+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to go Hammell

Time to go Hammell

I’m sorry to say it as he’s a club legend but he is hopelessly out of his depth here and he isn’t going to turn this around.

Todays lineup was ridiculous. SO’D starting today after his performance and attitude the other night was crazy and impossible to justify. No McKinstry, Crankshaw or Tierney in the starting lineup and Goss still getting a start.

We have been duly scudded and only Dundee Utd and Ross County losing as things stand keeps us in with a glimmer of hope but the die is cast for us, relegation is coming.

I hate to agree, but it's time.

McKinstry and Crankshaw are not that good, certainly not good enough to rule out a change to 3-5-2 when 4-3-3 has proven to be a debacle. The subs had virtually no impact on the balance of the game.

But that minor point aside, agree completely that he needs to salvage his dignity and relationship with the club while he still can and give us an outside chance of survival at the same time. We're the only side of the five in bother not to have produced at least a good performance in the last two games.

I'm less bothered about picking on individual performances (not least because they were, to a man, miserable - Obika was probably our 'best' player despite his current, ahem, 'stature') but there was no reaction to Wednesday and but for two bits of luck with VAR, that would have been 4-0 and a much fairer reflection of the game.

I do fear though he'll point to the two new signings and try to cling on but timing wise it has to be now. It gives Kettlewell a week and a half as interim to prepare for a winnable game v St Mirren and lets us get the new man in for the do-or-die double-header at the end of the month. So the board need to have a chat over Sunday brunch and then on Monday let Hammell know his options for how he steps down.

I think he will walk within the next week and I will be surprised if he is in charge at Starks Park next Saturday.

I agree though that Kettlewell will get the nod when SH goes, as that would be the easy, obvious and cheap choice for us. If not him then Davie Clarkson.

QUESTION !?
    With Clarkson now in post at Hammy’s old Head of Academy role, and the fact we’re still paying of Alexander and his cronies … where’s the money coming from for Hammy’s payout, PLUS another salary for a new gaffer?

Kettlewell has been a top-flight manager before and is untainted by the current first team debacle, he's the only choice for caretaker never mind easy, obvious and cheap.

This is definitely the worse Motherwell group of players( I use the term loosely) I have ever had the misfortune to observe. I have followed “The WELL” for just over 55 years. I have seen some poor WELL teams but this lot takes the biscuit. They have no heart, commitment, hunger, ability and more importantly total lack an acceptable level of fitness. I feel really sorry and disappointed for Hammell for the total shower of dross he has inherited but that doesn’t excuse his total lack of tactical knowledge. There is a group of players within the squad who quite obviously dont give a friar tuck about the club, manager or fans and are only here to collect their wages. If Hammell is left in place we have to either acknowledge that we are getting relegated and start preparing for next season now or we have to identify the players who are willing to give their all for the manager and club and persist in playing them week on week for the remainder of the season. Hammell could do a lot worse than call upon Stephen Craigan to help him with sorting out the defence tactically.

Or … Crags could certainly train them how to score many spectacular OG’s 👌

We're in free fall. I honestly can't see that being stopped with this group of players regardless who is the Manager whatever we do it's looks like it's too little too late. Another 5hit Saturday night ☹️. Still at least we retained the Calcutta Cup 🏉

Goals lost against St J - 1)left back missing, acres of space for shot, then 2) a ball through the middle of the defence. Goals lost against Dons - 1) left back allows cross, then free header, plus 2&3) again, two balls played through the middle of the defence. By the way, please ditch the neon kit - if we're going to lose, at least do it with some claret & amber.

Thanks Skippy for the reminder of the result from Twickenham, plus the fact it's my 40th Anniversary today, so a couple of nicer things to take my mind off Fir Park. The champagne is in the fridge!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)