+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Allotment Watch

Just bought some compost and carrot, onion, tomato and parsley seeds. When is the latest I can plant these outside and inside? Maybe I’m too late! I blame this thread for doing such a silly thing. How much compost is best for each?

I don't think you can be too late, especially when it's still March.

I delayed until about 10 days ago but that's still too early, green beans are about 9 inches tall and will no doubt die if I try to plant them out.

Don't even ask about courgettes, the only thing in the world I'm allergic to and of course there's no stopping them.

A courgette a day......etc.

Edit: I don't think I'm going to be able to kill the courgettes, no matter what I do.
    Last edited by donsdaft; 24-03-2023 at 11:47 AM.

You’ll need to do something with them. They never stop growing

Fückin magic beans.

Hemmin, neeps min, courgette wine?
    Last edited by donsdaft; 24-03-2023 at 12:23 PM.

I think I can hear something chiming.

The singing ringing courgette.

Quote Originally Posted by Shetland Don View Post
    Just bought some compost and carrot, onion, tomato and parsley seeds. When is the latest I can plant these outside and inside? Maybe I’m too late! I blame this thread for doing such a silly thing. How much compost is best for each?
    Depends on the latitude of your location. I usually leave things 2-3 weeks after the sowing dates given on the packets, as they seem to be some sort of British Isles average. I’m at 57°N on the east coast, about 300’ above sea level, with prevailing SW winds, but with the plots in southerly a position to get maximum sunshine which also helps get the warmth into my compost bins.

I’m always a bit careful given that The Teuchat Storm and Gab O Mey can fûck up careful planning, especially in NE Scotland.

This might help: https://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/wp-...g-timeline.pdf
    Last edited by 57vintage; 24-03-2023 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Depends on the latitude of your location. I usually leave things 2-3 weeks after the sowing dates given on the packets, as they seem to be some sort of British Isles average. I’m at 57°N on the east coast, about 300’ above sea level, with prevailing SW winds, but with the plots in southerly a position to get maximum sunshine which also helps get the warmth into my compost bins.

I’m always a bit careful given that The Teuchat Storm and Gab O Mey can fûck up careful planning, especially in NE Scotland.

This might help: https://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/wp-...g-timeline.pdf
    That’s a useful link. Thanks to all for the replies.

I would advise all who grow veg in this part of the world, whether in the garden or on an allotment, to get yer hands on a book entitled 'The Beechgrove Garden' by Jim McColl and Carole Baxter.

Ah'm nae suggestin' it's the only book you should use, but it is absolutely invaluable for info relevant to our location and climate ... planting times etc.

Best example? I had a terrible time growing carrots ... always riddled wi carrot fly - but after finding out from said book that all I had to do was change the time of year to sow, I had no more carrot fly rage

I managed to kill the courgettes.

Planted seeds at home far too early of course, complete waste of space and time.

Anyway I'm away this weekend so stuff had to be planted out and this week's temperature has finished those off.

Wild garlic has taken very well though and the strawberries are coming on a treat.

I even had my first harvest, mmmm rhubarb.

Things being handed over two 2 daughters who are showing some sort of interest so there's hope for a May sowing of seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I managed to kill the courgettes.

Planted seeds at home far too early of course, complete waste of space and time.

Anyway I'm away this weekend so stuff had to be planted out and this week's temperature has finished those off.

Wild garlic has taken very well though and the strawberries are coming on a treat.

I even had my first harvest, mmmm rhubarb.

Things being handed over two 2 daughters who are showing some sort of interest so there's hope for a May sowing of seeds.
    Strawberries are fairly easy to grow. Even we do a good job with them and we usually kill everything.

Our rhubard has fairly exploded to life these past few weeks. Look forward to that, although I made an arse of cooking last year's final batch.

Is that you retired now?

I noticed your shop was under a new name on my way back from the game on Sunday.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast