+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can’t find the thread

Can’t find the thread

But someone was talking about using colours for days of the week etc
    Anyway, found this interesting.

“What Is Synesthesia? Synesthesia is when you hear music, but you see shapes. Or you hear a word or a name and instantly see a color. Synesthesia is a fancy name for when you experience one of your senses through another. For example, you might hear the name "Alex" and see green.”

Thanks Phil.

By pure coincidence my lads had his home tutor today for his media studies/language A level and one of the areas covered was colours and language. Although we commonly think in the West of the basic range of colours being the 7 colours of the rainbow, anthropological studies in the late 60s found that many cultures simply do not/did not have proper names for most colours. This did not make them less educated or developed by any means but they simply used different words. Some tribes that lived in jungles for example had no word for the colour "green" simply because they were surrounded by so many variations of it and their language expressed this-, a bit like the Greenlanders who have several words for the different type of snow. Most Europeans had no proper name for Orange even though it might appear in paintings or clothing and it was mostly referred to as a degree of red (hence robins are said to have red breasts when they are, in fact orange). It wasn't until oranges became more common from Spain that the name of the fruit also became the name of the colour.

Results showed that the commonality of all cultures studied was that there was a kind of priority in identifying and naming colours in their languages. First came black and white and then third was "red", probably because red is the warning colour throughout much of nature. Next came green and yellow but several cultures had no proper word for the colour blue despite the fact that all had the sky above them.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    By pure coincidence my lads had his home tutor today for his media studies/language A level and one of the areas covered was colours and language. Although we commonly think in the West of the basic range of colours being the 7 colours of the rainbow, anthropological studies in the late 60s found that many cultures simply do not/did not have proper names for most colours. This did not make them less educated or developed by any means but they simply used different words. Some tribes that lived in jungles for example had no word for the colour "green" simply because they were surrounded by so many variations of it and their language expressed this-, a bit like the Greenlanders who have several words for the different type of snow. Most Europeans had no proper name for Orange even though it might appear in paintings or clothing and it was mostly referred to as a degree of red (hence robins are said to have red breasts when they are, in fact orange). It wasn't until oranges became more common from Spain that the name of the fruit also became the name of the colour.

Results showed that the commonality of all cultures studied was that there was a kind of priority in identifying and naming colours in their languages. First came black and white and then third was "red", probably because red is the warning colour throughout much of nature. Next came green and yellow but several cultures had no proper word for the colour blue despite the fact that all had the sky above them.
    Fascinating program 'Do You See What I See?' Horizon, BBC2 a few years ago, explored this. Used it many times in my Colour Theory discussions

I don't think of people in colours by their names, just days of the week and I have done that as far back as I can remember, and the colours have never changed.
    I never knew what it was called.
    I also have a problem recognising people even relatives, some people think I am offish but that's just because I don't recognise them. Sometimes I have spoken to strangers who I thought was someone I know, so I don't bother much now.
    Hopeless with films, I know Clint, John Wayne, Steven Seagal and that's about it.
    War films, as soon as they put on their helmets I'm f ucked, I have to ask my wife who has been shot.
    I prefer westerns were they all have different colour hats and hosses and the bad guy always has a suit and moustache.

I thought that the bad guys in Westerns usually wore feathers on their heads and had warpaint on their faces? Well, that was really all back to front, wasn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by Titchfieldbaggie View Post
    Fascinating program 'Do You See What I See?' Horizon, BBC2 a few years ago, explored this. Used it many times in my Colour Theory discussions
    Thanks, I'll try and see if I can find this. Only thing I recall doing on colours was a bit on Johannes Itten's colour wheel but the whole topic about how we "see" colours, how we use language to communicate about them, colour psychology etc I find really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    I don't think of people in colours by their names, just days of the week and I have done that as far back as I can remember, and the colours have never changed.
    I never knew what it was called.
    I also have a problem recognising people even relatives, some people think I am offish but that's just because I don't recognise them. Sometimes I have spoken to strangers who I thought was someone I know, so I don't bother much now.
    Hopeless with films, I know Clint, John Wayne, Steven Seagal and that's about it.
    War films, as soon as they put on their helmets I'm f ucked, I have to ask my wife who has been shot.
    I prefer westerns were they all have different colour hats and hosses and the bad guy always has a suit and moustache.
    It was you I was thinking of 55. There’s nothing wrong with having a creative approach to remembering things. The trouble with school curriculums is that they have a rigid path. Most exams are just memory tests. People with a photographic memory are then top of the class. If you had to just think on your feet and work something out on your own a lot of those with photographic memories might then be seen to be clueless. Intelligence is measured in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    I thought that the bad guys in Westerns usually wore feathers on their heads and had warpaint on their faces? Well, that was really all back to front, wasn’t it?
    The Indians were always the bad guy's in the early westerns, then from the seventies they were the good guys and the whites were the bad guy's. It's not as red and white as that. Read Empire of the Summer Moon or A Fate Worse Than Death or A Slave of the Sioux. The atrocities carried out by the Indians made me hate them just reading it. Babies, men and young children were killed on the spot, usually in a cruel way in front of the mother's and wives. The women were repeatedly raped then either killed or sent to a camp where they became slaves and were beaten by the Indian women. Some young boys were assimilated into the tribe to become warriors.
    You can see why the early settlers hated them and wanted to exterminate the them all.
    But the Indians were warrior men who were defending their homeland and they treated the enemies of the tribe, other Indians the same.
    I have also read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee and The Earth is Weeping that gives the native American view.
    Always best to see two sides, that was what my parents taught me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)