+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Erik Pieters

Erik Pieters

Shout out for this guy who has been a revelation in central defence since CC arrived. Must admit I thought he was another one of those past-it players … like Ivanovic, Kelly etc … legs well gone, no pace, last pay check. Used to rate him when he played for Stoke … a very solid full back but at 34 y/o I thought well over the hill. But how wrong I was - alongside O’Shea and having Yokuzlu in front of the back four this guy has been great. Six clean sheets at home say it all … and if I am not wrong he didn’t play at Bristol City in the FA Cup debacle.

Well done Erik …. you still have what it takes.

You’re only as old as you feel. Erik has been solid. A mixture of youth and experience is good especially if the older guys are fit and the younger guys aren’t stupid. (IE: can see a pass)

Always a very good player at Stoke.

33-37 isn’t the end of life for a quality centre back, look at GMac.

I too was worried when he was drafted in at CB but he has indeed, been excellent alongside O’Shea. Good on ya, Erik.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    You’re only as old as you feel. Erik has been solid. A mixture of youth and experience is good especially if the older guys are fit and the younger guys aren’t stupid. (IE: can see a pass)
    Hey boingy, Craig Dawson (a player you know extremely well) made his debut for us yesterday. He scored and was immense at the back.

He's 33 this year but you cannot beat experience with centre halves. Good central defenders who can read the game well can last to mid thirties easily.

Pieters has done really well and having a left footed centre half has rally helped with the balance of the back 4, with Bartley nearing fitness it will be interesting to see what Corberan decides to do we do miss Bartley's physical presence but i'm not sure i would change anything just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sausagenegg View Post
    Hey boingy, Craig Dawson (a player you know extremely well) made his debut for us yesterday. He scored and was immense at the back.

He's 33 this year but you cannot beat experience with centre halves. Good central defenders who can read the game well can last to mid thirties easily.
    A decent centre back sausage,
    Will always come up with a goal or 2 but also carry a mistake or 2 & will cost you a couple of games a season ,

Quote Originally Posted by sausagenegg View Post

Good player. Why should age have anything to do with it if you are still good enough? 33 is nothing really.

Other than getting caught out a couple of times he's doing very well for a left back who only played one competitive fixture at centre half before joining us. Well done chap 😎 .

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)