+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Harrogate

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    I agree. There must be some spirit there. That's what recent results tell us. So, it must be tactics then. The fact that the team play everything slowly without verve and lack of outwardly obvious spirit must be how they are told to play.

I did not go yesterday Gazan but watching the highlights it looked 2 very poor teams lacking in any real quality as I know that you did go would that be a fair assessment ?

Tbf, Wartman, you're assessment is almost right. One of the major differences was that for 80 minutes Harrogate were quicker and hungrier and generally well organised and were prepared to use anything to help them get a result. However, there was little skill evident. For the Alex, there was skill evident. Tabiner, despite his recent positive performance was hardly given the ball in the first half. However, when he did get it, it was clear he could handle it. Mcdonald claims not to be skillful but has an eye for a pass. Finnegan has plenty of skill on the ball. Unfortunately, his body shape sometimes causes an awkwardness. And Uwakwe reminded us that he signed as a LWB/winger ( so shouldn't be used as full-back in a back 4!). His goal also showed us that he can play with the ball. It was such a sweet touch with the outside of his foot that killed the ball but not dead but just enough for it to move away a little bit to give him room to swivel and shoot.
    After watching the game, it was clear to me that there is some talent but maybe it is being straitjacketed. There were so many repetitious moves:
    All of Richards' long kicks went down the left but nothing came from that side; every time we got the ball wide on the right it was then channelled back to the centre halves to play narrow. Nothing came of it until Tariq laid on a perfect through ball for Agyei to get the penalty.
    I could be wrong and it could be that a lot of the players can't think things through but it looks formulaic to me.
    So, what I'm saying, Wartman, is that yes, they were poor (not very) but there is talent in some of the Alex players.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Tbf, Wartman, you're assessment is almost right. One of the major differences was that for 80 minutes Harrogate were quicker and hungrier and generally well organised and were prepared to use anything to help them get a result. However, there was little skill evident. For the Alex, there was skill evident. Tabiner, despite his recent positive performance was hardly given the ball in the first half. However, when he did get it, it was clear he could handle it. Mcdonald claims not to be skillful but has an eye for a pass. Finnegan has plenty of skill on the ball. Unfortunately, his body shape sometimes causes an awkwardness. And Uwakwe reminded us that he signed as a LWB/winger ( so shouldn't be used as full-back in a back 4!). His goal also showed us that he can play with the ball. It was such a sweet touch with the outside of his foot that killed the ball but not dead but just enough for it to move away a little bit to give him room to swivel and shoot.
    After watching the game, it was clear to me that there is some talent but maybe it is being straitjacketed. There were so many repetitious moves:
    All of Richards' long kicks went down the left but nothing came from that side; every time we got the ball wide on the right it was then channelled back to the centre halves to play narrow. Nothing came of it until Tariq laid on a perfect through ball for Agyei to get the penalty.
    I could be wrong and it could be that a lot of the players can't think things through but it looks formulaic to me.
    So, what I'm saying, Wartman, is that yes, they were poor (not very) but there is talent in some of the Alex players.

Thanks Gazan do you think the team would benefit from an experienced management team I see Neil Critchley has become available experienced and knows the Crewe way would that improve the squad I do think Bell, Morris and Lunt are way out of their depths and certainly not management material nice blokes but that is where it ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    Thanks Gazan do you think the team would benefit from an experienced management team I see Neil Critchley has become available experienced and knows the Crewe way would that improve the squad I do think Bell, Morris and Lunt are way out of their depths and certainly not management material nice blokes but that is where it ends.
    Critchley would have to be happy to take a massive pay cut to come here and would always be on the look out for a position in a higher league. Truth is, we don't know if Bell makes a good manager or not because he hasn't had time to establish himself in the job. What I think is clear is that he has brought some battling spirit to the squad and that has yielded points and goals in recent matches. We really can't be changing managers with the same regularity we change Prime Ministers.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Critchley would have to be happy to take a massive pay cut to come here and would always be on the look out for a position in a higher league. Truth is, we don't know if Bell makes a good manager or not because he hasn't had time to establish himself in the job. What I think is clear is that he has brought some battling spirit to the squad and that has yielded points and goals in recent matches. We really can't be changing managers with the same regularity we change Prime Ministers.

Why ? Without change thinks don’t improve know do I think that Rishi Sinai is best choice no but he is definitely better than Boris do I think Bell is better than Artell definitely not but he was cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    Why ? Without change thinks don’t improve know do I think that Rishi Sinai is best choice no but he is definitely better than Boris do I think Bell is better than Artell definitely not but he was cheap.
    Unless things went on between Artell and the Chairman that I am unaware of, I think Artell was sacked prematurely. That said, Bell is now in charge and I am prepared to give him the time Artell had and that went pretty well.

As for Boris Johnson, Larry the cat would have been a better bet than him for PM!!!

I do worry about Bell but it's true, it's still early days and besides, in some recent games he has been prepared to change things drastically and these changes have paid off. I think (?) we are safe for this season so I am happy to give him a little time to develop and to manage 'his own' team. However, in our current state, as others have pointed out, we don't have the luxury of too much time to offer in terms of next season. So hopefully he can benefit from a close season to develop his own style.
    As for Sunak, is it worth making comparisons as the bar has been set very low recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Unless things went on between Artell and the Chairman that I am unaware of, I think Artell was sacked prematurely. That said, Bell is now in charge and I am prepared to give him the time Artell had and that went pretty well.

As for Boris Johnson, Larry the cat would have been a better bet than him for PM!!!
    Even a dead Larry the cat would have been better

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123