+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shamima Begum

Shamima Begum

See she has been refused her bid to regain UK citizenship.

I know that many will be happy with this given her involvement in ISIS but personally I do not think it is right to make anyone stateless like this.

Quite aside from the various arguments around the case - was she "trafficked", as a 15 year old how vulnerable was she to indoctrination, are her claims of remorse genuine or not and how much of a threat does she really pose to national security-isn't the bottom line that if someone is born in the UK and has UK citizenship that the state then also takes responsibility for them on the international stage rather than passing the problem on?

She is -or was-a UK citizen and so why cannot this status be retained and she return to this country for trial ? Yes, it would mean extra cost for the taxpayer that many would claim she doesn't deserve being spent on her, but we already spend millions on keeping people locked up for life who have done worse.

For the record, whilst I do not doubt there was an element of both trafficking and indoctrination, from what I have gleaned from those who have interviewed her her remorse does not seem wholly genuine and she appears immune to some of the barbarity she witnessed. Whether she really poses a threat to national security seems doubtful to me but this is the main argument used against giving her back citizenship so presumably more in it than meets the eye.

All the above considered though, I just think that it is a dangerous step on a slippery slope to wash your hands of a problem and place anyone in the limbo that comes with being stateless. Yes, she left the UK to fight against its interests but surely she should then still stand trial in the UK for this and face the consequences. If this was a murderer with UK citizenship who fled the country we would bring them back to face justice so why not a terrorist or her?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    See she has been refused her bid to regain UK citizenship.

I know that many will be happy with this given her involvement in ISIS but personally I do not think it is right to make anyone stateless like this.

Quite aside from the various arguments around the case - was she "trafficked", as a 15 year old how vulnerable was she to indoctrination, are her claims of remorse genuine or not and how much of a threat does she really pose to national security-isn't the bottom line that if someone is born in the UK and has UK citizenship that the state then also takes responsibility for them on the international stage rather than passing the problem on?

She is -or was-a UK citizen and so why cannot this status be retained and she return to this country for trial ? Yes, it would mean extra cost for the taxpayer that many would claim she doesn't deserve being spent on her, but we already spend millions on keeping people locked up for life who have done worse.

For the record, whilst I do not doubt there was an element of both trafficking and indoctrination, from what I have gleaned from those who have interviewed her her remorse does not seem wholly genuine and she appears immune to some of the barbarity she witnessed. Whether she really poses a threat to national security seems doubtful to me but this is the main argument used against giving her back citizenship so presumably more in it than meets the eye.

All the above considered though, I just think that it is a dangerous step on a slippery slope to wash your hands of a problem and place anyone in the limbo that comes with being stateless. Yes, she left the UK to fight against its interests but surely she should then still stand trial in the UK for this and face the consequences. If this was a murderer with UK citizenship who fled the country we would bring them back to face justice so why not a terrorist or her?

I hope she rots in the Syrian camp before going to hell!

She’s an adult for f uck sake and knew exactly what she was doing!! I will go one step further for nationals who obtain British Citizenship like that Polish scum who raped and murdered that Hull University Student - they should have their citizenship and passport revoked immediately and in the case of this Polish murderer - sent back to Poland!

Too soft in this country and makes my blood boil!

Not for me Omeg although I understand your view. The precedent allowing her to return would be one of ‘soft touch Britain’ again and people are sick of being walked over.

I imagine it’s sketchy from a legal perspective, but who really cares if she doesn’t return? I would hate to think she returns and was being watched 24/7 at tax payers expense because they couldn’t have an terror related incident when they had the option of not revoking her citizenship.

As I understand it she has Bangladeshi citizenship through one or both of her parents, therefore she is not stateless.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    As I understand it she has Bangladeshi citizenship through one or both of her parents, therefore she is not stateless.

But there’s no benefits there! That’s why the dinghies are full of these people!

Surely if someone wanted a British passport then they wouldn’t mind going to Rwanda for processing or to earn their keep immediately by community service/picking up rubbish etc! Our old folk are freezing and some can’t afford to eat!

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    If that’s true, she should be ”returned” to Bangladesh.

But, if there were no other citizenship than the UK, where would she go? It would not be right to dump her on any other country (and the same would of course apply for all countries, we/Sweden have our fair share of ”IS-travellers”).

They should send her back to us...........hard to believe there's anywhere more miserable than here to live these days!

No quarter given to her .she hates this country and wants its demise.don’t give a toss what happens to her.hope she has a painful life.sorry for sitting on the fence.

If she is so intent to live back in the UK then perhaps her best option would be to find a way to Calais and catch one of the many dinghies that cross the Channel every day.

Omeg I think she is doing the whole crocodile tears thing

Absolute monster in my eyes, using being from an unfortunate background as her defence
    Plenty of people are few are groomed or feel that behaving like she did is acceptable

https://twitter.com/emilyhewertson/s...12/mediaviewer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)