+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - they really did NOT think this through...

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Thanks RS, a few cuts and bruises and a slightly re-designed nose!!
    Fortunately, as it was a cold wet day, I was wearing a heavy duffle coat with the hood up and that gave me some protection when the boots went in! As I said it was a bit 'lively' in the sixties following your team, I can recall one or two hairy moments!
    Blackpool away, Wolves at Derby Station, Wednesday on Derby Station, Leeds away, Leeds at BBG, Chelsea at BBG, ManU at BBG, Citeh at BBG, Spurs following the 3-5 Big Rog Cup replay, Red Dogs away and a Tuesday night at Millwall in 1984 to name but a few..... and an FA Cup game at Chester, Citeh's game had been postponed so they decided to become Cestrians for the day... Never a dull moment

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Blackpool away, Wolves at Derby Station, Wednesday on Derby Station, Leeds away, Leeds at BBG, Chelsea at BBG, ManU at BBG, Citeh at BBG, Spurs following the 3-5 Big Rog Cup replay, Red Dogs away and a Tuesday night at Millwall in 1984 to name but a few..... and an FA Cup game at Chester, Citeh's game had been postponed so they decided to become Cestrians for the day... Never a dull moment
    Bloody hooligan!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Bloody hooligan!
    One stands up for oneself. Always safer in a large group although one large group did tend to find other large groups while heading to the Bus station/railway station/ground. Blackpool, half a dozen of us having to fight our way onto the station to get the train back to Derby. Wednesday, I was going over the bridge to get to my train to Burton, jumped by 6 Wendy fans. Leeds away, me my mate and our respective GF's Chased out of Bellend Road by 30+ Yarkies who were hell bent on having a go, managed to stay ahead all the way to the station. Spurs, made my way back to the station to get the Ramaway having managed to avoid the running fights on the way to 7 Sisters tube. Got on the Ramaway and a bunch of Spurs fans vaulted the barriers on onto the train. They didn't stay on the train for long... Leeds at BBG, half a dozen of them causing problems in the Ley Stand. Stewards and police let them verbally abuse folk and spit on them despite several people asking them to stop them. A group of us from Willington decided enough was enough and told Plod if they weren't going to stop it we would. The kids were all 18 to 20, we were between late 20s and 40.... odds were even but they didn't fancy taking on blokes. They left. It was every day stuff back then. Thankfully there's a lot less of it these days.

One stands up for oneself. Always safer in a large group although one large group did tend to find other large groups while heading to the Bus station/railway station/ground. Blackpool, half a dozen of us having to fight our way onto the station to get the train back to Derby. Wednesday, I was going over the bridge to get to my train to Burton, jumped by 6 Wendy fans. Leeds away, me my mate and our respective GF's Chased out of Bellend Road by 30+ Yarkies who were hell bent on having a go, managed to stay ahead all the way to the station. Spurs, made my way back to the station to get the Ramaway having managed to avoid the running fights on the way to 7 Sisters tube. Got on the Ramaway and a bunch of Spurs fans vaulted the barriers on onto the train. They didn't stay on the train for long... Leeds at BBG, half a dozen of them causing problems in the Ley Stand. Stewards and police let them verbally abuse folk and spit on them despite several people asking them to stop them. A group of us from Willington decided enough was enough and told Plod if they weren't going to stop it we would. The kids were all 18 to 20, we were between late 20s and 40.... odds were even but they didn't fancy taking on blokes. They left. It was every day stuff back then. Thankfully there's a lot less of it these days.
    Just to be clear...I was joking and have never thought of you as a delinquent ‘Amster.

As you say MA it was everyday stuff, you had to learn self survival instincts so that you could sniff out any trouble and take evasive action eg run like hell! Most times there was any trouble the feds seemed to look the other way so it was no good relying on them. Nope self preservation was the order of the day. I'd do it all again!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Just to be clear...I was joking and have never thought of you as a delinquent ‘Amster.
    It was clear rA. Just thought I'd share how even "innocents" like me could get drawn into things. Legs served me well on some occasions, fists on others. It was what it was and I'm glad that, apart from the odd eejit, it happens far, far less these days.

It was clear rA. Just thought I'd share how even "innocents" like me could get drawn into things. Legs served me well on some occasions, fists on others. It was what it was and I'm glad that, apart from the odd eejit, it happens far, far less these days.
    Despite the 'situation' we may have faced as travelling fans on some occasions I thoroughly enjoyed my away matches, there is no doubt that the camaraderie was second to none! I don't recall any problems with blades or similar, that is a serious issue these days and would no doubt make another active thread!!
    No, 30 years of great times and great memories!!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Despite the 'situation' we may have faced as travelling fans on some occasions I thoroughly enjoyed my away matches, there is no doubt that the camaraderie was second to none! I don't recall any problems with blades or similar, that is a serious issue these days and would no doubt make another active thread!!
    No, 30 years of great times and great memories!!
    Is it more ‘serious’ today mac? You’re a bit older than me (b.1954)...but as a kid I remember Teddy Boys carrying blades and then Mods and Rockers. Skinheads weren’t a bundle of fun either...especially to those of us with long hair and loon pants...which weren’t great for running in!

On the football front I’ve been in a few scrapes and was once chased the length of the pitch after a match at Wigan RLFC’s Central Park before diving into our minibus and making a hasty exit. Would have made a brilliant try!
    Generally speaking though I’ve never felt remotely threatened at any match since the move to Pride Park and that wasn’t always the case at the BBG.

With regard to blades, yes there was plenty idiots about in my younger days but not 12, 13, 14 year olds like it seems is commonplace nowadays! But, as I say that's another thread for as mother day.
    With regard to PP, I agree there's less aggro between fans and that probably takes us down the 'regeneration' route where the quality of the stadium plays a role. Get back into the city (which is gob****e after the planners moved in!) and the atmosphere changes!
    I'm a young 76 by the way!

Another day not mothers day lolxx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)