+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Up from the NL?

Three Up from the NL?

Very interesting article in today’s Guardian, by Jason Stockwood chair of Grimsby.
    He states the bleedin’ obvious, that the current two up from the NL is an obvious nonsense and should be amended.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...e_iOSApp_Other

Doesn’t mean it’s going to happen, though!

If ever a National League season demonstrated the unfairness of the current format it's this one. We could conceivably finish with one defeat, 100 points, most goals scored in the top seven divisions and fail to get promotion. That would surely be the catalyst for change.

I heard a so called pundit the other day (can't remember his name) who said that the National League was a very poor standard this year as demonstrated by 3 teams running away with it. He should have said that they are 3 very good teams.

He's an idiot then, you could say the same about the Premier League most seasons, or even the Champions League

Whether or not the idea has merit depends on how well or how badly the clubs who have gone up from the NL via the play offs are doing in L2 and whether or not it's the same few established EFL clubs battling to stay up by the skin of their teeth, season in season out.

Grimsby are currently 16th and then you've got Hartlepool and Harrogate both struggling.
    As far as I can recall, neither Rochdale or Gillingham have been in a serious battle with the drop in recent times until this season.

I'd like to see an increase for obvious reasons, but from a neutral point of view it's not exactly a compelling argument.

Quote Originally Posted by dobbsad View Post
    Very interesting article in today’s Guardian, by Jason Stockwood chair of Grimsby.
    He states the bleedin’ obvious, that the current two up from the NL is an obvious nonsense and should be amended.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...e_iOSApp_Other

Doesn’t mean it’s going to happen, though!
    It will not happen...EFL clubs will not vote for it.. Its like a Turkey voting for xmas.

I think it will pass as Championship and most league 1 clubs will vote for it. Plus if you were a club threatened with the drop, at least you will have an easier route back into the league in future.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Whether or not the idea has merit depends on how well or how badly the clubs who have gone up from the NL via the play offs are doing in L2 and whether or not it's the same few established EFL clubs battling to stay up by the skin of their teeth, season in season out.

Grimsby are currently 16th and then you've got Hartlepool and Harrogate both struggling.
    As far as I can recall, neither Rochdale or Gillingham have been in a serious battle with the drop in recent times until this season.

I'd like to see an increase for obvious reasons, but from a neutral point of view it's not exactly a compelling argument.
    Again, you could use exactly the same argument to limit promotion to the Premier League, and probably between any other of the divisions. Getting promotion always means competing at a higher level and few clubs take a higher level by storm

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    Again, you could use exactly the same argument to limit promotion to the Premier League, and probably between any other of the divisions. Getting promotion always means competing at a higher level and few clubs take a higher level by storm
    You could make that argument, but nobody does because we've had three up-three down at higher levels since 1973/74 and there's never going to be much of an appetite to change back to an old system that doesn't offer any obvious benefits.

Between tier 4 and non-league since 1973 we've gone from a re-election process to one up-one down automatically (together with a stadium requirement rule that prevented numerous clubs from being promoted or relegated) to two up-two down and also a change in the structure of the play offs at 5th tier level.

Additionally, it's the same two-up and play off system in tier 6 North and tier 6 South and maybe the same in some leagues lower down. They won't be able to increase without relegating six clubs, which would be ridiculous.

Great if 3 up-3 down happens, but removing my Notts scarf for a moment, I can see why this idea has been rejected over and over again and will probably continue to be so.

As he says, no discernible reason why there’s 4 up from League 2 and only 2 down. And 3 up from the Championship into a 20 team league.

I think we all know as Notts fans that 3 up will be introduced the season after we get promoted!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast