+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 4 finish?

Top 4 finish?

Do you think we'll finish top 4?

With our drop in form and Spurs picking up wins, i'm less confident of a top 4 finish now.

Arsenal, City and Manu all out of our reach.

On the plus side, I think Liverpool and City's dominance is over. I can see us, Manu and Chelsea becoming the top teams over the next decade. Although we are a couple years away from challenging for titles.

City have peaked under Pep, and although i don't see them collapsing like Liverpool, they won't likely get back to their old, dominant, ways.

I predict a top 6 as follows:

1. Manu
    2. Arsenal
    3. City
    4. Spurs
    5. Newcastle
    6. Brighton

Hope I am wrong as I cannot stand Manu, but Arsenal will likely bottle it again imo.

5th is still awesome. I had expectations of 8th going into the season, with top 6 a bonus.

I'm also much less confident.

We've done great and I wouldn't change our season thus far but I think that our draws, not wins will cost us.

However, the fact we're even talking will we/won't we finish top 4 is amazing.

I'm certainly not confident but, also, not hugely worried.

We're way ahead of schedule but this has given us a glimpse of what's to come. Granted, expectations change but our recent results have definitely tempered those raised (in some quarters) expectations to a more realistic level that befits the limitations of our squad.

Being unbeaten is amazing but 4 draws in the last 5 has made folk think 'maybe we got a bit ahead of ourselves'.

Obviously after where we've been, it would be silly to pretend not to be disappointed to drop out of the top 4 but, as you say, this season top 6 woulld be a bonus and I think that's the aim.

Quote Originally Posted by GBruno View Post

With our drop in form and Spurs picking up wins, i'm less confident of a top 4 finish now.

On the plus side, I think Liverpool and City's dominance is over. I can see us, Manu and Chelsea becoming the top teams over the next decade. Although we are a couple years away from challenging for titles.

City have peaked under Pep, and although i don't see them collapsing like Liverpool, they won't likely get back to their old, dominant, ways.

1. Manu
    2. Arsenal
    3. City
    4. Spurs
    5. Newcastle
    6. Brighton

Hope I am wrong as I cannot stand Manu, but Arsenal will likely bottle it again imo.

5th is still awesome. I had expectations of 8th going into the season, with top 6 a bonus.
    1. Arsenal
    2. Man City
    3. Man U
    4. Spurs
    5. Newcastle
    6. Brighton

It all comes down to the fact that we have a starting eleven as good as any. It's just the back up on the bench needs a change as quick as can be sorted.

I reckon there are others who will lapse and I think we could finish any where between 4th and 6th.

If that had been on offer before the season began I think we all would have been walking on a cloud.

I think we should all be very grateful that we've come so far so quickly and that the building is going to go on and on with quality signings now easier to be made than before as they understand the direction we are in.

It’s been a poor weekend for us regarding results but this can all change in the space of a week. Plenty twists and turns to come yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GBruno View Post

1. Manu
    2. Arsenal
    3. City
    4. Spurs
    5. Newcastle
    6. Brighton

Man un-unuited out of reach? We are level on games abd 2 points back WITH A +14 BETTER GOAL DIFFERENCE????

This is the mentality of losers!

If we turn up at Wembley as a fan base like this it will bleed into the squad on the pitch.

The psychology of winning is about confidence and 'f**k you attitude' that Man un-united fans for example have always had.

Get grip lads it's an underwhelming draw for sure but we didn't lose! We have lost only once all season undefeated in 16.

Have a walk around the block and come back in with a smile on your lips and a determination in your eyes lads n lasses ffs we are far from hopeless.

This ain't the past this is the future and the future of NUFC IS THAT OF WINNERS!

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    It’s been a poor weekend for us regarding results but this can all change in the space of a week. Plenty twists and turns to come yet.
    Poor week? Qualifying for thr first final since 1999. Oh yeah terrible.

What is wrong with you lot seriously??? What has happened to the 'we don't expect a team that wins just a team that tries?'

Give ya heeds a wobble and howay! Wake up and start ya day with 'we are gonna win the cup, we are gonna take 3 points at Bournemouth!'

All great champions tell themselves they are champions. Usain Bolt did get up in the morning and say to himself 'oooooo maybe I'll be faster than them lads.... ooooo I stubbed me toe so I dunno if I can run my fastest!'

Howay now positive faces & voices!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post
    Poor week? Qualifying for thr first final since 1999. Oh yeah terrible.

What is wrong with you lot seriously??? What has happened to the 'we don't expect a team that wins just a team that tries?'

Give ya heeds a wobble and howay! Wake up and start ya day with 'we are gonna win the cup, we are gonna take 3 points at Bournemouth!'

All great champions tell themselves they are champions. Usain Bolt did get up in the morning and say to himself 'oooooo maybe I'll be faster than them lads.... ooooo I stubbed me toe so I dunno if I can run my fastest!'

Howay now positive faces & voices!
    Try reading posts properly before starting your rant - the league cup semi was not at the weekend. My post was saying not to be too down hearted after some disappointing results at the weekend.

No-one is happier with our season than me and I’m fully aware how far ahead of where, even the most wildly optimistic, thought we’d be a year ago. City must be kicking themselves that they didn’t take the opportunity to close the gap on Arsenal after their loss.

With Isak Back and Gordon hopefully starting against Bournemouth its the perfect chance to get back on track with 3 points, we are still ahead of spuds and a game in hand so all is still looking good for us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)