+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hartlepool

2 (Two) up at HT, - that's messed up my prediction

Excellent win tonight - 3 much-needed points

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    Excellent win tonight - 3 much-needed points
    Absolutely agree. The fact remains, it should have been a bigger margin of victory although I fully understand taking of Players like Ainley and Agyei as we have games coming up that we need them for and don;t want them risking injury playing when the game is effectively won.
    I am concerned about the tendency for the back 3/4/5 to be passing the ball back and forth between themselves when players like Tabs and Adebisi are in acres of space waiting for the ball. Tonight we were guilty of not getting the ball forward quickly enough and players like Thomas are getting the flack for getting the pass when there is little or no outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Absolutely agree. The fact remains, it should have been a bigger margin of victory although I fully understand taking of Players like Ainley and Agyei as we have games coming up that we need them for and don;t want them risking injury playing when the game is effectively won.
    I am concerned about the tendency for the back 3/4/5 to be passing the ball back and forth between themselves when players like Tabs and Adebisi are in acres of space waiting for the ball. Tonight we were guilty of not getting the ball forward quickly enough and players like Thomas are getting the flack for getting the pass when there is little or no outlet.
    I thought it was a good job they were down to 10 men early on. Admittedly, we might have had more urgency 11 v 11, but overall I thought we were pedestrian.
    I hate not leaving a man (or 2) on the halfway line for their corners. But, 2 nil up against 10 men and we still bring everyone back.
    Don’t get me started on Sambou!

Even by his standards Sambou had a shocker tonight. Still, why Bell didn't give Holicek a chance, I don't know. If he's not going to play him in a situation like that then why bother putting him on the bench. I'm not suggesting that Holicek will necessarily set off the fireworks but surely his contribution would be better than Sambou's.
    I know we were only played 10 men but I couldn't understand the 2nd half. The first half we played intelligently moving the ball quickly and using the width of the whole pitch and moving the opposition about. So why did we not do it in the second? We didn't always have someone wide on the right but Adebisi seemed to have a lot of space but was rarely given the ball. It was also too slow and the problem with that is that the Alex always find it hard to go back up a gear and that's when we usually get caught out. Fortunately tonight the opposition weren't anywhere good enough to take advantage.
    I suppose I should be happy with 3 more points towards safety. However, a couple of more goals would have made such a difference. Those goals may be important at the end of the season and more importantly, think of the morale boost they could have had with a 'big' win. Finally, in front of such a small crowd they needed to give the long-suffering home fans a reason to turn up against Rochdale (who now look certs to go down) Saturday week.
    Special mentions to Finnegan (again!), Rio (surprised he still got 2 legs to stand after the way he was assaulted by the opposition) and Tabiner (someone with skill!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Yes, its the old record playing still the same tune!

The main problem with an academy is what do they do there for 5 days a week? I mean ALL they can do is to PASS the ball to each other and you have said that again...In the old days, professional footballers came together to get fit and be fit and were never told how to play as they were signed in the positions they were to play the game and now we have three and more managers shouting to players to do this and that...Its actually why the PL rarely sign academy players and are prepared to pay many millions for seasoned Pro's. ie until we can rid ourselves of a stupid system that rarely produces players even at the bottom league standard and paying over a million pounds a season to have kids managers trying to tell kids and youths and adult players how to play this very simple game, we are doomed to mediocrity...

Yes, its an old record, but it was and is always true no matter how many times you play it.

Its no good keep saying how bad we are, please explain what you need to do about it!

My interpretation of the 2nd half is that it was an exercise in continued preparation for Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday football with half the team out injured or suspended. The absence of Long, CBR, Amoo, Mellor and Robertson means we are still down to the bare bones and we really need to protect the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    My interpretation of the 2nd half is that it was an exercise in continued preparation for Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday football with half the team out injured or suspended. The absence of Long, CBR, Amoo, Mellor and Robertson means we are still down to the bare bones and we really need to protect the rest.
    That is a very good point. Worth remembering that with the two long term strikers out for as long as they have been it is little wonder we have not managed to score too many goals. Add to that Ainley's absence for however long it was, it really cant help the situation.
    Like many, I look forward to seeing Holicek in action having heard good things about him but the worst thing that can happen is for him to play, and struggle in a struggling team and lose confidence before he has got going. Tabs is a classic example of how well we do things with the younger players. He came into the team for a dozen or so matches plus some appearances from the bench and then seemed to disappear for a while having had a few disappointing games. He was back in the starting line up last night, out of position, and played very well. I expect to see more of him between now and the end of the season but not every week. But next season should expect to be a regular starter.

Fair point!

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    Yep - 100%.

Lee Bell doing a good job at the moment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12