+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the championship really the 4th best league in the world

Is the championship really the 4th best league in the world

I recall a few seasons ago someone (don't recal who) discribed the championship as the 4th best league in the world.
    A big tag for a league, especially one we (Rufc) are competing in.
    This season I've heard several fans at games and on forum's (not just MM) saying the championship is not very competitive this season.
    I find it hard to believe that the playing std has declined that much to suggest the league is not as good.
    Is this the case or are the teams more closely matched ?
    Could it be the rules that EFL implies, fair play rules,. Points reductions, transfer embargo ect that has balanced the league so the high spending teams can't just keep spending.

Could it be an effect of covid/cost of living that has made chairman spend less.

What the general thoughts

Don’t know if it’s 4th best but it’s still my favourite league and always has been. It’s had its up and downs over the years but generally it’s full of good football annd decent clubs and the last day always produces some major cliffhangers. It’s where we belong. .

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Don’t know if it’s 4th best but it’s still my favourite league and always has been. It’s had its up and downs over the years but generally it’s full of good football annd decent clubs and the last day always produces some major cliffhangers. It’s where we belong. .
    Yes, I agree

At one time it was the 4th most watched league in Europe on telly.

It is my favourite too. Where else could we smash 4 past ex premier league champions or have former European champions in the league below fighting each other for a place here?

If Leeds and Everton come down they won’t have it their own way.
    Last edited by Scum-Triumphant; 05-02-2023 at 05:04 PM.

I'm not sure in what context 'best' is being used? Best in terms of quality, revenue, silly wages, crowds, competitiveness...? I'd say it might be 4th in the latter 4 of those but would probably just be in the top 10 with respect to quality.

How strong the division is has always depended on where the Millers were in the league when Paul Warne was the manager. If the Millers were doing well it was because it's a poor league. If the Millers were doing badly it was because Paul Warne was too nice in his approach to management. Apparently a 21st century manager should be screaming, shouting and ranting from the touchline and smashing the dressing room up at half time. As well as being five stones overweight.

I thought it had been labelled the 5th best behind, in no particular order, these leagues

Prem England
    serie A Italy
    Bundesliga Germany
    la liga Spain

Guess it's how you define best.
    Read this recently
    The Championship is the wealthiest non-top flight football league in the world and the ninth richest league in Europe.

It's the most unfair league in the world I'll say that .

It’s become a bit of a yo yo league same teams go up & come down,same teams go down & come up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast