+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Karius

Quote Originally Posted by toonlegend View Post
    regardless, im going to have the best weekend ever - watching Newcastle in a cup final that definitely wasn't in the tarot cards or even on the horizon earlier in this season. don't write us off yet - we are always better as the underdogs than as the favorites. Ive been to 2 finals in the 70's where basically the 1st one we just froze and didn't turn up = we were marginally better in the 2nd one against man city but not much - you know waht we still had an amazing weekend down in the big city, knowing london now better than we did then we will enjoy it even more regardless of what happens in the game.

just be proud we got there at all at this particular time
    Well said.

And this time, we can be safe in the knowledge that our shortcomings bother our manager (and possibly owners), as much as they bother the fans.

I tell you, it's our early season form that has raised expectations. That's all it is.

Quote Originally Posted by GBruno View Post
    I think management deserve criticism regarding our goalkeeping situation this season. It has been farcical. Yes you have to blame Pope for the red card, but we simply didn't plan for it. Now our 4th or 5th choice keepers are playing in our most important game for over a decade.

Why allow Dubravka to get cup tied? Why no recall option in Darlow's loan contract?

We are one of a few teams with at least 2 very decent keepers, but we've ruined it for the benefi of.....Manu!

Dubravka might get a winners medal if Manu beat us. You cannot write this stuff.
    WOW where do i start?

we had 5 keepers on the books, so how is it a management issue that we are needing to play Karius?

Secondly, im happier with Karius in goal than either Darlow or Dubravka

Dubravka didnt want to stay and fight for his place when pope arrived and wanted to go to Man Yoo instead

Darlow was never going to get a game for us and we needed him off the books

Pope got a red card so how could that be foreseen by the management?

Quote Originally Posted by TANYA_ View Post
    WOW where do i start?

we had 5 keepers on the books, so how is it a management issue that we are needing to play Karius?

Secondly, im happier with Karius in goal than either Darlow or Dubravka

Dubravka didnt want to stay and fight for his place when pope arrived and wanted to go to Man Yoo instead

Darlow was never going to get a game for us and we needed him off the books

Pope got a red card so how could that be foreseen by the management?
    Bruno, I get that you're frustrated, but Tanya is spot on.

Dubravka himself definitely made the decision to go on loan and, actually, signing Karius could turn out to be a masterstroke. It is massively ironic that Dubravka might get a medal but we couldn't loan him out and then say 'but you can't play in the cups'.

Let's be honest-this is Nick Pope's fault, it just is. That's not even a criticism but if he hadn't lost his head the other night we wouldn't be having this conversation.

And as for Pope, he hadn't taken a lot of criticism for what he did and that's as it should be because he's been magnificent for us. BUT, it shouldn't stop us from being able to say that, for a 'keeper to do what he did, was fucking ridiculous. The attempted clearance was poor enough but what he did subsequently was a horrific misjudgement. Yes, it was a mistake, but it was a bloody stupid one that not only could but should have been avoided.

phew. There. Glad I've got that out of my system.

I think most of you are under rating Karius. He's a fine keeper and had concussion during that final game for Liverpool.

Klipperty speaks highly of him and Liverpool did the full checks on him before they bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Bruno, I get that you're frustrated, but Tanya is spot on.

Dubravka himself definitely made the decision to go on loan and, actually, signing Karius could turn out to be a masterstroke. It is massively ironic that Dubravka might get a medal but we couldn't loan him out and then say 'but you can't play in the cups'.

Let's be honest-this is Nick Pope's fault, it just is. That's not even a criticism but if he hadn't lost his head the other night we wouldn't be having this conversation.

And as for Pope, he hadn't taken a lot of criticism for what he did and that's as it should be because he's been magnificent for us. BUT, it shouldn't stop us from being able to say that, for a 'keeper to do what he did, was fucking ridiculous. The attempted clearance was poor enough but what he did subsequently was a horrific misjudgement. Yes, it was a mistake, but it was a bloody stupid one that not only could but should have been avoided.

phew. There. Glad I've got that out of my system.

Sorry Zip, but i disagree with you and Tanya on this one, although i understand where you are coming from.

Goalkeepers can easily be sent off for all kinds of reasons and it doesn't neccessarily take a crazy decsion like Pope's for that to happen.

It is far from ideal that Karius is likely to make his debut for us in a cup final at Wembley. He could play the game of his life, strike up an instant understanding with our back four and we win famously, or it could all fall to pieces.

Dubravka didn't have to go out on loan, evidenced by the fact he's now back. We could have said shut up and stay put. We could have loaned him out but just said no to playing in cup games.

Howe took a massive gamble and it has come back to bite us. The loan deal has benefitted Manu far more than it did us. Quite odd to loan to a rival also. Chelsea wouldn't even entertain the idea of loaning Gallagher to us for that reason (or so i read).

I think we are being more forgiving because we all know its a transitiion period and we expect more opportunities. Imagine if this was the Bruce days and we knew another opportunity could be years away!

We've been unlucky in some ways with the goalkeeping situation, but we made it all possible.

Karius could be the best keeper in the world, but i doubt many teams would choose a cup final as a debut for their goalkeeper.

It is what it is, far from ideal, hopefully we learn from it. But it's largely our own doing.

I think we should wait till after the game before criticizing. I remember plenty of raised eyebrows when we signed Karius (including mine). Hopefully, on Sunday night we’ll be thankful we did?

Quote Originally Posted by toonlegend View Post
    people keep going on about Karius's disaster cup final - but didnt he have concussion ??? wasn't there no sub goalie to bring on?????

wasn't just that he was shyte was it
    yip, he helped get them to a european cup final then got a severe bang on the head

Quote Originally Posted by GBruno View Post
    Well said.

And this time, we can be safe in the knowledge that our shortcomings bother our manager (and possibly owners), as much as they bother the fans.

I tell you, it's our early season form that has raised expectations. That's all it is.

The bench mark of where we are compared to where we were and on to where we are going is just magnificent.

Let’s hope the lad has a blinder and becomes our second choice it will end up sour if Dubravka ended up with a winners medal.

Interesting little line in the Chron mentions that Karius had a regular day off this week and spent it in Milan with his girlfriend.

Obviously I haven't walked in his shoes and all that but that's an...interesting....choice, given the context.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)