+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How the game has changed, wow

How the game has changed, wow

Fast Forward this to 20 mins 18 seconds, and watch the penalty decision lol https://youtu.be/1ne-LPH1RMo

The commentator says "Nichol has brought down Jodan", "and that's what Brought about the penalty, bringing him down"

He got elbowed in the god damn head off Jordan and collapsed.

How the game has changed.

I remember a brief period when there was a focus on “simulation” or as other people call it - cheating. That died a death.

I dislike the phrase “he won the team a penalty”. It can mean that the player was brought down due to skill on the ball - a genuine foul. Too often it condones cheating. It is the same with players rolling around in supposed agony after the merest touch.

Admittedly, refs are allowing more physical contact, but there are too many instances of players trying to con referees by their antics.

Needless to say, managers condemn it when it is the opposition doing but condone their own players doing the same.

VAR was supposed to help sort this, it has does nothing of the sort.

Ok but I don't think neither of you watched the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Untinted Glasses View Post
    Fast Forward this to 20 mins 18 seconds, and watch the penalty decision lol https://youtu.be/1ne-LPH1RMo

The commentator says "Nichol has brought down Jodan", "and that's what Brought about the penalty, bringing him down"

He got elbowed in the god damn head off Jordan and collapsed.

How the game has changed.
    You'd think VAR would have sent the ref to the TV and Jordan would have got a yellow at least, I'm not sure the game's changed that much UG, there are still plenty of 'stray' elbows flying around nowadays.

Just talking of Leeds, I watched their game at Stanley last week, inside two minutes their full backed hacked down a Stanley player on the touchline, it was so blatant that the Leeds player immediately held his hand up to the ref in apology, he knew it was a potential yellow card, even so early in the game. The ref gave them a throw-in, the Stanley player, dumped on the seat of his pants, looked up at the liner, who was only six feet away, he ignored him and Leeds took their throw in.

Some things, especially Leeds, refs and liners, never change.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    You'd think VAR would have sent the ref to the TV and Jordan would have got a yellow at least, I'm not sure the game's changed that much UG, there are still plenty of 'stray' elbows flying around nowadays.
    I mean the acceptance of it. Not 1 man united player complained. The commentators didn't blink eye. It was as though it was just normal.

I mean the acceptance of it. Not 1 man united player complained. The commentators didn't blink eye. It was as though it was just normal.
    It all happened so quick, I'm not sure comms would have seen the elbow. if he was looking at the ball and the tackle, as the ref probably was, it would have been easy to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    It all happened so quick, I'm not sure comms would have seen the elbow. if he was looking at the ball and the tackle, as the ref probably was, it would have been easy to miss.
    The man united player elbowed would have known he got elbowed. The man united players knew he got elbowed. No complaints. The ref may have missed it. The commentators watched it in slow mo and said at the time of the elbow " yes that's what brought about the penalty "
    There was no diving around and rolling around , surrounding the ref, managers flying out. So different IMO.

The man united player elbowed would have known he got elbowed. The man united players knew he got elbowed. No complaints. The ref may have missed it. The commentators watched it in slow mo and said at the time of the elbow " yes that's what brought about the penalty "
    There was no diving around and rolling around , surrounding the ref, managers flying out. So different IMO.
    Fair enough UG, in that respect it is different.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)