+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: League 2 this season?

League 2 this season?

The question is...

How do you think the current Notts and Wrexham teams would be doing, if they were playing in L2 this season?

I'm tempted to say they'd be 2 of the best 3 teams, then you have to remember that Stockport sit in 7th, Grimsby 16th...

I think we would be comfortably in the top half, whilst I would expect Wrexham to be in the top 4. The only thing that would be holding us back are the stupid mistakes we make, which would be punished more in League 2. That being said, I think both sides would look quite different next season if we do go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex_Southwell_Magpie View Post
    I think we would be comfortably in the top half, whilst I would expect Wrexham to be in the top 4. The only thing that would be holding us back are the stupid mistakes we make, which would be punished more in League 2. That being said, I think both sides would look quite different next season if we do go up.
    That's very interesting and something that none of us would ever know but I'm not sure I agree with you Ex Southwell Magpie as we are going neck and neck with Wrexham but they would be a lot higher than us in a supposedly better footballing league ?
    Do Wrexham not make stupid mistakes or are they not as good as us is that why we are neck and neck in this league but they would be comfortably above us in a better league, surely teams wouldn't put 10 players behind the ball which would allow us to play our passing game more freely ?
    I think the owners blueprint is that if we get promoted we can carry on playing in the same style as we do now and will probably be easier the higher up we go(albeit we will have to get a few better and more technical players)
    As regards next season if we went up who would we need to replace ? I think we would have to add 2-3 quality players to the squad but have more chance of keeping Rodrigues and Langstaff if we are in Division 2 whereas if we stay in the NL I would think the squad would look quite different to this season.

Wrexham and Notts' PPG compared to previous tier 5 season's promotion winners would suggest we'd do better than the vast majority of clubs that have gone up from tier 5, but as we found in 1998 under Allardyce, running away with the title and securing promotion in March isn't necessarily a prelude to a successful campaign at a higher level. We looked a sound bet for an immediate relegation back down again for much of that season.

That's football for you.

We lost to Coalville and Dorking ffs. We have a long long way to go and like the man said, a team can look wholly different one season from another.

Hmm interesting.

I think Wrexham are probably a better team than Stockport were last season, so I reckon they'd be challenging somewhere in the playoff spots. We'd be doing similar to Stockport - a slow start as we acclimatise, but making steady progress through midtable.

Both Wrexham and Notts are better teams than Grimsby were last season. They had an amazing run during the playoffs and got over the line through sheer battling spirit, but they were miles off the pace in terms of automatic promotion.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 07-02-2023 at 02:49 PM.

With FFP in the EFL I can see Wrexham having to tighten their belts a little. Yes they have some large sponsorship deals but even they have to be realistic in order to pass the rules I believe, you can't sponsor them for £50m lets say.
    Their current style of play is very L2 with plenty on hoof it up field, long throws and pour power over skill so I'd expect them to do OK, top half maybe. How will the yanks feel about another series of Welcome To Wrexham if they're a mid to lower team??

I'd expect us to be pushing for a play off place with a small tweak of our playing staff to be honest.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 07-02-2023 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Whenever this question arises I always think we under estimate League Two. I can’t imagine us struggling in that division but I think we’d be around mid table, not near the playoffs….unless some quality was brought in.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    How will the yanks feel about another series of Welcome To Wrexham if they're a mid to lower team??
    That's an interesting question. It's difficult to push for promotion after promotion, but after the rollercoaster ride of this season and last, I can't imagine all the armchair fans over in LA or wherever will be up for watching them grind out a midtable finish. The whole story relies on momentum. Lose it, and they're just another lower-league club having an unspectacular season.

I wonder what the plan is for the documentary if progress stalls significantly for a number of years. Keep churning out episodes and hope for the best, or pack it in and move onto another 'story'? It feels like they could easily be left high and dry, but at the same time, with Reynolds and the other one being so high-profile, I doubt they'd want the negative PR of leaving a club in the ****.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Whenever this question arises I always think we under estimate League Two. I can’t imagine us struggling in that division but I think we’d be around mid table, not near the playoffs….unless some quality was brought in.
    I think Division 2 is better than the National League .. but not significally.
    For instance Kyle Wootton was deemed on here by a lot of people not good enough for us, he has scored 9 goals in 28 appearances for Stockport(1 in 3) the leagues player of the month in December and goalscoring isn't necessarily his best attribute
    Kristian Dennis has also scored 17-18 goals and struggled to get in the Notts side and doesn't play every game for Carlisle.
    I think the majority of the Notts side would comfortably step up and how many goals would Macca be on ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast