in their advertised positions.

Remember Sean's first season in the PL, we had just two CMs, Marney and Jones, failed to sign another one in January, first game in February Marney limped off, was out for the season and down we went. I don't think the current situation is anything like as serious as that. I'm sure Vinni will find a way to cope if he needs to.
    We are truly lopsided mon ami, but like you say VK will adapt, I'm just hoping he does not have to.

I made the same point previously BT. As far as I can see titles don’t mean too much in the set up. The forwards and strikers are dropping back, the full backs are pushing up, the midfield is fluid. With possession football and a high press, we seem to be able to control midfield.

However it does leave us vulnerable to counter attacks if we overextend.

Just a thought, Vinni was supposed to be very keen to sign Callum O'Hare from Coventry, until injury saw him off for the season. Could Vinni be keeping a place warm for him, should he have made a full recovery this summer ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Just a thought, Vinni was supposed to be very keen to sign Callum O'Hare from Coventry, until injury saw him off for the season. Could Vinni be keeping a place warm for him, should he have made a full recovery this summer ?
    Suggests to me VK knows we are light in midfield.

While the Clarets were able to significantly bolster their squad in both defence and attack during the January transfer window title rivals Sheffield United were placed under a transfer embargo which blunted the Blades plans to bring in new players. Burnley have opened a 7 point lead over Sheffield United and are probably now favourites to win the Championship. The performance at Carrow Road indicates neither VK or his team are likely to slacken off in the run in. Can we look to a good FA Cup run as well?

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    While the Clarets were able to significantly bolster their squad in both defence and attack during the January transfer window title rivals Sheffield United were placed under a transfer embargo which blunted the Blades plans to bring in new players. Burnley have opened a 7 point lead over Sheffield United and are probably now favourites to win the Championship. The performance at Carrow Road indicates neither VK or his team are likely to slacken off in the run in. Can we look to a good FA Cup run as well?
    The size and quality of this current Burnley squad suggests we can win the league comfortably and with Ipswich then possibly the Owls at home in the FA Cup a quarter final place beckons.

I still think we could get a bit derailed if Cork, Cullen and Brownhill go AWOL simultaneously but on yesterday's showing the VK show will just roll on regardless.

I'm always sceptical about "miracles" but I appear to be witnessing one just now. UTC#

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)