+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s changed Tony’s outlook.

[QUOTE=Brin;40207573]
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post

And there you have it from the mouth of Warne himself.

"But if those eight or nine decide they don't like what they're seeing they can infiltrate the group and it's not easy. Football management and the match days is the easiest bit, funnily enough. It's managing the personalities and the egos throughout the week which is the challenge””

So he never had a large squad because he was scared of the non players upsetting the rest of the team. What a strange set up indeed. Imagine if we had a larger squad, would we have ever seen relegation on a regular basis?

I suppose it’s each to their own ideas and that’s how he wanted to run it.

It certainly took me back to our 2021 drop and the massive compression of fixtures with no relief for the players.

[QUOTE=Brin;40207573]
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post

And there you have it from the mouth of Warne himself.

"But if those eight or nine decide they don't like what they're seeing they can infiltrate the group and it's not easy. Football management and the match days is the easiest bit, funnily enough. It's managing the personalities and the egos throughout the week which is the challenge””

So he never had a large squad because he was scared of the non players upsetting the rest of the team. What a strange set up indeed. Imagine if we had a larger squad, would we have ever seen relegation on a regular basis?

I suppose it’s each to their own ideas and that’s how he wanted to run it.
    I read that article the other day and thought if I were a Derby fan would I be impressed or deflated by it? The idea of 'bad apples' infiltrating a squad and upsetting the harmony as a whole is not new to football. Warne is not a revolutionary by claiming this,it's been going on for decades. Small,close squads are great as long as you don't have any injuries which we were very fortunate not to have last season and was the major factor we got promoted after nearly throwing a 12 point lead away. But this still doesn't answer why we seem to have shifted policy this transfer window because if Warne did want a small squad then why didn't we sign even better quality players than we have this month.If the pie is still the same size ,surely a smaller squad member would have equated to a bigger piece!

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I don't know any of the family either but I do know someone who attends the meetings at the club and he says TS is extremely autocratic in the way he runs things.
    I would agree with that.
    He's also successful in business, he won't have become successful in business by constantly making the wrong decision time after time after time.
    He could have refused Barnsley permission to talk to Mark Robins and didn't.
    Same could well be said about the last manager as well.
    He comes across as saying if you don't want to be at RUFC then go elsewhere.
    Appears to be someone that won't stand in people's way if they want to move on.
    Kept a dignified silence when some wanted him out recently.
    Already been mentioned on here - pride - ego may come into it.

It would be great if the floating fans would now repay Tony by attending in larger numbers
    10.5 / 11k home fans until the end of the season would help particularly when there isn't a large away following such as QPR and Cardiff
    Every match should be sold out

Why has TS changed his tune?
    Another quote from Warne last week;
    ''........I don't like the January window.It is literally there for mistakes that have been made in the previous Summer because that's really what you are doing which is trying to correct what went wrong''.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Badfellow View Post
    Why has TS changed his tune?
    Another quote from Warne last week;
    ''........I don't like the January window.It is literally there for mistakes that have been made in the previous Summer because that's really what you are doing which is trying to correct what went wrong''.

Looks a few were made here this summer then

I posted about this yesturday in the deadline day thread(post#18) but the post and link to the website was obviously lost in the excitement of the brilliant signings we made.
    Last edited by Adventus2012; 01-02-2023 at 04:04 PM.

None of us really know.
    Warner did what he did and how he wanted to operate.
    MT will do it is way time will tell but imo he will go on to be a very good manager.

This thread is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    This thread is funny.
    Well I guess a sense of humour is all about self perception. For example, I'm not a Peter Kay fan but millions of people are.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast