+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Proven goalscorer…

Proven goalscorer…

…is something we desperately lack, I’m afraid.

We have scored 48 goals, I believe, in the EFL, LC and FAC (7 goals in two games there vs non league opposition), and our top scorer is Thomas-Asante on 7…

Best nose for goal probably Grant, says it all…

Been a problem since Lukaku left.

Totally agree! Dike does not impress me in the slightest. I like Asante but he’s never going to be a Mitrovic. The number 1 position now is the biggest worry as I feel this will cost us a play off.

Hand on heart - nobody can convince me a top keeper would not have saved that free kick last night!!! Another two points lost. I worry without a top keeper going into the next two games and think we will lose them both!

The squad lacks depth and not the fault of CC. To have Livermore and Reach on 50K or more on the sidelines says it all!

Don't think anyone can disagree about our lack of a proven goalscorer. I like BTA a lot, especially his work rate and his ability to unsettle defenders, but he isn't going to get a load of goals for us and Dike certainly hasn't shown the potential he hinted at pre injury. (Tbh, the only player who seems to have the nack of hitting the back of the net regularly is Cleary but it's obvious he has a lot of work to do still before he can step up)

That said, I think that our lack of depth in the squad is a bigger problem for us than lack of a natural goal scorer. It's undoubtedly better if you do have a player who has that nose for goal but it's less necessary if you can have several players all contributing to your tally-and since the turn around brought on by CC I think that, aside from Sheffield, we are the club with the greatest number of players contributing goals? The problem is when we don't perform as in the Bristol and Blues games. I was working last night so couldn't follow the match but it seems that whilst several players-such as Yokuslu- were back to their previous form, others were still disappointing.

The championship is exceptionally tight points wise and it's a tough league. We cannot afford errors like the one last night that cost us valuable points. Griffiths will only get better and is a far better option than Button whose confidence is shot and is simply a liability who unsettles the team but now the rest of them need to start regaining the spirit and form we have demonstrated so well over the past few weeks. Our lack of squad depth doesn't present Corberan with many options so it is down to the ones we do have. Maybe a dip in form was inevitable but they need to be back at it -and fast- if we are still to have any chance of play-offs.

Our only hope on the Goalkeeper front is to convince Foster to make a comeback, but that would hinge on his fitness.

Brian Clough used to say the most important player is the keeper.

As for the other end of the pitch comparing who we’ve had in past championship challenges
    Hughes , Roberts, Phillips , Bedner , Gayle, J Rod
    In recent years, Zohore and Austin ( even Kanu scored plenty in that team) , Hugill , Robinson,
    Andy Carroll did ok I guess, Grant got his allotted but I just don’t rate him

Let’s not pretend BTA is anything other than a decent last 20 min sub.
    Promotion needs 2 really good strikers and another half decent one. We don’t have ONE

I thought Berahino before he went of center was good for some goals..

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)