+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Superleague - Would you still follow Newcastle?

Superleague - Would you still follow Newcastle?

Whilst I am very much pro free markets and believe the clubs should have the choice to join such a thing, I really hope it doesn't happen. It will ruin football as we know it.

However, the way i see it, this will only ruin football in our country if the fans go along with it. Yes it may mean changing your team, which seems unthinkable, but football will only die with the superleague if fans let it.

So just curious, for those against a European super league (and i assume that's most of us), would you stop following or supporting Newcastle if they joined?

Perhaps you would support one of the smaller local teams, or maybe a new, possibly fan owned, Newcastle team would spring into existence.

I would certainly follow the Toon if they did the unthinkable but at the same time I would miss them being in the Prem.

Having said that I still follow all of the smaller local clubs, apart from the Muckem.

I still can't see the powers that be allowing English teams to do it all the same. The league wouldn't be the same without the top teams.

Going from a competition set up by UEFA, to a competition founded by
    Goldman Sachs bank. They are both as corrupt as each other.

It's a very good question.

i probably would, certainly to start with. And by that, I mean maybe the club would start to feel less like 'our' club as we get more and more 'tourist' fans and players who are only here for their own profile and pocket.We're a rich club, but we're not a ruch city and a lot of our fanbase would find it hard if not impossible to follow the team home and away when 'away' isn't getting up at 4 in the morning to drive South or whatever, but a flight to Germany, Spain, France or Italy.

It would be a disaster for our club as we know it. Don't get me wrong, I know the whole 'mercenary' players and tourist fans will feature in some way as our project takes off but nowhere near to the extent it would with a European Super League.

I couldn't choose to support a local team with the same passion I feel for NUFC so I dunno, really.

Hopefully it doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    It's a very good question.

i probably would, certainly to start with. And by that, I mean maybe the club would start to feel less like 'our' club as we get more and more 'tourist' fans and players who are only here for their own profile and pocket.We're a rich club, but we're not a ruch city and a lot of our fanbase would find it hard if not impossible to follow the team home and away when 'away' isn't getting up at 4 in the morning to drive South or whatever, but a flight to Germany, Spain, France or Italy.

It would be a disaster for our club as we know it. Don't get me wrong, I know the whole 'mercenary' players and tourist fans will feature in some way as our project takes off but nowhere near to the extent it would with a European Super League.

I couldn't choose to support a local team with the same passion I feel for NUFC so I dunno, really.

Hopefully it doesn't happen.
    I think i'd be the same as you Zippity.

As much as I don't want it, i would still give it a chance at first.

Maybe the negatives wouldn't be quite as bad as we expect.

The problem is, if i didn't support Newcastle, i think i would leave football altogether There were times I nearly did that during the Ashley days, but it's a bit like having a child that you support no matter what. I've been following Newcastle too long to give it up easily. I suspect most fans will continue following their team, no matter how much they hate the idea of a superleague.

I used the word "ruin" above, but maybe I shoukd have just said "change". It would change football forever, and it would be hard at first, but we'd get used to it until it became the norm.

I think things would have to be absolutely unimaginably dire before a lot of us stopped following our teams. I suppose thats the tribal nature of human beings for you!

I can actually see the european super league becoming a thing without the premier league at first. It may even strengthen the premier league in the long run.,

I have no choice.

I would still follow NUFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sclox View Post
    I have no choice.

I would still follow NUFC.
    It’s either this or stop watching football.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    It’s either this or stop watching football.
    We will always have our eyes on NUFC but if it goes global with NUFC v Barca in Tokyo we will lose interest.

Blyth Spartans will become the big club on Tyneside

This is a great question.

I think that initially like others I would continue to follow toon but I'd struggle to engage with Barca in Dubai for example.

Whilst I wouldn't stop supporting the toon, I could well imagine I end up going to more games with Dad/Grandad to Cherries or Baggies.

I don't know, I just hope it doesn't happen.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)